2013 HBBR Events

Ok chaps, here is a broad brush stab at events for the year:

February row/paddle - its the only way to keep warm
March Madness - Hamble. Weekend event (but both days not compulsory, see below)
April Ems - Northney for weekenders, cakes at Emsworth
St Denys - May 11th?
Beale, Hairpin Raid - June
July - ?
Cobnor - August
River Severn - September
Autumn Hamble Weekend - October (+/- weather), hard core campers/live aboards, softies who blag a floor to sleep on, filthy rich who get a B&B   A weekend justifies the travel, pub dinner Saturday, easy sail Sunday
November - its not as bad as you think, weather is wacky these days, Hamble on a mild weekend

Comments please!

Bloody rip-off Government won't let tax payers access future tide tables...paid for by the hard work of our grandparent's, parent's, parent's parents when Britannia ruled the waves. Somebody please send me local tide tables before I go nuts....

Re: 2013 HBBR Events

Try wxtide - www.wxtide32.com/

Re: 2013 HBBR Events

On 7 Feb 2013 at 14:21, adminHBBR [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> Bloody rip-off Government won't let tax payers access future tide
> tables...paid for by the hard work of our grandparent's, parent's,
> parent's parents when Britannia ruled the waves. Somebody please send
> me local tide tables before I go nuts....

Pay the lifetime membership of £20 to visitmyharbour.com and get tide
tables, tide stream atlases and UK coastal admiralty charts, along
with lots of pilotage info.

--
Hoping for calm nights

Alastair Law,

Re: 2013 HBBR Events

Simon,

I had to fiddle with the WxTide program to make it work, but it agrees with the Admiralty Easy Tide website within about 10 minutes and 10cm, which is good enough for us.

Al,
I had a look at VisitMyHarbour - there's no need to join if you zoom into the picture of tide tables:
http://www.visitmyharbour.com/tides/59/uk-tables/portsmouth-tide-tables

Using Portsmouth as a reference Sunday 17th Feb looks good for the Horse and Jockey up the Hamble, a "neap-ish" low of 1.7m at 09:23 and a high of 3.9m at 16:18.  Assuming we have enough water on the rising tide there will be no rush to get back from the pub. Of course Saturday, an hour earlier, might be better - anyone know the Portsmouth-Hamble offset?

Re: 2013 HBBR Events

Paul

First High Water at Southampton on 16th Feb is 14.40 GMT. Height 4.0m

I would be cautious about heading to the H & J on a neapish tide especially if you want to hang around and carouse for long.  The Ancient and Vulnerable usually wait for a Spring which would be 4.5 or above.
Could be very muddy.
Either way I'll be in Scotland so have a good time.
Cheers
Grum.

PS Tide tables ( on handy paper) from Warsash Nautical Bookshop.  orders@nauticalbooks.co.uk

Re: 2013 HBBR Events

Happily for us, whoever arranges these things has ordained that lunchtime high tides are springs, which is handy for us.

Re: 2013 HBBR Events

This week (and half of next week) the weather is perfect for a re-run of the gloriously sunny 2009 Upper Thames Raid.

I know some people need several months warning, but does anybody think we should consider "flash" raids where things are organised as and when the weather permits?

Its fairly impossible to plan for good weather these days - you have to grab the good weather when it comes along.

Just a thought...

Re: 2013 HBBR Events

The Solent Area DCA is meeting at the Folly Inn on Saturday week (20th July, HW about 21.00)

And I'm just thinking of wrapping the "Five Harbours" round it

Will that do?

Re: 2013 HBBR Events

Like the idea of "flash raids". Currently getting delightfully roasted in France so regretfully (only slightly) can't be there myself.

If if happens have fun!

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 9 Jul 2013, at 15:10, "Paul (admin) [via UK HBBR Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

This week (and half of next week) the weather is perfect for a re-run of the gloriously sunny 2009 Upper Thames Raid.

I know some people need several months warning, but does anybody think we should consider "flash" raids where things are organised as and when the weather permits?

Its fairly impossible to plan for good weather these days - you have to grab the good weather when it comes along.

Just a thought...

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/2013-HBBR-Events-tp4026164p4026727.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

Re: 2013 HBBR Events

The Ancient & Vulnerable are taking Harry's Girl and the Lugger to the Dr*sc*mbe Rally at Ashlett Creek this weekend. Thanks to both ends being very tidal we plan to leave A&V at 5.00am Sat, then nip into Warsash for brunch to wait for water at Ashlett Creek, returning Sunday.
After that the Tooth Fairy and I are off to The Gower with boogie boards and wet suits. (Big Kids).

So a bit busy the moment. Good Call though.
Randonneur Randonneur

Re: 2013 HBBR Events

Was with the DCA at Poole last week and a couple of HBBs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27533969@N05/

Currently out of the country so no Raiding this weekend.

On 9 Jul 2013 17:50, "Timmo [via UK HBBR Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/2013-HBBR-Events-tp4026164p4026730.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]