2013 planning

123

2013 planning

Well the very pleasant and particularly enjoyable last hurrah (see http://port-na-storm.blogspot.co.uk) seemed to mark the end of HBBR get togethers for 2012. Time to think ahead?

The Lechlade raid was clearly popular and I've heard people suggest it could be repeated again. Might get good weather if we keep trying. The weakest points this year were the initial launch site and first two nights camp locations. If a repeat is planned it would be worth getting booking the Trout Inn campsite before any steam rallies get there first. That sorts launching and the first night. If an overnight location for the Monday night can be found that could accommodate the whole group, preferably with space ashore to rig a shelter and encourage people to get together, it would help the coherence of the event.

If the plan is, as in the past, to travel down for an arrival at Beale for the show I will have to cry off this year. I have managed to book work into that week (a mistake!) If the work is cancelled I'll be up for the trip. Happy to pass any organisational data I have across to anyone willing to take it on. Apart from that Monday night location it is pretty much sorted.

Meanwhile I have my eyes on some other trips. One day I will get a boat suitable for more exposed waters, in the meantime (Želva having been designed for inland cruising) I'll suggest sheltered trips.

One I'd like to propose is the route from Bath to Reading on the Kennet and Avon canal and the Kennet. It goes through some beautiful and less populated areas of Southern England. 74 miles in all, 56 miles wide canal, 18 miles river, 92 locks (16 of them in one short flight!) 1 tunnel. Looks like a comfortable 5 day trip at Thames raid speeds. Clearly not a problem for sleep aboards, haven't investigated camping, though for a small group I'd expect plenty of opportunity for discreet pitching on the towpath. Might need more planning for a larger group. Could start from Beale and occupy the week after the show heading toward Bath. Means going upstream on the Kennet but once on the canal will make little difference. Not yet investigated slipways and things at either end. Will do if anyone shows interest.

Another that could link with a get-together on the Severn is the Droitwich short ring (http://www.droitwichspamarina.co.uk/development.html). described as "a short 21 mile cruising circle, connecting the Worcester-Birmingham Canal to theRiver Severn via Droitwich Spa and the River Salwarpe." Canal and river pass through Worcester and some nice countryside. This one has 10 miles narrow canal, 9 miles wide, 3 miles 'lively' river (!) 1 tunnel, 21 narrow locks, 8 wide locks, 1 huge river lock. Only 22 miles in total. Narrow canals will force oarsmen to adapt but 10 miles could be sculled/yulohed in some boats.

Any comments, other suggestions, reactions?

Re: 2013 planning

Timmo,

Sorry I could not make the Hamble run - next time I should have MilliBee's elongated plug hole well and truly plugged.

Some great research there, lets split the ideas in 3:

A) Thames Raid

B) Kennet and Avon

C) Droitwich Ring

I like the idea of B) and C).

B) The Kennet and Avon flows through Bathhampton past the George Inn here, where Dilys and myself spent many happy hours during our student days at Bath Uni.

Real Ale is popular in that area and there are lovely country pubs dotted around. One popular pub was the Rose and Crown at Hinton Charterhouse here, its 30 mins walk from the canal but probably 5 mins shorter coming back!

Of course the pubs will have changed hands many times the last 30 years, so who wants to join a reccy trip?

Re: 2013 planning

Hi Tim, Well done for getting the ball rolling.

Here are my personal views which as ever may not reflect those of the management.

The Upper Thames raid is very enjoyable and I'd recommend it to anyone, but I won't be doing it again for a few years. Been there done that, but one week end I might camp at the Trout and see how far up stream I can get.
If the camp sites along a particular route aren't big enough then I think that's telling us something. I'd rather keep the groups to a manageable size even if that means running the event more than once.

I like the idea of doing the Kennet and Avon. I wouldn't try to fit it in with Beale though, it just adds another complication and restricts when it can be held. Also see above re group size.

Static rallies based around camp sites like Barton Turf, Cobnor, Poole Harbour etc. can accommodate bigger groups and are flexible so a couple of those each year would be good and gives the opportunity for some decent sailing especially for those with bigger boats.

It would be great to see some of our members who live in farther flung areas organising events in their corners of the world, don't wait to be asked folks.

I am as ever..............

Re: 2013 planning

I agree with Graham, organizing trips around Beale adds too much complication. It's far better to have the freedom to adjust plans at the last minute, to avoid bad weather or allow for a slower/faster pace or explore tributaries if time and weather permits.

We could organise a Beale camping event, for members who have boats in the building competition and a social event. That assumes the organisers would allow us to camp of course. Perhaps we could have a HBBR stand at the lake with our boats on display....or join the DCA stand. Entering the competition and sailing the Thames is a trip too far...been there, done that and regretted it.

A longer cruise at Cobnor would be good for those with bigger boats, anchoring overnight near Hayling and other locations around the harbour.

-Paul

David Bewick David Bewick

Re: 2013 planning

Yes, as the evenings draw in, it must be getting time to sit in front of the stove with a nice glass of something warming and dream about future boat trips in the sun (well it must happen, one day!), so thanks to Tim for kicking this off.

Personally, I very much like the idea of the Kennett and Avon canal and I am going to have a good look through the Waterways guide book when I get a few minutes.  I have a few other thoughts, too.

A while ago, I floated the idea (no pun intended) of a short meet on the Dart, although it has to be said, there was limited enthusiasm for the idea amongst the masses.  I still think this is a fantastic venue for small boat sailing and I would be happy to do a bit of leg work to get something organised.

Also, it is the Old Gaffers 50th anniversary next year and they are organising a whole load of special events.  The trailer section are going to have a rally for small boats in Cardiff bay from 28th July - 1st July.  I hope to be going to this but it looks like it would be like a fantastic venue for an HBBR event, too.  The bay is now non-tidal and well suited for small boat sailing with raiding opportunities up the feeding rivers.  Also, the more adventurous can lock-out into the Bristol Channel, if they really need to.  OGA Cardiff Bay Rally  . See what you think.

Best regards,

David.

Re: 2013 planning - Broads Raid?

I hear rumours of a Raid on the Broads being organised for the first or second week of August.  Keep your eye on the English Raids site http://www.raidengland.org/ apparently.

Simon
Barton Turf

Re: 2013 planning - Broads Raid?

I have just checked out the English Raid site

Unless I am on the wrong page (as usual), then there are no new 'comments' for 2013 yet, however I did happen to see one from a Peter Thomas, who in December 2011 described himself as a newcomer to raiding.  He also decribed his boat:

"....my Tela dayboat doesn’t have rowlocks, just paddles when she behaves like a hippo with a broken leg and a hangover"

Wonderful!

Re: 2013 planning - Broads Raid?

simplesimon wrote
I hear rumours of a Raid on the Broads being organised for the first or second week of August.
That will most likely clash with the combined DCA/HBBR Cobnor meet, which historically is held in the first or second week of August, running 9 days from a Friday afternoon to a Sunday afternoon.

Re: 2013 planning - Broads Raid?

Chris Waite wrote
I have just checked out the English Raid site
Unless I am on the wrong page (as usual), then there are no new 'comments' for 2013 yet
Give them time!!  I don't think they want to post anything until they have the details worked out.

There is a Norfolk & Suffolk Boating Assoc coordinating meeting next week that sorts out the timing of all major events on the Broads for next year. I think we need to wait for that at least in case the dates change.

Simon

Re: 2013 planning - Broads Raid?

simplesimon wrote
There is a Norfolk & Suffolk Boating Assoc
You have to be in the know...

Confusingly, their web site is:
http://www.thegreenbook.org.uk/

Re: 2013 planning - Broads Raid?

I am told the Broads Raid will start on 5th August
at Barton Turf Adventure Centre.

Since this came via the 'phone answering machine, I've no further details yet.

Simon
David Bewick David Bewick

Re: 2013 planning - Broads Raid?

There is more info about this on the English Raid site.  I am sure this will appeal to many HBBRers but it seems they need to limit the number of entries to about 20 so it might be a case of get in early, if you are interested.

Best regards,

David

Re: 2013 planning - Broads Raid?

Compared with our HBBR expeditions

Raids like the 'English' and 'Caledonia' ones, charge an eye-watering price to my mind; then insert a load of Molly with their coddle, back-up boats, bed, board, bath.

It's hardly an exercise in sailing-self-sufficiency, is it?

Armchair Outings Inc.

CW
Gizzle Gizzle

Re: 2013 planning - Broads Raid?

Chris Waite wrote
Compared with our HBBR expeditions

Raids like the 'English' and 'Caledonia' ones, charge an eye-watering price to my mind; then insert a load of Molly with their coddle, back-up boats, bed, board, bath.

It's hardly an exercise in sailing-self-sufficiency, is it?

Armchair Outings Inc.

CW
That's weird, I thought I had posted a responce to this - user error I expect so I'll try again.

Sorry to disagree with you Chris but having done the English raid this summer I thought it was very good value considering that it includes all food and camping costs.  It may not be an exercise in sailing self-sufficiency but it is not designed to be so.
I would like to take part in the 2013 raid but it clashes with the Fastnet Race, very bad timing!

All the best

On 15 Nov 2012 at 11:17, Gizzle [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> Chris Waite wrote
> > Compared with our HBBR expeditions
> >
> > Raids like the 'English' and 'Caledonia' ones, charge an
> > eye-watering price to my mind; then insert a load of Molly with
> > their coddle, back-up boats, bed, board, bath.
> >
> > It's hardly an exercise in sailing-self-sufficiency, is it?
> >
> > CW
>

> Sorry to disagree with you Chris but having done the English raid this
> summer I thought it was very good value considering that it includes
> all food and camping costs.  It may not be an exercise in sailing
> self-sufficiency but it is not designed to be so. I would like to take
> part in the 2013 raid but it clashes with the Fastnet Race, very bad
> timing!

I'm with Chris here. £210 is more than I paid for launching, camping
and food for the whole of the last year. (A total of 34 nights
afloat).

--
Hoping for calm nights

Alastair Law,

Re: 2013 planning - Broads Raid?

Ho George!

I think you have a good point and I apologize if it came across as arrogant.  Life is so regulated these days that an old goat gets to feeling the lack of freedom and the urge comes to "kick against [a few] pricks".  At the age of fourteen or not much more, my dear old dad and a friend took a leaky, fourteen-foot, clinker dinghy from Leigh-on-Sea in the Thames estuary half way to Holland before they decided that they weren't quite sure about it, so turned round and came home again; his parents hadn't a clue half of what he got up to.  I am extremely lucky to have been taught my sailing by him, from cutting my first tooth on a rope.

There must/should have been cheers when I capsized 'Rosie Mae' on the Broads last year.

Having the sort of organization associated with those two and other raids, makes for a very enjoyable holiday, where folk can stretch their sailing skills in sensible safety and comfort.  However, I have reached the feral stage where I get my kicks from home-grown, pant-seat, bilge-soaked cruising, with the olfactory effects to prove it, then I have no one to blame but myself.  Anyway it'll likely all catch up with me sometime before forever.

Better drowned than duffers; if not duffers, won't drown

Chris

Re: 2013 planning - Broads Raid?

"There must/should have been cheers when I capsized 'Rosie Mae' on the Broads last year. "

In Ever Hopeful there was nothing but sympathy and commiseration, C-Dubz. And relief that we had decided to forswear dangerous and unpredictable sails and row our way out.

Re: 2013 planning - Broads Raid?

Talking of Health and Safety:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBedn_vqC20

On 16 Nov 2012 at 5:36, Chris Waite [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> Talking of Health and Safety:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBedn_vqC20
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBedn_vqC20>

That would never have been allowed when I worked with aircraft, She
wasn't wearing a fluorescent jacket!

--
Hoping for calm nights

Alastair Law,

Re: 2013 planning - Broads Raid?

alopenboat wrote
That would never have been allowed when I worked with aircraft, She
wasn't wearing a fluorescent jacket!
Don't get me started about the hi vis jacket mafia............

When I was flying regularly I bought one of the ones that Flyer magazine had made, with the text "I'm only wearing this to cover someone else's arse" in bold letters across the back.  I never did understand why climbing out of the cockpit suddenly made me invisible unless I put one of these blasted things on, especially at some little grass strip like Old Sarum, where I'd usually park within yards of where people were sitting outside drinking coffee (minus hi vis jackets).
123