2014 Planning

123
Randonneur Randonneur

2014 Planning

It's only just gone 1700 here but now its dark and windy accompanied by horizontal rain!
The change of the clocks means that winter will soon be upon us, and with it, the time to plan ahead for long summer days, playing on our little home-made craft.

Last year, at this time, we discussed 3 options for a summer get together, namely:

A) Thames Raid
B) Kennet and Avon
C) Droitwich Ring

Well we've done A&B, so that only leaves C outstanding.
But I'm sure there are other endless possibilities.
Some have mentioned the Broads, The Severn, The Dart etc.

I shall certainly be taking a few days to do (C) above and am also currently planning parts of the upper Severn.

So can we throw some options into the think tank and mull over them collectively during the coming  short days when we're taking a break from sawdust and epoxy.

We're looking for where and when.

I need to get leave booked if we're considering Beale fortnight, and I'm hoping to get free entry in this year if I can find where I've put my plane and chisels...

So any suggestions?

Go!

Re: 2014 Planning

I've got tangled with work the week leading up to Beale next year. Would like to do something week after (and/or at other times.)

Await suggestions.

Also want to test interest in a possible idea for spring/early summer 2015 sometime. Haven't done a proper recce yet, but I feel the Charante beckoning. More likely to get good weather, it's a beautiful river passing through some spectacular towns depending on what stretch we tackle (lower reaches are quite wide passing through Saintes and Cognac for example.)

Not yet done any serious recces, but hope to over next year.

Would anyone be interested?

Meanwhile haven't seen the programme about the Trent yet, but it sounds an interesting river, would that be a 2013 possibility?

Tim.

On 27 Oct 2013, at 17:36, Randonneur [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

Last year, at this time, we discussed 3 options for a summer get together, namely:

A) Thames Raid
B) Kennet and Avon
C) Droitwich Ring

Well we've done A&B, so that only leaves C outstanding.
But I'm sure there are other endless possibilities.
Some have mentioned the Broads, The Severn, The Dart etc.

Re: 2014 Planning

Pete,
The simple principle of HBBR is, if you want a rally, organise it.
So based on that, if you fancy doing the "The Ring", then decide when you would like to do it and we'll come.
Well I will do my best to come anyway, and yes I would prefer a couple of square metres of solid ground to call home of an evening.
Graham.

PS Pam is getting a lot of use these days which is great, I'm interested to know what you are thinking about building.
Randonneur Randonneur

Re: 2014 Planning

Port-Na-Storm wrote
Pete,
The simple principle of HBBR is, if you want a rally, organise it.
So based on that, if you fancy doing the "The Ring", then decide when you would like to do it and we'll come.
Well I will do my best to come anyway, and yes I would prefer a couple of square metres of solid ground to call home of an evening.
Graham.

PS Pam is getting a lot of use these days which is great, I'm interested to know what you are thinking about building.
Graham,

Yes, I'm just putting out the feelers for  a possible Pre/Post Beale event next year.

The Worcestershire ring is only a 2 or 3 day max event.
I've already tracked down a campsite right on the river/canal bank at Hawford for one night,
http://plus.google.com/100870493415051531689/about?gl=uk&hl=en
with a pub 3/4 mile away. I just need to come up with a second spot! (I'll wild camp if I'm alone!)

The entire ring is 21 miles and more suited to the lighter/canoe type vessel.

I 'll announce a date when things get firmed up next year
I may extend it to take in the Severn as far as Tewkesbury for a longer trip.

This is the ring, best done counter clockwise to go with the flow on the Severn.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=215284344909307874946.0004b0316d54988ad55df&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=52.227589,-2.178211&spn=0.105147,0.154667&z=13&source=embed

Pam has only clocked 52 miles since I picked her up.
Next planned outing is underground on 30th November in the Dudley Tunnels, but with luck I'll put in a few more miles before then.

The new build?
Well, with luck, it will be a curvy little number by a designer with the initials IO....
wr1
David Bewick David Bewick

Re: 2014 Planning

Hey chaps, does anyone fancy a little trip over the channel next year (June 28th/29th)?  I have been looking at the Route du Sable website.  The website is a good test for the schoolboy French but, unless I have completely got hold of the wrong end of the stick, it looks like a nice little jaunt for the sail and oar brigade and I am sure there will be food and wine involved.  I guess one might even find something close by to amuse the non-boaty people in the family.  I am seriously considering press ganging a crew for it.

Season's greetings and all that...

David.

Re: 2014 Planning

Frustratingly, because I think there's some great trips to be done in France, I'm required to attend a wedding that weekend. So not me this year.

Tim.

On 20 Dec 2013, at 16:52, David Bewick [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey chaps, does anyone fancy a little trip over the channel next year (June 28th/29th)?  I have been looking at the Route du Sable website.  The website is a good test for the schoolboy French but, unless I have completely got hold of the wrong end of the stick, it looks like a nice little jaunt for the sail and oar brigade and I am sure there will be food and wine involved.  I guess one might even find something close by to amuse the non-boaty people in the family.  I am seriously considering press ganging a crew for it.

LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: 2014 Planning

Sounds interesting, are you looking for crew?
Experienced sailor but was record breaking rubbish
at french in my schooldays.
Otherwise anybody fancy a Thames trip? I have been
assisting Sue's cousins retired husband in building a rowing
dinghy and it will be ready soonish
Merry Christmas all
Ho Ho Ho
Steve
John P John P

Re: 2014 Planning

David Bewick wrote
Hey chaps, does anyone fancy a little trip over the channel next year (June 28th/29th)?  I have been looking at the Route du Sable website.  <snip></snip>

Season's greetings and all that...

David.
Hi David, we were there with Roger Barnes in 2011, I have written an account here:
http://www.hostellerssailingclub.org.uk/index.php/articles/sailing-festivals/74-route-du-sable-r-aulne-west-brittany-2011

Was good fun, but it is only a two day event, if you are travelling all the way from UK you may want to extend the trip by exploring a bit more of the R. Aulne and the Rade du Brest, as we did.
John
David Bewick David Bewick

Re: 2014 Planning

Steve,

Thanks for the offer but I was expecting the press-ganging to start a bit closer to home - I just need to find the right time to suggest it!  I'll let you know if I need a crew.

John,

Thanks for the link to your article.  Despite what you might have thought from our trip down the Thames in 2012, I am a fair weather sailor at heart.  If I take my boat over to France, I will be expecting sun and lots of it!

Best regards,

David.

Re: 2014 Planning

David
I would want a weeks sailing if travelling that far.

How about... head south on the Rhone sampling every wine/cheese establishment on the starboard side for 3 days, turn round and repeat.

Re: 2014 Planning

Closer to home,
I see that the Old Gaffers Trailer Section are holding a weekend at The Trout at Lechlade on 31st May - 1st June which is the weekend before the re-vamped under new management Beale Park Boat & Leisure Festival on 6 - 8 June.
I'm not sure whether the re-vamp will mean more or fewer Morris Dancers.
LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: 2014 Planning

Hi,
Sounds interesting, are they going for a trip down the river or just congregating in the bar?
Steve

Re: 2014 Planning

New management?

I hope they are not "barking mad"

Re: 2014 Planning

The Old Gaffers are planning a couple of days pootling on the river based at The Trout, mainly rowing I believe.
It'll be interesting to see how Beale develops, with or without the aquatic pooches.

Re: 2014 Planning

On 2 Jan 2014 at 8:38, Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> The Old Gaffers are planning a couple of days pootling on the river
> based at The Trout, mainly rowing I believe.  It'll be interesting to
> see how Beale develops, with or without the aquatic pooches.

Sounds interesting. Sadly I shall be missing Beale this year as it
conflicts with Seafair Haven (Which I have already paid for and where
I generally get more sailing done).

--
Hoping for calm nights

Alastair Law

Re: 2014 Planning

Seafair Haven, eh?

Sounds interesting; you seem to have booked well in advance - does this indicate they run out of space?

CW
davidproctor44 davidproctor44

Re: 2014 Planning

Happy new year,all.
I havent contributed for ages but keep an eye on traffic.
I have done all 4 Seafairs so far held and wouldn't miss it for the world.The eastern and western Cleddau
and their tributaries are beautiful and extensive and ideal sail and oar type territory.Events are laid on,
but if we don't fancy them we do our own thing.Natives very friendly.Do come.
As for Lechlade, we aptly named Old Gaffers (trailer section) went last in September. Sailing impossible,
I took a canoe, but great fun, camping charges modest, slipway, good food in Trout.
Dave Proctor

Re: 2014 Planning

On 3 Jan 2014 at 7:42, Chris Waite [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> Seafair Haven, eh?
>
> Sounds interesting; you seem to have booked well in advance - does
> this indicate they run out of space?

Not that I know of, just that I was certain that I was going.

The camping may impose some limitations though.

It's a bit like Cobnor, with more sailing and a pontoon to tie to.

--
Hoping for calm nights

Alastair Law

David Bewick David Bewick

Re: 2014 Planning

Chaps,

I've been to two of these events and apart from the awful weather, they were good fun.  Since they lost their EU money to subsidise the event, the organisers have started making charges (it was free) and the numbers have gone down somewhat, so I doubt if there will any shortage of spaces for the people who want to go.

The camping at Lawrenny is excellent with fine views down one arm of the estuary over a castellated wall that is all that remains from the garden of a long-since demolished mansion.  It is fine for tents and campervans.

I am still working to plan out my sailing year but this is certainly a strong contender.

Best regards,

David.

A Grand Day Out.

If you haven't seen this I'd seriously recommend it.
 Operation Grand Canyon

Kind of puts the Thames Raid in its place.
There may be a bit of hyperbole in places and the whinging kayaker is a pain in the proverbial but these guys are truly awesome.
123