2017 Rallies

1234 ... 6

2017 Rallies

Informal discussions regarding HBBR rallies for 2017 started at the DCA rally at Cobnor this August when Sarah Sorensen stalwart of south coast DCA rallies showed an interest in joining HBBR on our annual Thames Raid. Sarah was proudly showing off the new rudder and tiller she'd made for her venerable Lune Pilot so we immediately signed her up as an HBBR member and took her tentative enquiry as a firm booking.

I hereby announce that the 2017 HBBR Thames Raid is on and will set off from Lechlade  on Sunday 28th May to arrive at Beale Park Boat Show on Friday 2nd June.  Who's coming?

Next, or well actually before.

Barton Turf. We've had a couple of events at Barton over the last couple of years in the company of the OCSG and various other canoe groups organised by Greg Spencer. It would be good to keep this up and maybe broaden it out by inviting DCA and Old Gaffers along to keep the numbers and interest up. Last year it was held a week or so before Lechlade as May seems to be the favoured month. The previous year we had it in late April and I have to say the gas welder was kept busy.
What do people think?  Simon, are there any plans afoot?

There is of course also Cobnor, which is a Dinghy Cruising Association rally which for those who don't already know is a shore based camp held over a week to ten days every August at Cobnor point in Chichester Harbour. This year I counted no less than eight HBBR members in attendance, nine including Sarah. So if you fancy a few days sailing pottering and generally doing boaty things with the odd pub visit and evening round the camp fire, we can put you in touch with the right people.

Anybody have any other suggestions THEY would like to organise?
Don't be shy now.

Cheers then, Graham

inwe inwe

Re: 2017 Rallies

I'm up for all three. I'll do the Thames in Inwe as I have plans for Calluna that don't go anywhere near the thames.

Richard

Re: 2017 Rallies

Real life intervened this year but I'm up for all three next year.

Re: 2017 Rallies

For Barton Turf - May Bank Holiday weekend is available (29 Apr - 1 May),  as is 20-21st May.  (6-7th is provisionally spoken for, and 13-14 is definitely busy!)

Great to see you-all back
Cheers
Simon
Peter Nobes Peter Nobes

Re: 2017 Rallies

The later May weekend will be better for me as the warmer weather will make the coxwain more likely to come.

On 26 September 2016 at 13:21, simplesimon [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
For Barton Turf - May Bank Holiday weekend is available (29 Apr - 1 May),  as is 20-21st May.  (6-7th is provisionally spoken for, and 13-14 is definitely busy!)

Great to see you-all back
Cheers
Simon

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/2017-Rallies-tp4029631p4029636.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

Peter Nobes
Teacher of the Alexander Technique - Mindfulness in Action
London UK
020 7928 6378

Alexander Technique London

Alexander Technique teacher training

Ratcatcherjohn Ratcatcherjohn

Re: 2017 Rallies

Good morning ladies & gentlemen.

I would hope to make it to Barton Turf on whatever date is decided.  Having just brought ` herself` back from two weeks in France and having carried from the truck 9 boxes of vin, is now a good time to open negotiations as to the other two.  BTW, serious delamination of the "top quality" Japaneses plywood  has resulted in TBA 1 being ignominiously relegated to "fire-wood store".  Alternatives are being investigated.    Cheers  The Ratcatcher

For Barton Turf - May Bank Holiday weekend is available (29 Apr - 1 May),  as is 20-21st May.  (6-7th is provisionally spoken for, and 13-14 is definitely busy!)

Great to see you-all back
Cheers
Simon

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/2017-Rallies-tp4029631p4029636.html
uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com
2017 Rallies. Informal discussions regarding HBBR rallies for 2017 started at the DCA rally at Cobnor this August when Sarah Sorensen stalwart of south coast DCA rallies showed an interest in joining...

To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email ml-node+[hidden email]

Re: 2017 Rallies

I concur with Pete and prefer 20-21st May at Barton, because it's a long way from the Bank Holiday weekend, which will leave me mentally scarred for sometime.

Re: 2017 Rallies

Thames and Cobnor - YES for the next 8 years....then a retirement cruise.

Not on a 6 storey virus breeding health and safety train wreck waiting to happen. Maybe a trailer sailor visit  to Europe in MilliBee, which will be either jolly nice or like a visiting Armada with armed searches on territorial limits.

Re: 2017 Rallies

Yup, I concur with Barton on 20-21st May, as well

Lordie save us from any Bank Holiday Bonanza; all beer and Jolly Rogering and bashing around in thronging Kiss-me-quick cruiser queues.

Horrid; just horrid

Deus Vult (and I have to say I really am not quite sure what He has up His sleeve at the moment), if you would - save me a place at Barton, Lechlade and Cobnor....

Belay that last; I already have

A place at Cobnor

CW
gregandginas gregandginas

Re: 2017 Rallies

OK - I'm going to consider 20th-21st "booked" for Barton Turf - which is great: an early marker in the calendar!

Can those who know the DCA stalwarts in different regions talk to them about getting the date on their calendars? Something we've talked about many times but haven't been very good at following through!

Any other things anyone would like done differently for 2017?

Re: 2017 Rallies

Excellent Greg, glad you can make it.
Simon can you please ink in our reservation for 20/21st May '17.

I will contact DCA and the Old Gaffers trailer section and invite them to join us.
I'll ask them to book direct with BTAC.

Graham.

Re: 2017 Rallies

Done! see https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=admin%40btac-services.co.uk

There (will) be an updated booking form on the website, but maybe not until November. Be grateful if people used it instead of the old ones in their caches!

Thanks
Simon
John P John P

Re: 2017 Rallies

John and Josephine would like to come on the Thames trip Lechlade to Beale Park
Chris Adeney Chris Adeney

Re: 2017 Rallies

Looking forward to joining you all  at both The Broads and the Thames next year hopefully in my Broads boat. I will have to start work on the ongoing renevations earlier this winter so it is done in time for an early summer launch. Chris.
Julian Taylor Julian Taylor

Re: 2017 Rallies

Thanks for kicking off 2017 Graham. I'm definitely up for Barton Turf again followed, as I've done for the previous couple of years with a few nights cruising on the northern broads.

It's time I extended my dinghy sailing beyond the range of Adnams brewery deliveries and I hope to get to Cobnor next year too.

The Thames raid would also be good but I don't fancy doing it facing backwards. I know CW has one solution but I think I'll wait till I've built something with a pointy bit at both ends, my plastic prospector wouldn't be quite right.

See you at sunny Barton Turf.

Julian

Re: 2017 Rallies

Plastic Prospectors have been very welcome on the Thames Raid in the past.

Tim.

On 18 Oct 2016, at 20:47, Julian Taylor [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for kicking off 2017 Graham. I'm definitely up for Barton Turf again followed, as I've done for the previous couple of years with a few nights cruising on the northern broads.

It's time I extended my dinghy sailing beyond the range of Adnams brewery deliveries and I hope to get to Cobnor next year too.

The Thames raid would also be good but I don't fancy doing it facing backwards. I know CW has one solution but I think I'll wait till I've built something with a pointy bit at both ends, my plastic prospector wouldn't be quite right.

See you at sunny Barton Turf.

Julian

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/2017-Rallies-tp4029631p4029705.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: 2017 Rallies

Well why not, after all some new faces do add variety to the conversation in the pub each evening.
I might even try and persuade my brother in law to come along next year.

Presumably the twin engine girl guide auxiliary propulsion system is optional though?

See you all on the Thames trip next year hopefully.

Steve
Philip Hoath Philip Hoath

Re: 2017 Rallies

I hope to do the Thames trip again.Mowe my converted GP14 needs some patching up, now in store awaiting attention. The DCA have a weekend in Poole Harbour,(my base,) a possible cruising Rally? I have just bought a Falmouth Bass Boat "Lily", I am delighted with her.
All for now,
Philip
John P John P

Re: 2017 Rallies

I am wondering when the Thames trip fleet will be likely to leave Lechlade next year? Would it be sometime on Monday 29th May, or is it likely to be on Sunday 28th.  I ask since I am wondering whether it would be feasible to do both Semaine du Golfe and the Thames trip. The 'Grand Parade' which is the end of the sailing at SduG is on the afternoon of Saturday 27th May, so if we are leaving Lechlade on the 29th there might just be time in between to travel from Vannes to Lechlade, swapping boats on route.  Or maybe miss out the Grand Parade, which we have done five times already.

Re: 2017 Rallies

John,

We normally leave on the Sunday before Beale, although some people like to arrive  Saturday.

1234 ... 6