Alan Stancombe

alanstancombe alanstancombe

Alan Stancombe

Hi there! I'm new to the group but have built a few boats. I started off with an Eastport Pram, then built a Stornoway 12 and next a Nutshell. I've just built 2 Cinderellas (Open canoes) and a cedar strip Prospector. I am just working on a Brede Pram whilst recovering from a rather major spinal op. Whilst I'm on the subject does anyone know whether the Recreational Craft Directive applies to boat smaller than 2.5 m. I've come across the question as to whether all small dinghies are obliged to have bouyancy built in. I know it's a good idea but it is obligatory.
Thanks
Alan

Re: Alan Stancombe

My understanding is that if you don't sell the boat for 5 years then
it doesn't apply at all.

Where are you based?

--
Hoping for calm nights

Alastair Law,

Re: Alan Stancombe

Hi Alan, and welcome to the disorganisation that is the HBBR.

I can confirm that boats under 2.5 m are exempt from the RCD, so don't require anything like stability or buoyancy testing, neither are they subject to the daft "keep it for five years and it magically becomes safe to sell" rule that applies to home-built boats over 2.5 m.
alanstancombe alanstancombe

Re: Alan Stancombe

Hi Jeremy
Thanks for the welcome and for the info. At least I have a choice now.
Best wishes
Alan
alanstancombe alanstancombe

Re: Alan Stancombe

Hi there!
 I live in Leyburn, North Yorkshire. Yes I had read about the 5 yr restriction but having read the directive I wasn't sure if they were talking about boats of 2.5 - 5m. I do note that canoes and kayaks are excluded but starting to think about what about eg coracles? I have never seen one with bouyancy built in.
Best wishes
Alan
jalley jalley

Re: Alan Stancombe

Hello Dear,
I saw your post today... i like it.. but one think i want to share with you.. i have a little knowledge about on boats....nuy my wishes always with you.. whatever you want or need...
Domeinnaam | Domeinregistratie | Be Domein