Amble up the Hamble - October?

High Water for Portsmouth on Sat 17th October is approximately  14.35

(a few days before Neaps)

So we could enjoy a leisurely meal at the Horse and Jockey.

And could we organise something extra the next day Sun 18th?
That makes better use of time for those travelling a distance, including sleep-aboards.

BTW: This clashes with the DCA Ashlett Creek meet.

Peter Nobes Peter Nobes

Re: Amble up the Hamble - October?

Unfortunately it also clashes with a conference in Philadelphia.....

On 6 October 2015 at 12:44, Paul (admin) [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
High Water for Portsmouth on Sat 17th October is approximately  14.35

(a few days before Neaps)

So we could enjoy a leisurely meal at the Horse and Jockey.

And could we organise something extra the next day Sun 18th?
That makes better use of time for those travelling a distance, including sleep-aboards.

BTW: This clashes with the DCA Ashlett Creek meet.

Sail when you can, motor when you can't http://www.millibee.co.uk

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Amble-up-the-Hamble-October-tp4029145.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

Peter Nobes
Teacher of the Alexander Technique
London UK
www.alexandertech.co.uk
www.facebook.com/AlexanderTechniqueLondon

www.youtube.com/ZenForOurTime

South Bank Alexander Centre
www.AlexanderCentre.co.uk
020 7928 6378

On 6 Oct 2015 at 4:44, Paul (admin) [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> High Water for Portsmouth on Sat 17th October is /approximately /
> 14.35
>
> (a few days before Neaps)
>
> So we could enjoy a leisurely meal at the Horse and Jockey.
>
> And could we organise something extra the next day Sun 18th?
> That makes better use of time for those travelling a distance,
> including sleep-aboards.

You should have come last Saturday. The DCA had a pleasant, relaxing
Hamble cruise with quite a lot of sunshine, though not a lot of wind.

--
Sail when you can, row when you must, motor only
when you have to be at work in the morning.

Alastair Law

Re: Amble up the Hamble - October?

For the geographically challenged, Ashlett Creek is situated snugly between Fawley refinery and Power Station on Southampton Water, actually its very nice once you get in there and has a pub and a sailing club.
It is directly opposite the mouth of the River Hamble, which means if you were thinking about a trip up the Hamble to the Horse & Jockey, launching at either Warsash or Swanwick would mean you could do both over a weekend.

Having said that if its just after neeps then it might be a very long and muddy walk to the H&J. I'm not sure there would be enough water to get up there, maybe there would.

Ashlett with the tide out.

Grum.

Re: Amble up the Hamble - October?

The tide is 4.5m which should be enough to get up to the H&J, but I was planning to join the DCA to Ashlett. If the idea of crossing Southampton Water is a bit ambitious for some, we could do it in convoy. And if the weather is at all adverse, we could go up the Hamble instead.
On the Sunday we could go up to Botley or perhaps up to Eling, again depending on the weather.

Re: Amble up the Hamble - October?

alopenboat wrote
You should have come last Saturday. The DCA had a pleasant, relaxing
Hamble cruise with quite a lot of sunshine, though not a lot of wind.
Somewhat ironically last Saturday I was installing my 5kg anchor forward for instant deployment, thinking "Cliff said I must have good anchoring for DCA events". A bit of string is sufficient to moor at the Horse and Jockey

Re: Amble up the Hamble - October?

Chris Partridge wrote
The tide is 4.5m which should be enough to get up to the H&J, but I was planning to join the DCA to Ashlett. If the idea of crossing Southampton Water is a bit ambitious for some, we could do it in convoy. And if the weather is at all adverse, we could go up the Hamble instead.
On the Sunday we could go up to Botley or perhaps up to Eling, again depending on the weather.
That sounds like a good plan Chris, maybe we should aim for Ashlett then and follow your plan depending on the weather forecast the day(s) before and on the actual day?

This forum sends emails immediately, so we can communicate last minute details as per DCA.

Not sure where I can park overnight.....

So who is interested and who would find crossing Southampton Water too ambitious? Don't forget we have to get back to the trailers and dusk is close to 6pm.

On 7 Oct 2015 at 2:00, Paul (admin) [via UK HBBR For wrote:

> alopenboat wrote
> > You should have come last Saturday. The DCA had a pleasant, relaxing
> > Hamble cruise with quite a lot of sunshine, though not a lot of
> > wind.
>
> Somewhat ironically last Saturday I was installing my 5kg anchor
> forward, thinking "Cliff said I must have good anchoring for DCA
> events". A bit of string is sufficient to moor at the Horse and Jockey

Will we see you on the Fal this weekend?

--
Sail when you can, row when you must, motor only
when you have to be at work in the morning.

Alastair Law

Re: Amble up the Hamble - October?

alopenboat wrote
Will we see you on the Fal this weekend?
Probably not but thanks for asking. If we join the DCA at Ashlett I have to seal the 8mm bolts for the bow roller, and its dammed impossible to look inside the crash bulkhead. We have to feel our way around holding the washer/nut with a spanner through an 8in inspection hatch Houdini style.
It's a two person operation with Dilys tightening the bolts topside. It makes sense to cut a larger hole for a bigger rectangular hatch, to avoid too much swearing.

Re: Amble up the Hamble - October?

When Worlds collide

The DCA Hamble weekend was flu jab weekend, as being more convenient for the local surgery.

The DCA Ashlett weekend is our 'tenant vacates' weekend.  Portsmouth; close, but not actually Southampton Water....

I do wish someone would rearrange these peri-solar evolutions

So that I can go sailing

Re: Amble up the Hamble - October?

When Heads Collide (with roofs)

Crawled into the cabin to check for a bigger hatch on the first bulkhead, banged head on the roof, back became achy.

Has anyone got a petrol powered tin opener and a spare tarp?

Flu Jab? No chance, I had 10+ days of symptoms last year.

-Paul