Another "unable to insert image"

Alan Alan

Another "unable to insert image"

I am unable to insert a post with images. After adding text and using the insert image dialogue box the buttons to post or preview message have disappeared. I've done this plenty of times before so what has gone wrong? I'm using Safari.

Re: Another "unable to insert image"

Hi Alan,

I have forwarded your post to the Nabble Support Forum at:
http://support.nabble.com/Unable-to-Post-Image-td7591508.html#a7591510

The Support Chief there, Pedro, has asked a question I can't answer and another user suggests a work-around. You might care to follow up the problem there.
Alan Alan

Re: Another "unable to insert image"

This post was updated on .
Thanks to Greg and the Nabble forum for assistance - but strangely the problem has not occurred today and I was able to post without any trouble.
Alan Alan

Re: Another "unable to insert image"

A different but similar problem today: I wrote a wordy post, with picture, and then previewed it. On returning to the previous page to press "post message" the whole post had disappeared. So I posted a very short post with picture, and without previewing.
 I now have the latest slower Safari.

Re: Another "unable to insert image"

Hi Alan,
Alan wrote
I wrote a wordy post, with picture, and then previewed it. On returning to the previous page to press "post message" the whole post had disappeared.
Unfortunately, that sounds like user error to me, rather than a bug.

When you preview a message, it simply appears at the top of the existing "create message" screen. After reading through the preview all you need to do is scroll down a little further and you will find the edit box still there with all the text of your message still in place and with the original "Post Message" and "Preview Message" buttons beneath it. There you can choose either to make edits to your original text and preview again, or post it as it stands.

By moving away from the preview page or clicking the "Cancel" link you are telling the machine you wish to abandon your message and want nothing more to do with it. Naturally, it will then forget all about it and you are doomed!

You don't say what you did to "return to the previous page", but I'm guessing that you used the browser's "Back" button. That will have much the same effect using the "Cancel" link.
Alan Alan

Re: Another "unable to insert image"

Oops sorry Greg,
You were right. Your message popped up while I was emailing so I have already checked, and added to the last post.
Alan

On 1 November 2014 20:38, GregHBBR [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Alan,
Alan wrote
[...]

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Another-unable-to-insert-image-tp4027788p4027932.html
To unsubscribe from Another "unable to insert image", click here.

Re: Another "unable to insert image" (Was CNC Ply cutting)

Just like that Greg

Swerving to avoid topic drift, I have moved to the subject of images -

Admin. Paul sent me the following in a private email:

1 I always press Preview as its a free shot.
2 Then I edit lines, upload new photos and again press Preview.
3 When the preview finally looks good I click on Post.

And you Greg wrote this:

1. Delete the special tag that represents the previous version of the image/file.
2. Insert/Upload the revised version of the image/file.
3. Click the "Post message" button.

If you have already posted an earlier version of the message with the image/file, then you will have to do an extra initial step of clicking on: More > Edit post.

------------>

Greg, you also remembered that I suffered other odd problems previously; well the cyber pixies have obviously had their fun because those have now vanished like the dew in the morn.

However -

Paulie, thanks for the thought, but I invariably use 'Preview' and correct before posting.

Greg, this current problem is obviously what the pixies have moved onto - once I have uploaded a photograph, (and usually decided to adjust it for the forum - mostly cropping during previewing), then deleted the original photo insertion from the message box, I upload the new cropped 'image'
....and review my preview - lo and behold the original un-cropped picture appears and will not be transmogrified without shutting down and rebooting the lappy.

Simply rebooting my internet connection does not work

And that's how it is

Chris W

Re: Another "unable to insert image" (Was CNC Ply cutting)

Chris,

I'm sure that when I upload a modified version of a file, the new version appears.

You do have to be careful about the browser cache. To limit data transfer they keep a cache of large slow objects like pictures, and only reload a picture if it appears to be different. This can dramatically speed up web pages, but can stubbornly show the "old" version sometimes.

So pressing Preview again and again might be needed.

Old file (full landscape sunset ....now 1/2 sunset)

Yep. I uploaded the file full landscape 2:1, Preview looked good. Then cropped the pic and uploaded same name. Preview shows the cropped square photo.

EDIT POST:  Post Message show the cropped square photo.

Re: Another "unable to insert image" (Was CNC Ply cutting)

Hi Chris,
Chris Waite wrote
Swerving to avoid topic drift, I have moved to the subject of images -
Good man! I should have done the same.
Greg, this current problem is obviously what the pixies have moved onto - once I have uploaded a photograph, (and usually decided to adjust it for the forum - mostly cropping during previewing), then deleted the original photo insertion from the message box, I upload the new cropped 'image'
....and review my preview - lo and behold the original un-cropped picture appears and will not be transmogrified without shutting down and rebooting the lappy.
Mmm! I think part of the problem may be in not recognising which bits of the problem are happening on your computer and which bits happen on Nabble's.

A full shut down of YOUR computer is certainly NOT necessary. What you do have to do is get NABBLE's computer to recognise that you want to forget about an earlier upload.

I haven't tested fully recently to remind myself of exactly what Nabble's rule is but I believe it simply treats as a duplicate any upload that has the same file name as one it already holds and it discards it, keeping the original.

In other words, not only do you have to delete the link to the old image, your revised image must have a different file name.

Certainly, that is the basis on which I work and I have no problem, when I need to revise a file already uploaded.

Re: Another "unable to insert image" (Was CNC Ply cutting)

Hi Chris,

Paul may be correct and it could be a browser cache issue. However, even if that is the case, you'll find my approach of using a different file name by-passes that possibility and overcomes the problem.

Re: Another "unable to insert image" (Was CNC Ply cutting)

May the Web-god bless you two Cyber-lords

Back here in the crud of second hand and bent and broken electrons at the bottom of the Net, nothing works like that and a lot of it doesn't work at all.

Paul - when everybody else was merrily slipping photographs into their text, I found that I could not go back and insert one at a previous point.  Move the cursor back up to the chosen the location and it invariably loaded at the end of the drivel I had just typed.  I then had to highlight and pick it up and scroll it to where I wanted by pushing the upper margin - at exactly the right level.  It would all do a jumpy flicker and I might have it somewhere nearer, then have to have another go.

Nightmare

Greg thought I was just an incompetent loony until it actually happened to him - I think only the once mind.  However I agree with you Greg, giving it a different name would probably do the trick.  (I don't think it's a 'cache' issue.  That last message was a mere snip by comparison with my usual verbosity and had just the one photograph).

Tally Ho chaps, see you on the other side -

Huh!?

Now I remember, (sorry, but there's a lot going on); it gets more impossibly interesting....

I couldn't save the crop, because it was "open in another programme".  I have just tried deleting the 'inserted image' and even with it deleted, Microsoft refuses to save the crop, so I'm stuck unless I close this message??

Which I'm going to do, having copied it first....

Actually I closed Internet Explorer and it has worked - I could save the crop and here it is -

Hold breath and 'Preview'

Simplicity itself; our Albert would have been proud of them

It does of course show this grimacing old ape sculling over the bow - which is what John Perry mooted in the last twenty-four hours or so.

But it should be in 'CNC Ply cutting'

Cropped, of course

Re: Another "unable to insert image" (Was CNC Ply cutting)

Good progress CW.

The tables are turned now. I can only do endless circles with one paddle in a blowup boat. There were no instructions with the damn thing about clever paddle moves to impress your buddies. Likewise the "OK" button is just not there at all. How is chap supposed to make progress? Jump in and swim, hanging on to the thinnest bit of string to tow the boat?

Re: Another "unable to insert image" (Was CNC Ply cutting)

Good progress, indeed!

Chris Waite wrote
I couldn't save the crop, because it was "open in another programme".  I have just tried deleting the 'inserted image' and even with it deleted, Microsoft refuses to save the crop, so I'm stuck unless I close this message??
Unless I am misunderstanding what you are describing (Certainly not impossible! :-) ), that's another case of not distinguishing between what's happen on your computer and what's happening at the server.

The "open in another program" message would refer to another program on your computer.

Having uploaded the image to Nabble what your browser (Internet Explorer) is displaying is a file that now belongs to Nabble. That file has nothing to do with any file, with identical content, that is resident on your computer.

Deleting a few characters of code that references a file that comes from to Nabble will have no impact on an image file loaded from your computer and being edited on your machine.

If your computer tells you that it refuses to save an edited version of the original image then that means that you have somehow locked the original file and you will need to do a "Save as" instead.

Almost certainly, you have a second copy of the local file open in some other program. For example, you have the image open in IrfanView or some similar gallery program, while editing it in something else, or perhaps that your image editor has a setting in it that will lock a file to prevent you losing the original version of the file.

It is also possible that whatever program you used to transfer the original image from your camera to your computer added marked it "read only" as it copied it onto your computer. Another possibility is that your camera is connected to your computer and you loaded the image into your editor directly from the camera. Many cameras have an auto shut-off feature. In such a case, after a few minutes your computer would not be able to write the revised version of the file back to your camera.
so I'm stuck unless I close this message??
No! the little bit of code in the message editing window has no connection at all with a file that is has become "locked" and cannot, for the time being, be written to. There will be another local reason for that.
Actually I closed Internet Explorer and it has worked - I could save the crop
OK! If that is the case then my best guess is that you are using Internet Explorer as an image viewer for your local files. I suspect that as well as having a tab open in Internet Explorer where you are editing your message, you also have dragged the file from a "My Documents" or "My Pictures" window and dropped it on Internet Explorer. Depending exactly where you drop it, it could open a fresh tab in Internet Explorer, so you now have one copy of the file open in Internet Explorer and one in your editor. Opening it in Internet Explorer will have locked it, so that your editor is unable to write to the file as your computer will not allow you to alter a file that is open in another program.

Re: Another "unable to insert image" (Was CNC Ply cutting)

Chris

Normally you won't be cropping the same photo, so the "open in another program" may not happen again.

I have a strict rota for pictures and cropping:

1. Use Daughters DSLR with zoom lens. Frame the object carefully with lens when taking the photos - it saves time later.
2. Take out memory card, stick it in PC and decide which ones are useful, select them and choose Copy.
3. Go to my Pictures\MilliBee folder and Paste will copy from the camera to my PC. This leaves the original photos untouched on the camera card. So whatever I do to the copy, I'll never lose the original.
4. Remove memory card and put it back in camera.

5. Open each picture in Picasa, adjust contrast/brightness, crop away remaining rubbish. Save As with a useful name, like Sail1.jpg which is far more useful than IMGP3694.JPG. Shutdown Picasa. Save As is what you edited, but you still have the original copy on your PC.
6. Edit in Paint, then resize the 1024 pixels wide. Picasa can't resize, other photo editors are available. Shutdown Paint.
7. Now I have a collection of photos, cropped, with sensible names, 1024 pixels wide.

8. Fire up HBBR, start the post. When inserting a photo, pick the sensible name, ALWAYS choose None for Float and None for Resize.
9. When finished click Preview
10. When really, really finished click Post

Something like that. Copying photos keeps the originals safe and avoids file-sharing problems. Renaming them is very useful, when inserting photos the sensible name speeds things up.

ttfn

Re: Another "unable to insert image" (Was CNC Ply cutting)

Hi Chris,
Paul (admin) wrote
Normally you won't be cropping the same photo, so the "open in another program" may not happen again.
It's also worth saying that I wouldn't blame you for being confused by the "open in another program" problem, because the developers of different programs have very different thoughts about how their programs might be used. So, for example, experience with Word is no guide to how things work in other software.

It is quite possible to drag and drop a .jpg file from "My documents" to "Word" where it will happily display. You can then move, resize and crop the display of that image on the page. (I say "the display of" as the entire image file becomes embedded in the Word document file when saved, even though you may only see a tiny portion of it in the printed document.) When you reopen the document file this approach allows you to reposition, resize and re-crop the image within the document without the need to reload it into the document from disk. Accordingly, the developers took the view that as Word operates with a separate embedded copy of the file and the user would never need to reload the original file there was no need to lock the copy that exists on a disk somewhere.

This is very different to how you work on the web where, in order to speed up download of the page on slow connections, minimising the file size has much higher priority. In that environment you are expected to create a ready sized and cropped image, so if start to edit the image in another program, while also working on a web page to include that image, there is a high risk that when you come to upload the page and the associated image, you'll be uploading an inappropriate version of the image. With this use of their programs in mind, developers of image editing software tend to be much stricter about allowing their editor to re-write an image file, when there's another copy open in some other program.