Autumn Easter Thames trip?

LASER41420 LASER41420

Autumn Easter Thames trip?

Hi,

Following on from discussions during the trip in June is anyone still interested?

The section from Trusses island in Staines (free parking and slipway) to Shepperton (ditto) looks very attractive for a day trip with 3 locks and there are numerous sailing clubs and campsites in the area where trailers and cars might be left and even bars opened.

The lock at Windsor racecourse was as I recall also very scenic for an overnight-er if we could launch further upstream.

Any thoughts?

Steve

Re: Autumn Easter Thames trip?

Steve,

I like the idea of an early Autumn Thames trip, if we leave it later camping could be very wet!

How about September or early October? As for venue inside the M25 is personally off the cards: too many people, cars, planes, trains and noise.

Perhaps we could end at Beale Park, by using our good relationship with Ben Lane who organises the Boat Show?

Ending at Beale forces a different launch site - upstream camping is Wallingford, Abingdon etc, downstream I don't know.

Re: Autumn Easter Thames trip?

Could be very interested sibject to availability and all that.

Official campsites downriver from Beale that I know of...

Mapledurham
Swiss Farm International Camping (400 yards from river, Henley)
Hurley Lock
Longridge Activity centre (Marlow)
Cookham Lock
Amerden Caravan and Camping Club (Maidenhead)
Boveney Lock (Windsor)
Laleham Camping Club
Chertsey Caravan and Camping club

Also, unoficially, there's a very commonly used camp spot on the Islands downriver from Reading Lock (used by three men in a boat.)

Loads of places to moor for free, a few where one or two tents could be set up discreetly as well.

Tim

On 15 Jul 2017, at 10:47, Paul (admin) [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Steve,

I like the idea of an early Autumn Thames trip, if we leave it later camping could be very wet!

How about September or early October? As for venue inside the M25 is personally off the cards: too many people, cars, planes, trains and noise.

Perhaps we could end at Beale Park, by using our good relationship with Ben Lane who organises the Boat Show?

Ending at Beale forces a different launch site - upstream camping is Wallingford, Abingdon etc, downstream I don't know.

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Autumn-Easter-Thames-trip-tp4030259p4030260.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: Autumn Easter Thames trip?

Hi,
I was thinking September after the school holidays, not everything inside the M25 is unpleasant, it is greenbelt after all.
Regards
Steve

Re: Autumn Easter Thames trip?

Opportunities for me in September might be limited, but may be free later (after 24th ish)

Thames inside M25 can be very pleasant. There are stretches where the towpath side is quite rural for up to 60 yards from the river bank. Opposite side of the river to towpath is generally developed for housing or boat yards with the occasional park. Apart from the localised noise of the M25 noise levels are also affected by Heathrow flights depending on wind direction. The general hum of background traffic is ever present and your brain tunes it out after a while.

Very limited camping options. Other than Laleham and Chertsey I don't know of any official sites.

I have camped at Laleham many years ago. The gates were locked at some point in the evening and the warden patrolled with a baseball bat and attacked youths who tried to climb the gate to gain entry. Appeared to be drug dealing taking place in the public car park outside until the police turned up. Not sure I'd leave a boat moored there unattended overnight! May be very different now though.

Possibly a wild camp option on the island above Walton (but that's quite close to Chertsey anyway.) Stretch between Walton and Molesey may have places where a discreet tent or two pitched late and struck early on the right bank might be overlooked. Though these areas tend to be heavily used by dog walkers, cyclists, fishermen, etc.

Likewise there could be options on the left bank between Hampton Court and Kingston. This section of towpath can only be accessed at either end or by water so the middle part is quieter.

Each part of the Thames has its own character and interest. Since I'll be sleeping aboard I won't be constrained by availability of campsites so I'll be happy to go wherever others decide to.

Tim.

On 15 Jul 2017, at 18:06, LASER41420 [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
I was thinking September after the school holidays, not everything inside the M25 is unpleasant, it is greenbelt after all.
Regards
Steve

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Autumn-Easter-Thames-trip-tp4030259p4030262.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]