Back after a break!

Kensboats Kensboats

Back after a break!

Hi chaps, here I am back with the HBBR after a break of six years restoring our Victorian wreck. While I have been working on the house, Sweet Mist, our Stevenson Weekender, has been patiently marrooned behind a couple of tons of sand and a few hundred feet of floorboards. I have however managed to add to the fleet by building a couple of new boats, both of them racing hydroplanes, and a Cocktail class racer will be next on the garage slipway. Hopefully, Sweet Mist and I will be joining in with you guys in the new year. I am glad to see that some pics from the 2006 inaugural meet at the Cotswold country park are still on the site. Ken

Re: Back after a break!

Hi Ken, welcome back.
Here's one of my favourite photos from the Cotswolds days.

Ken, using auxiliary power on sweet Mist.

Kensboats Kensboats

Re: Back after a break!

Thanks, it is a picture that I like too! In all the years I have had the boat, I have never had to start the outboard. She sails off and on so well and is such an easy design to control, that even moving around in congested places is simple. The paddle is perfect. The outboard is now used for testing the other boats. I expect that If I turn up with a hydroplane, I will been seen as the Clarkson of HBBR - a little too noisy and aggressive for gentle trips among the sails, oars and Makitas powering the other boats. Great fun though!
Alan Alan

Re: Back after a break!

Ken, I'd be interested to see some pics of your hydroplanes here,
Alan
Kensboats Kensboats

Re: Back after a break!

In build ~ three point hydroplane Hi Alan, this is one of the boats while being built, there are lots of other pics, but cannot upload them at the moment due to some sort of glitch with iphoto after updating the system. These are quick and simple boats to build, very light weight at around 35 to 70 kilos, are fast with a four, go like a rocket with a 15hp, and will take up to a 30hp S/S two stroke. it's like karting on water! Downside in the UK is finding somewhere to use them due to the usual water speed limits. However on sheltered tidal waters they are great fun. This year I had the chance to drive a friends one on the river in the centre of Prague ~ dressed to take my wife out to dinner no less.
Alan Alan

Re: Back after a break!

Thanks! It looks really nice. On my long list of daydreams is an electric hydroplane; they actually race them somewhere in the US or Canada. The Prague prank sounds like a James Bond moment. I'm just finishing some retirement work then I'll be getting back to building a 14ft rowboat - pictures somewhere on this forum.
Kensboats Kensboats

Re: Back after a break!

This post was updated on .
MiniMax - fun speedsterHey Alan, don't daydream, you can do it! At the present time I have an experimental MiniMost underway, a hydroplane but adapted by me to fly on hydrofoils. Electric would be an interesting way to go for a boat of this type as battery technology gets much better, and motors more efficient. I have heard that the big motors used with large RC models have been used to power small dinghys, with motorcycle type gel batteries as the power source, and solar panels for charging. If you fancy a small, cheap, quick to build and fast hydro to scare yourself with, have a look at the MiniMax pictures here - as much fun as you can have with two sheets of ply.
Alan Alan

Re: Back after a break!

Here is a link to my outboard made using RC parts and leisure batteries:
http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/BRUSHLESS-OUTBOARD-MK2-td4027622.html#a4027626
Lithium batteries are getting cheap enough now for small boats.