Barton 2015 Planning

1234 ... 6

Barton 2015 Planning

I've created this post so that the existing "2015 Planning" and "Barton Turf rally in April?" threads can be merged and so avoid further splitting of the topic.
gregandginas gregandginas

2015 Planning

September 2014 has been glorious but is coming to an end... and all of a sudden, 2015 doesn't look so far away... and I'm sat here wondering what HBBR folk have got planned... and what more is likely to get added!

A few markers:

* Easter is early: 1st weekend in April

* The Open Canoe Association will be extending an invitation to a rally the 1st weekend in May: probably Lynn Tegid (Bala)

* The Beale Park Boatshow is confirmed as the 1st weekend in June

Simon Fishwick is again willing to host a joint meet at Barton Turf Adventure Centre, as enjoyed by many in 2010.  See here.

Five years on, this ought to be able to work again... and I've already been asked about this by various folk... but the date obviously has to be right: not too close to other key dates, and perhaps avoiding Bank Holiday Traffic... but maybe in the Spring to get the best of the wildlife... although the other end of the season (late September, October, perhaps even early November) can be appealingly quiet.

Peter Nobes Peter Nobes

Re: 2015 Planning

Id love to meet up at Barton Turf.  There's a new bypass round Elveden so the old traffic hold-ups that we all hated no longer happen.

On 30 Sep 2014 11:11, "gregandginas [via UK HBBR Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/2015-Planning-tp4027807.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

Re: 2015 Planning

Hi Peter,
Peter Nobes wrote
Id love to meet up at Barton Turf.  There's a new bypass round Elveden so
the old traffic hold-ups that we all hated no longer happen.
It's not quite finished yet but does appear ahead of schedule for completion before the end of 2014. It should help those approaching Norfolk from the south and west enormously. Doesn't help those coming from the north too much, who still have to cope with the dreaded A17.

While the Elveden By Pass certainly should speed traffic round the village, and will get rid of the cause of the many accidents that caused so many hold-ups, I still worry that it will just cause all the traffic to pile up at the Barton Mills roundabout a little quicker.

Re: 2015 Planning

I meant to add that as the Thames Raids have proved so popular over the last few years, I had always wondered if a cruise from Barton to Hickling would have a similar appeal. They are close enough by road to easily arrange collection of trailers to allow a one way trip, so allowing the maximum time in the much more quiet waters found above Potter Bridge.

Something along the lines of the raid at:
http://www.raidengland.org/?page_id=445
was in my mind, but probably avoiding the bit to Wroxham unless a date well outside of peak holiday season was chosen.

Picking dates that tie in with either the Hickling Regatta or Hickling Passage Race events could add to the possibilities. This year they were on August 9-10 and September 14. Both events are wonderfully casual in nature and conducted in a wonderfully NfN fashion. I'm sure the atmosphere would suit HBBR "members".
inwe inwe

Re: 2015 Planning

I'll go with Barton Turf, I might even launch my new boat there. I've always enjoyed and appreciated Simon and Shiela's company and cooking.
LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: 2015 Planning

Hi,
Me too hopefully, the row/canoe/skiff thingy should be ready for sea trials early next year.
Steve
Peter Nobes Peter Nobes

Re: 2015 Planning

Maybe Simon could tell us which weekends are available.  A three-day event over one of the Bank Holidays would suit me, and make it more worthwhile for the people who have to travel from a distance.

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/2015-Planning-tp4027807p4027816.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

Re: 2015 Planning

Peter

For many of us travelling through 4 hours of bank holiday weekend traffic was the final straw.

Re: 2015 Planning

Hi Paul,
Paul (admin) wrote
For many of us travelling through 4 hours of bank holiday weekend traffic was the final straw.
I'm not sure of your point. Is it:

• I won't travel to Norfolk over Bank Holiday weekends.
• It's not worth travelling to Norfolk for an ordinary weekend.
• I'll only travel to Norfolk mid-week
• I'll only travel to Norfolk for a stay of four days or more
• I'll never travel to Norfolk with a boat until I have a residence somewhat closer.
• I refuse to believe an Eleveden By Pass will make my journey take less time.
• I recommend that no one goes to Norfolk

I'm sure there are more possibilities!

As Sid Kipper said "So should we have a motorway in Norfolk? Well, now, whatever would we want one for? We're already where we want to be, aren't we?"

Read more on Rare Norfolk Words and pay particular attention to the full details on #3.

Of course, some people remove the problem by moving here!

Re: 2015 Planning

Our calendar is online at http://www.btac-services.co.uk/freebusy.htm

OK I haven't got it to work as I want yet, so you can't at present see I pencilled in the AYRS meeting for the Spring Bank Holiday weekend. That could move of course.

Note: if people wanted to come up a few days earlier avoiding the Friday traffic, and leave a few days later that's OK by us.

Simon
ianhurley20 ianhurley20

Re: 2015 Planning

Very well put Greg -I particularly like the last sentence about 'motorway'. If the event takes place I'll do my best to put in an appearance as well
Ian

Re: 2015 Planning

Yes, well as they say, Normal for Norfolk.
Have you guys ever thought about independence?

I'd be up for a trip round the ditches sometime.
Now that they've solved the Elveden problem the only thing which bothers me about bank holidays is the number of pleasure boats coughing their diesel fumes into my face.

So who's going to organise it then?

Re: 2015 Planning

Simon's on board for the Barton end.

Barton to Hickling is around 15 miles by water with two bridges to negotiate, including the infamous one at Potter Heigham.

I'm sure I can sort out a camp site for the Hickling end. I'll flutter my eyes at Glenn, the landlord, of the Pleasure Boat Inn. (He'll probably lay on some musical entertainment as well for one evening!)

So the only (minor) difficulty is whether folk consider they need an overnight stop-over half way around, because that would probably add to the total distance and is likely to involve more travelling on the busier Bure.

To help those who vaguely know the area and want to calculate distances/times. I attach a neat little spreadsheet that offers a Northern Broads Distance and Time Calculator. It doesn't take account of tide or current, of course. (Those not registered on the forum may not be able to access it.)

As travelling speeds for our boats are relatively slow, tide and current become more important for assessing journey times. Try this excellent Tide Predictor site.

I'm happy to do further investigation once we have some dates settled and are agreed there are enough people likely to attend to make it viable.
The Q The Q

Re: 2015 Planning

I would like to attend the meet, Hopefully My boat will be refurbished by then, Travelling isn't a problem as it's less than ten miles!
 However I do Believe Elevden will make a difference having spent many hours in the traffic in the past.!

When Choosing the weekend a look at
http://www.thegreenbook.org.uk/
This will advise whats on at that time although I'm not sure when next years sailing program will be loaded but not before the end of December I think.

The weekend of 30th 31st May would not be good It's the 3 Rivers Race I believe.
 As you are not intending to go through Horning, it's not a problem but the English raid did!! During the regatta week Horning has up to 100 boats on the water in a mile and a half of river, that was Interesting!

Re: 2015 Planning

Greg,

4 hours of bank holiday traffic was a nightmare, and did not seem worth it for less than a weeks sailing. Others found the petrol costs a bit OTT for a short stay.

Ideally something like Wednesday to Wednesday, avoiding weekend travelling altogether.

inwe inwe

Re: 2015 Planning

I am sorry Paul but you really ought to get out more. Four hours driving is nothing. We regularly venture up to North Norfolk from west Kent, only a mornings drive. Last year I towed Inwe up to the Skiffie world's in Ullapool, now that's a drive! The by-pass does improve matters. See you in Norfolk.

Re: 2015 Planning

A few years ago some of us did a short trip out from Barton Turf and over-nighted at the camp site at Thurne Mouth.

They have some moorings, a little slipway and we had a pitch quite close to the water.

The prices were pretty steep but I remember Phil Ox managed to negotiate a discount on the basis that all of us could fit into one standard pitch. Might be worth investigating as a stop-over point on the way to/from Hickling.
We'd need someone who could talk the dialect.....................................................

Graham.

Re: 2015 Planning

Hi Graham,

Are you talking about here:

View Larger Map

Could be your pitch just south of the dinghy park?

Re: 2015 Planning

That’s the place, and spot-on for the pitch.
Bureside Holiday Park or some such.

The Ariel Photography must have been taken mid-Winter, the dyke was full of boats and the fields full of tents and caravans when we were there.

Sent from Windows Mail

Could be your pitch just south of the dinghy park?

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/2015-Planning-tp4027807p4027831.html