Quantcast

Barton Turf 2012

simplesimon wrote
Peter Nobes wrote
Have we actually booked Barton Turf?  It's one of the things I look forward to all winter so I wouldn't want to miss it.
No, not yet.

Simon
Peter Nobes wrote
Thanks Simon.

So, who's interested in going to Barton Turf this year?

Peter
Ratcatcherjohn wrote
Good Afternoon Peter, Simon et al.

At the risk of going further "off topic" I will declare a positive interest in going to Barton Turf next year.  No doubt Simon will indicate wether the gentlemen of the AYRS have declared an interest, I seem to recall that another group will be there the following weekend and a general `invite` was broadcast BUT I also understand that is the Beale Park weekend.  Life gets very complicated when you are retired and supposedly have bug+ger-all to do!

Regards  John
Port-Na-Storm wrote
Hi Tim, et al.

<cut>

As to Barton Turf, I won't be there if it is held on the late Spring Bank Holiday. Its too close to the Thames Raid and Beale Park. We've talked before about moving the date of Barton, usually after we've just battled against the Bank Holiday/Half Term traffic and the hire fleets have started chugging down from Stalham. The Broads is a fantastic area to explore, wouldn't it be nice to go at a quieter time. David from the DCA goes every year between the Bank Holidays and says its very quiet.

Please remember one of the factors of being a disorganisation is that there isn't an organising committee, but things don't just happen by accident.  If any of you want to have a rally at Barton or anywhere else then please start a new thread, see who's interested, and get it organised.

Peace Love and Understanding man.
Graham
Ratcatcherjohn Ratcatcherjohn

RE: Thames 'Raid' 2012

Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 05:46:03 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

Thanks Simon.

So, who's interested in going to Barton Turf this year?

Peter

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Thames-Raid-2012-tp3504097p3506861.html
See how NAML generates this email

Re: Barton Turf 2012

No real reason why the HBBR meet at Barton Turf (assuming peole want one) has to be on the Spring Bank Holiday weekend. Other weekends are currently free, e.g. May 5-7. We'll be happy to have you whenever you want to come.

Simon

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

Hi Peter,
Peter Nobes wrote
It's still "on topic" as my decision about the raid will depend on what's happening about Barton Turf.
I fully accept that your decision on where to go may depend on the dates of clashing events.

I just feel it would have been a little safer if you had alluded non-specifically under this topic to clashing events and asked the specific question in the appropriate topic/thread.

I'm sure that had the clashing event been some family affair you'd ask the appropriate member of your family about the date. The appropriate thing to do about a potentially clashing UK-HBBR event is to ask in a separate message under a topic/thread with the appropriate subject line.

The trouble is that there is a pronounced risk that by posing the question here and in quite the way you did then, knowing the ill-discipline and lack of technical knowledge of some here, it's quite likely to turn into the definitive Barton Turf discussion too. Something we need to avoid as our group grows ever bigger with ever more venues and dates proposed.

We need to bear in mind that this is no longer a small mail list, where everyone knows everyone else. No longer will everyone will read every message. Some here post exclusively by email and read everything. Some will skip messages on the basis of subject line, some will only visit the forum and only go to topics with an appropriate subject line.

Apologies if I seemed to be getting at you. My post wasn't intended to be personal, just a gentle reminder to all that as we grow bigger more discipline is required, especially, since our group moved to this multi-various forum/mail list vehicle, which does tend to complicate things a trifle.

Re: Barton Turf 2012

It looks like the AYRS meeting will be 5-7 May, primarily to avoid traffic on the broad. (NB Date yet to be confirmed)

Simon

Re: Barton Turf 2012

The 7th May is a Bank Holiday so the road traffic will probably be horrendous - enough to put me off.

As I recall none of us brought kids along, so we could pick a non-bank holiday 3-day weekend which should make travelling almost bearable. I'd gladly use a day or more of work holiday to meet my HBBR chums.

-Paul

Sail when you can, motor when you can't http://www.millibee.com

Re: Barton Turf 2012

Alternatively how about 4th-7th May? Travelling Thursday and Monday evenings (for example) should be easier and 4 days does more to justify my 200+ mile journey.

-Paul
Sail when you can, motor when you can't http://www.millibee.com
Mark Harvey Mark Harvey

Re: Barton Turf 2012

I look forward to this event and I am in if a date can be decided upon!

Re: Barton Turf 2012

Mark Harvey wrote
I look forward to this event and I am in if a date can be decided upon!
As I will not be undertaking a major re-paint of my boat this year (See blog for interminable details!), I would hope to bring both my good lady and "Just 17" round from her Hickling mooring to join the traditional Saturday evening BBQ as well, but I do need a date.

Could even be persuaded to bring the full one man band (guitars, ukulele, harmonicas, kazoo, high-hat, organ pedals, etc) for added evening entertainment!

Re: Barton Turf 2012

I see that talk of my one man band finally killed off all thought of a Barton rally this year. :-)

Shame, because I just posted on the Norfolk Broads Forum, suggesting that a guy proposing to build his own boat should come along.

Should I start a Barton 2013 topic?
Peter Nobes Peter Nobes

Re: Barton Turf 2012

Yes please!

Re: Barton Turf 2012

Greg,
The answer is yes. Start the topic, run it up the flagpole and see if anyone kicks it into touch. Someone might even salute if we're singing from the same hymn sheet.

I would give the boating more emphasis than the one man band though eh?

2013 is a very long way off and life is a bit unpredictable at the moment so don't take this as any form of commitment but personally I'd avoid bank Holidays and Half Term.

Re: Barton Turf 2012

I feel the same way as Graham.

The Bank Holiday trip was a 4 hour nightmare for me, plus an endless queue of huge motor boats when we ventured away for a few days - never again for a short stay.

I'd like 5 days or more to justify the 200+ mile journey, ideally a whole week to allow for a voyage around the Broads for a few days..hopefully through narrow bridges to escape the floating hotels. Actually I would prefer an adventurous raid just like the Thames Raid.

If there is an interesting round trip close to the charging points that would be perfect for me:

Charging Link

-Paul
Sail when you can, motor when you can't http://www.millibee.com

Re: Barton Turf 2012

Staying north east of Potter Heigham bridge would get my vote, as none of the big plastic monstrosities can get up there.  There are some great little quiet places up that end (I still remember a magical night spent moored up in the reeds, miles from anyone else), plus there is the, often windy, expanse of Horsey Mere for those that want to sail around like hooligans for an hour or two.

Last time I was up that end there was an electric charging point at Potter Heigham and another at the top of Hickling (we were in a yacht with an electric auxiliary).

Jeremy

Re: Barton Turf 2012

I love the Broads, but have to agree

I too would prefer a week long 'raid' to make it worth while.  Sadly, with the price of fuel these days, going a distance is frankly too expensive unless you really make it count.  You could always start with a weekend and just be aware that some of us will refuse to go home on the Sunday.

You know - throwing oursleves to the ground, screaming and banging our heels; that sort of thing....

CW
gregandginas gregandginas

Re: Barton Turf 2012

Any HBBR folk interested in a few days at Barton Turf this year (2012) would be most welcome to join the Open Canoe Sailing Group's forthcoming meet.

I've created a new thread for this: see OCSG @ Barton Turf, 1st - 5th June, 2012