Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

12

Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

Hi All,
Well it's now 2017 so I'm starting this new thread specifically for the Barton Turf Rally.

For people who haven't been to Barton Turf before here is the inside information.
The event is held at;
The Barton Turf Adventure Centre
Staith Road
Barton Turf
Norfolk
NR12 8AZ
Dates 19th - 21st May 2017.

The Centre offers; camping facilities, limited caravan pitches, static tents for hire, full catering if required.
Our Hosts are Simon and Sheila who always make us feel welcome and the food is legendary.
There are launching facilities for small boats and access onto Barton Broad and the extensive Broads network.

PLEASE NOTE;   For Camping, Catering etc please book directly with Simon and Sheila using the Individual Group Member Booking Form available here.  BTAC WEB Site

It would also be good if you could let us know here if you are coming or not.
Hope to see you then.
Graham.

Peter Nobes Peter Nobes

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

I'm going. Sadly the coxswain can't come this year, but I'm bringing a friend.

Who else is going?

Best
Peter

On 3 January 2017 at 17:55, Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Barton-Turf-Spring-Rally-19th-21st-May-2017-tp4029894.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

Peter Nobes
Teacher of the Alexander Technique - Mindfulness in Action
London UK
020 7928 6378

Alexander Technique London

Alexander Technique teacher training

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

See you there Peter, looking forward to it.
Graham
inwe inwe

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

I will be waiting for you.

Richard
Ratcatcherjohn Ratcatcherjohn

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

With luck, Peter.  I`m still trying to gain "Brownie Points".   Cheers   John

[...]

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Barton-Turf-Spring-Rally-19th-21st-May-2017-tp4029894p4030115.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email ml+[hidden email]
mrpsmith77 mrpsmith77

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

Hi. I'm booked in with the centre. Bringing my Hobie and hope to arrive Friday afternoon. Mark S.

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

I won't be able to make it chaps. I doubt I could drive that far with my buggered up back.

See you all soon hopefully.
Chris Adeney Chris Adeney

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

Sadly cannot make it. Too much going on at home. Chris A.

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

Shame.

Hopefully see you on some other occasion soon.

Tim.

On 15 May 2017, at 07:49, Chris Adeney [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sadly cannot make it. Too much going on at home. Chris A.

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Barton-Turf-Spring-Rally-19th-21st-May-2017-tp4029894p4030138.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

inwe inwe

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

Thanks to Simon and Sheila for being such good hosts and to all for a friendly and enjoyable weekend.

Richard

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

A great weekend.

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

Yes a brilliant weekend, great weather, great location, and great company.
Here's a very short video featuring Richard, CW,  a very pretty house I've seen on Telly with Kevin McCloud, and Katie Beardie in her brand new suit of sails, including roller blind reefing.

We should do it again next year.
Graham.

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

I must admit after the 6 hour drive up I swore this was the last time, but... how about doing a "Barton Weekend Plus"so those with commitments can just do sat / sun at BTAC, while those of us with time on our hands can start at, say, Wroxham, on the previous Wednesday, cruise to Barton, and return for the following Weds. Would probably be limited to sleep-aboard boats however.

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

Two Broads disasters remembered on my Facebook feed:
Chris Bevan posted:
My wife, 18 month toddler and I were cruising these waters many years ago. It was a beautiful day so we decided to stop for tea. We coasted just out of the channel and I walked forward and kicked the mudweight over the side. Our son, who could hardly walk, ran to the bows and I just caught him as he was about to go over the side. It appears that My wife was very worried that our son would fall overboard, so she tied his harness to a length of rope lying on deck, which was tied to the mudweight.

I replied:
My cousin's husband told me yesterday his father had a yacht on the Broads when he was small. They were running before the wind on the very broad pictured (Barton) with the boom right out, his father helming. Unfortunately he got too close to one of the enormous channel marker posts which caught the main sheet...which was wrapped round his wooden leg. He was efficiently hoiked out of the boat and into the water.
Luckily Mum was aboard and she got the boat under control and Dad out of the water with no ill effects.

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

Chris Partridge wrote
I must admit after the 6 hour drive up I swore this was the last time, but... how about doing a "Barton Weekend Plus"so those with commitments can just do sat / sun at BTAC, while those of us with time on our hands can start at, say, Wroxham, on the previous Wednesday, cruise to Barton, and return for the following Weds. Would probably be limited to sleep-aboard boats however.
Agreed. If there was an optional week long raid, the travel would be justified. Sleep-aboard and possibly campers? I don't know how easy it is to camp. We could raft boats together by lashing oars across the hulls, to make narrow hulls easier to sleep-aboard; anyone is welcome to tie up against MilliBee etc.

Glad you all had a good time.

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

Chris Partridge wrote
 how about doing a "Barton Weekend Plus"so those with commitments can just do sat / sun at BTAC, while those of us with time on our hands can start at, say, Wroxham, on the previous Wednesday, cruise to Barton, and return for the following Weds.
Would work. Light boats could put in a Coltishall, and there may be a slip still at Belaugh for bigger ones. (I need to go and look).

Wild camping happens although it is not encouraged obviously.

Boats with power could put in on the southern rivers (Beccles?) and come up north across Breydon. The tides run a bit quickly through Yarmouth though, so power or a tow is useful even at slack water, although the wherries used to go through under quant and trudge when the tug wasn't available (as it isn't now).

Simon

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

The essential adjunct to a slipway is somewhere to leave the car+trailer for a week.
I have used a quant pole but what is a trudge? Unless it means trudging down the side deck pushing the quant?
Ratcatcherjohn Ratcatcherjohn

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

Good Morning All.

Can I add my thanks to all who contributed to a cracking good weekend.  Again I must compliment Sheila, ably assisted by Simon and Ash on the food, they keep setting the bar even higher !

Thanks for the company, gentlemen.  I will give serious consideration to the many modifications to `TBA Too`  that were proposed by certain members the "Planning & Future Projects Committee".

I look forward to us  re-convening in the Beer Tent at Beale Park.  Safe sailing for those who face all the perils of the Thames, beware of the `gastro-intestinal` ones in particular.

Cheers   John

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Barton-Turf-Spring-Rally-19th-21st-May-2017-tp4029894p4030159.html

To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email ml+[hidden email]

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

I have always known it as drudging. It means dragging a heavy weight
to simultaneously slow you down and seriously disturb any bottom
dwelling wild life.

A week (or more) on the water would make the trip almost worth while.

--
Sail when you can, row when you must, motor only
when you have to be at work in the morning.

Alastair Law

Re: Barton Turf Spring Rally. 19th - 21st May 2017

Hi Chris,
Chris Partridge wrote
The essential adjunct to a slipway is somewhere to leave the car+trailer for a week.
As my Diana would probably object to a collection of cars and trailers on our drive for a week, I would have to recommend an approach to: http://www.wayfordmarineservices.co.uk/land-storage/

It's a scruffy place of little refinement, with deep ruts and pot holes in the main roadway through the site and run by a bit of a rough diamond, but much favoured by locals wanting a cheap place to store and work on project boats.

I used it myself back in 2011 when I scrubbed  Just 17 back to its gel coat before a repaint. It's a place you home boat builders could spend a few hours drooling at other people's projects.
12