Beale 'Raid' 2013

1234 ... 7
AdrianG AdrianG

Beale 'Raid' 2013

Greetings me hearties

There has already been mention of post-Beale meanderings in the general 'meetings 2013' thread. With 4 weeks (-ish) to go, I thought I'd fire up this separate thread specifically for this potential voyage. The gist so far appears to be pootling down the Thames at the end of the Beale boat show, then turning right and following the Kennet & Avon canal for an undetermined length of time. Is that the general opinion of those interested? (Underfall Yard in Bristol looks like an excellent goal, though a couple of flights of locks might slow things down a bit!)

Kind regards
Adrian

Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

Good move Adrian.

Time has run away this year and I've not yet had the ability (broken leg) or, since then, the time to get out and do a recce on the ground.

A first night camp at Mapledurham makes for a reasonably pleasant afternoon stretch after leaving Beale. It's a big place and there shouldn't be a problem making a booking there but it does need doing once we know numbers.

It could be fun if people unable to do the whole trip joined the group for the departure from Beale (we hope for a grand send off in bright sunshine.) Some may then need to return but others may carry on and join the Sunday evening camp at Mapledurham before returning home.

There doesn't seem to be any official campsites thereafter, hence the need to go see on the ground. Being a canal there will be little issue with those that sleep aboard. What we need to know is how many the overnight locations can accommodate discreetly sleeping ashore. With permission would be good, or without permission but causing no offence to anyone as an alternative.

Past experience of HBBR trips suggests suitable daily distances of around 8-9 miles. This would dictate stops near Fobney Lock, then Woolhampton Lock and Benham Lock before wrapping up in Hungerford on Thursday. Again an on the ground assessment of the facilities for retrieving boats is required at Hungerford. The nearest slipway does seem to be at Newbury (Web says there's a slipway on Greenham Island in Newbury my guess is it's at  51°24'4.04"N 1°18'59.43"W. Belongs to the Newbury Marina http://www.newburymarina.com.) The next slipway then being at Devizes then Bradford on Avon (but only open to the public Tues/Wed/Thur) then no more that I can trace till Bath!

Gillie Jackson at Beale will need to be communicated with to make arrangements for boats to accumulate on some patch of ground prior to departure on the Sunday. Likewise to arrange for vehicles to be parked pending a return to collect them at the end of the trip. From Hungerford or Newbury it's an easy train trip to Pangbourne, then a short taxi ride to Beale.

My personal plan is to carry on and see how far I can get on Friday and get picked up sometime over the weekend by family who, buy then, will be so anxious to see me that they're willing to come and get me from wherever I get to. Bath might be a bit ambitious given the tunnel and flight of locks in the way, but I could be tempted to try.

To take this in stages:

First... could people post here toregister their intent to take part and indicate 1) how much of the trip they plan to join (just the departure from Beale, the departure and  Sunday night, the trip till Thursday, or indeed beyond that?)  2) what boat they plan to bring and whether it can be recovered up a canal bank or needs a slip 3) whether they will be sleeping afloat or need to be ashore and 4) whether they intend to leave a car at Beale (if so the registration number will be needed by Beale.)

Second... I have set aside Tuesday 14th next week to do a recce. If anyone else wants to go have a look we can split the research or meet up.

Third... I'm happy to be in touch with Gillie at Beale, but if anyone else wants to take any part of that on do shout and I'll pass on details.

Fourth... as soon as we know numbers I'm also happy to contact Mapledurham and book the camping there, again happy if someone else feels like doing it!

What else needs doing?

Tim.

On 7 May 2013 at 9:32, Timmo [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> First... could people post here toregister their intent to take part
> and indicate

I have been having phone conversations, on and off, with the Canal &
River Trust and have finally got them to admit that if I give a Boy
Scout salute and promise that my boat is safe then I won't have to
pay someone £100 to say it for me. So yes, I would like to register
my intent (in cabin?) to take part.

> 1) how much of the trip they plan to join (just the
> departure from Beale, the departure and  Sunday night, the trip till
> Thursday, or indeed beyond that?)

All the way, and possibly further.

> 2) what boat they plan to bring and
> whether it can be recovered up a canal bank or needs a slip

Little Jim - needs a slip

3) whether
> they will be sleeping afloat or need to be ashore

Sleeping afloat

> and 4) whether they
> intend to leave a car at Beale (if so the registration number will be
> needed by Beale.)

Yes. Y856 XGC

I have spent much of the last year pondering over Jeremy's idea of a
generator-in-a-shoe-box and came up with some schemes of my own.
However then I came across this <http://www.thesupercharger.co.uk/>
and, deciding that a generator in the hand was worth several in the
mind, I bought one. So any battery charging along the way can now be
catered for.

--
Hoping for calm nights

Alastair Law,

Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

The SuperCharger looks like an interesting bit of kit.

It's 4 stroke so no oil pollution

But how noisy is it?

Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

Thanks Al.

Am looking forward to hearing (or not!) that little generator.

We just acquired a campervan and I was considering solar panels but could easily be persuaded to switch tack to a Supercharger. Specially as the van has an LPG tank with external take off so we could simply run the beastie off that. Saves carrying petrol.

On 8 May 2013, at 14:15, alopenboat [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

On 7 May 2013 at 9:32, Timmo [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> First... could people post here toregister their intent to take part
> and indicate

I have been having phone conversations, on and off, with the Canal &
River Trust and have finally got them to admit that if I give a Boy
Scout salute and promise that my boat is safe then I won't have to
pay someone £100 to say it for me. So yes, I would like to register
my intent (in cabin?) to take part.

> 1) how much of the trip they plan to join (just the
> departure from Beale, the departure and  Sunday night, the trip till
> Thursday, or indeed beyond that?)

All the way, and possibly further.

> 2) what boat they plan to bring and
> whether it can be recovered up a canal bank or needs a slip

Little Jim - needs a slip

3) whether
> they will be sleeping afloat or need to be ashore

Sleeping afloat

> and 4) whether they
> intend to leave a car at Beale (if so the registration number will be
> needed by Beale.)

Yes. Y856 XGC

I have spent much of the last year pondering over Jeremy's idea of a
generator-in-a-shoe-box and came up with some schemes of my own.
However then I came across this <http://www.thesupercharger.co.uk/>
and, deciding that a generator in the hand was worth several in the
mind, I bought one. So any battery charging along the way can now be
catered for.

--
Hoping for calm nights

Alastair Law,

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Beale-Raid-2013-tp4026414p4026428.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

AdrianG AdrianG

Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

"All the way, and possibly further"
I like your style, Alastair!

Me, I aim to travel West as long as possible in a canoe of some sort, camping as we go. I don't expect to be leaving a vehicle at Beale.

Kind regards
Adrian

Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

Thanks Adrian.

> Me, I aim to travel West as long as possible in a canoe of some sort, camping as we go. I don't expect to be leaving a vehicle at Beale.
>
> Kind regards
> Adrian

Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

On 8 May 2013 at 6:49, adminHBBR [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> The SuperCharger looks like an interesting bit of kit.
>
> It's 4 stroke so no oil pollution
>
> But how noisy is it?
>
> -Paul

It's a lot quieter (and lighter) than the genny we had last year.

My plan is to mount it on the aft deck and drive the electric
outboard directly (charging the battery, if necessary, at the same
time). Early results show that it is not too noisy on board with the
exhaust facing away from the cabin. I will be interested in comments
from following craft. The setup will allow me to switch off the genny
when in close company and continue running on the battery.

I envision that the main future use will be on windless off-shore
passages where noise is less important.

--
Hoping for calm nights

Alastair Law,

Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

On 7 May 2013 at 9:32, Timmo [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> Past experience of HBBR trips suggests suitable daily distances of
> around 8-9 miles. This would dictate stops near Fobney Lock, then
> Woolhampton Lock and Benham Lock before wrapping up in Hungerford on
> Thursday.

Don't they say to count each lock as another mile. There are a lot of
locks there.

Talking of which, do we know if we need windy handles for
do-it-yourself locking or are they manned?

--
Hoping for calm nights

Alastair Law,

Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

Good point Al,  will look at that. The 8-9 miles is based on the three Thames trips we've done which also incorporate locks (though often operated by keeper) so I can look more closely at the comparison.

The locks on the Kennet and Avon won't be generally be manned. I do have my own windy handle but we'll need more since (being the HBBR) we'll be unlikely to arrive at locks together and, even if we did, it's more efficient to have more than one.

Makes quite a useful device for emergency mooring as well. I, fearing a clumsy accident, have added a small float on a length of line to a shackle through the handle of mine. Not enough to float it but enough to help me find it and retrieve it when it gets dropped in the water! They find loads when they drain locks for maintenance.

The other keys worth having are first what was called the British Waterways Key

which opens toilets and those locks that are locked and also the

which opens utilities like water supplies etc.

Tim.

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Beale-Raid-2013-tp4026414p4026434.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

Turning right at Beale and keeping on until Thursday, please TimmO

2.  Camping aboard 'Polly Wee' and she could be persuaded to sidle up a small bank with the help of some chums; otherwise I'll take her back to that nearby slip.

3.  The Great White Galloper (S970 GPN) would like a spot at Beale until it's time to go home.

Seems you live in the right place at an opportune moment for the rest of us.  I'd try to be more help if I was a little closer, but as it is your recurrently picking up the ball and running with it, is much appreciated

Many thanks

Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

I plan to paddle my own canoe trying to keep up with everyone else. Camping ashore under a hedge maybe in one of those basting bags. I'll peel off around thursday. Car reg AK09MUC
Thanks for your efforts Tim.

Grum

Thanks Adrian.

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Beale-Raid-2013-tp4026414p4026432.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

During a bit of surfing tonight I came across
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Lock> . Among other useful
information is the paragraph :-

"To add to the difficulty, at its narrowest the gut is only 25 feet
(7.6 m) wide, causing strong currents. Boats cannot safely pass due
to the tortuous and narrow route, and there have been instances in
the past of boats colliding and sinking. Today passage through the
gut is controlled by traffic lights."

Has anyone got any idea how fast a "strong current" is?

--
Hoping for calm nights

Alastair Law,

Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

Interesting. I found this too.

"County Lock Reading
As soon as he leaves County Lock going downstream the boater enters a section of river which ran through the former Simmonds Brewery and was known as \"Brewery Gut\". Now surrounded by a shopping centre and places of entertainment. The river is narrow and runs quickly here even when water levels are normal, the bends, and there are many, come fast and furious with little warning. A bit like going down the Cresta Run but more exciting, there is no possibility of anything coming the other way on the Cresta Run*. Another thing, you need to be travelling about four mph faster than the current to maintain steerage way. No place for the timid, foolhardy yes, timid no. The best is saved til last, High Bridge! It is not high (you need to duck) and the sides slope down to the waters edge giving a navigable width in the middle of about 20 feet, much less when there is plenty of fresh** in river. The author, being young and foolish at the time of his first passage, a mere stripling only a year after retirement, went through early in the year when there was quite a lot of \"fresh\" and managed with only a very minor scrape under High Bridge.
by MEP
  • Passage in both directions through Brewery Gut is controlled by traffic lights, but some boaters don't know what they are for and ignore them.
  • * Fresh water producing high levels and a fast flow.

Will go have a look. I suspect it may be more daunting heading downstream in a 72ft narrow boat than we'll find it going upstream in small boats but will be good to know what current we'll be pushing against. WIll try and get a look, but any info others can find will be useful.

Is Ratcatcher John signing up? if so his towing capacity might be welcomed!

On 8 May 2013, at 22:12, alopenboat [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:
"To add to the difficulty, at its narrowest the gut is only 25 feet
(7.6 m) wide, causing strong currents. Boats cannot safely pass due
to the tortuous and narrow route, and there have been instances in
the past of boats colliding and sinking. Today passage through the
gut is controlled by traffic lights."

Has anyone got any idea how fast a "strong current" is?

Alastair Law,

Ratcatcherjohn Ratcatcherjohn

RE: Beale 'Raid' 2013

Good morning Tim et al,

Unfortunately, TBA  will not be available for `Towing & Stand-By Salvage Duty` during  the "Beale `Raid` 2013.  The skipper has been tasked with taking his good lady on her annual inspection of the vineyards and chateauxses  of the Loire Valley.
He just might just make it to Beale, providing he can produce a new potting shed in the next three weeks !!

John   ( o` the rodent entrapment).

Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 00:02:31 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Beale-Raid-2013-tp4026414p4026440.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

Hi John.

Won't be the same without you!

On 9 May 2013, at 09:07, Ratcatcherjohn [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:
Unfortunately, TBA  will not be available for `Towing & Stand-By Salvage Duty` during  the "Beale `Raid` 2013.  The skipper has been tasked with taking his good lady on her annual inspection of the vineyards and chateauxses  of the Loire Valley.

John   ( o` the rodent entrapment).

Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

I'd love to join you all, but MilliBee might not be ready in time....it's a shame because because she also has towing capacity.

-Paul
David Bewick David Bewick

Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

Guys,

My daughter lives near the canal in Reading.  I was there during the worst of the deluge last winter and the water was really honking over the weir and straight over the top of lock nearest to her.  I guess it was doing about 6 kts!  I am not sure what this lock is called, but it is the one nearest to the Oracle.

I am sure it will be fine in early June as we all know the sun always shines, then

I still have not made up my mind about this trip (nothing to do with the above) but I will declare my intentions soon.

Adrian,  will this be the first outing for the new canoe?

Regards,

David.

Re: Beale 'Raid' 2013

Definately wouldn't be the same without Millibee. Just need to get glueing!

Tim.