Quantcast

Bruere Visser from South Africa

Bruere Visser Bruere Visser

Bruere Visser from South Africa

Hi everyone

From what I gather I might be your 1st South African on the forum.
I met Timmo (as he calls himself on this forum) a few weeks ago in South Africa and he told me all about his boats that he's built. This made me very excited, of coarse, to start building my own very soon. He also invited me to join the forum and I very much looking forward to learning from all of you guys and would like to add value to this forum in any way I can.

Basically I don't have any boat building experience, I have only fixed up a canoe, when I was at school as a child, my parents had in the garden that they wanted to use a decoration.

I have some sailing experience but I def don't think I'll win a regatta with my current knowledge.

I have always wanted to build to my own boat and think that I will def have one completed before the end of the year.

Just looking around for some boat plans at the moment so should make up my mind pretty soon.

Warm Regards
Bruere Visser

Re: Bruere Visser from South Africa

Hi Bruere,

Glad you made it onto the forum.

Tim.

From: "Bruere Visser [via UK HBBR Forum]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Bruere Visser from South Africa

Hi everyone

From what I gather I might be your 1st South African on the forum.

tony waller tony waller

RE: Bruere Visser from South Africa

Hello Bruere and welcome. If you want any thoughts/advice as to which boat to build, every single person in this group will know which one (but all different).

P.S. You live in my wife’s homeland

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Bruere-Visser-from-South-Africa-tp3185105p3185105.html

Bruere Visser Bruere Visser

Re: Bruere Visser from South Africa

Hi Tim

Thanks:-)
Bruere Visser Bruere Visser

RE: Bruere Visser from South Africa

Hi Tony

I'm sure your wife must be a lovely lady. Thanks I might just take a chance and ask for some advice.

Anders Anders

RE: Bruere Visser from South Africa

You cant just ask for advice. You have to go through the big test first.

Where will you be using your boat, how many on board, Whats your skill level, oar, sail, engine. Your favorite color, your shoe size etc. Evereything is important.
Bruere Visser Bruere Visser

Re: Bruere Visser from South Africa

Hi Anders

Thank you very much, I thought that I would start with a timber
surfboard to just get into the boat building thing. I will def ask for
advice and give all the required information.

Many thanks
Bruere

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Anders [via UK HBBR Forum]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> You cant just ask for advice. You have to go through the big test first.
>
> Where will you be using your boat, how many on board, Whats your skill
> level, oar, sail, engine. Your favorite color, your shoe size etc.
> Evereything is important.

Re: Bruere Visser from South Africa

Timber surfboard sounds interesting.

How's the plan looking in your head? What timber are you thinking of? What construction method?

Tim.
Bruere Visser Bruere Visser

Re: Bruere Visser from South Africa

I have managed to find a board shaping program no the internet and one
that also gives you the rib, spine and rail sections which I have
already cut out of plywood. I have pretty much glued the whole thing
together and just have to do some trimming of the edges. I have spoken
to a very good carpenter in town here and he said that he will help me
with the decking of the board.
Not sure what kind of timber I'll be using but at the moment it looks
like a combination of oregon-pine,yellow wood, eucalyptus and then
also a very dark wood (if I can find some).

Just a question, if I cover the surfboard with an epoxy resin and I
varnish it afterwards, will the timber still show? Any advice on the
type of resin I should use and the way in which I have to apply it?

Bruere

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Timmo [via UK HBBR Forum]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Timber surfboard sounds interesting.
> How's the plan looking in your head? What timber are you thinking of? What
> construction method?
> Tim.

Re: Bruere Visser from South Africa

Hi Bruere.

How about some pics of the work so far.

Wood definitely shows through epoxy. You can even put a layer of woven glass fibre in the epoxy if you need extra strength (but it does add weight) and the wood still shows through beautifully. Epoxy is ultraviolet sensitive (goes milky white if exposed to sunlight over time) so it does need protecting with several layers of a good, UV filtering, varnish.

Which Epoxy? That will get some responses. There are strong opinions out there.

In the UK the biggest brands appear to be West and MAS, though there are many others. Not sure what brands are widely available in SA. For general coating the differences between them aren't a big issue provided you lay on multiple coats before any 'amine blush' can appear. That's a waxy finish that some epoxies develop as they fully cure.

Most people just paint on the epoxy, or apply it with a small paint roller (someone will remember what sort of foam doesn't dissolve immediately with epoxy) and 'tip it off' with a brush, or a foam brush (they're excellent) to pop any bubbles and smooth the finish.

However you do it be prepared for significant sanding to matt down the surface prior to varnishing. Power sanders rule. Best is a good random orbital and don't be mean about using up sanding discs.

Tim.

From: "Bruere Visser [via UK HBBR Forum]" <[hidden email]>

Subject: Re: Bruere Visser from South Africa

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Bruere-Visser-from-South-Africa-tp3185105p3300555.html
Bruere Visser Bruere Visser

Re: Bruere Visser from South Africa

Wow Tim

Thank you so much for all the advice! I will def sent you some
pictures. I think I will do some research about weather I need to use
a layer of woven glass or not because it will be battered in the waves
I guess.Will def get UV filtering varnish!

Thanks again, I'm sure I will come up with a few more questions.

Bruere