Buttons and Grows

It's all go today

You know those little sprung, silvery, button-thingies that allow you to adjust the length of tube based equipment, such as windsurfer booms and the like:

Anybody know what they're called and better yet, where I can get a pair in stainless steel?

Christo the W

Re: Buttons and Grows

Go to a windsurfing shop!

My windsurf boom never rusted, so the spring things must have been stainless.

Re: Buttons and Grows

Re: Buttons and Grows

Also check junk sales of broken windsurf kit...there will be at least 2 springies per boom.

Re: Buttons and Grows

Any rumours that this is for a boat tent are wide of the mark

Some time ago I made a pair of collapsible oars for my little gaffer and it occurs to me that 'Polly Wee' would benefit from a set as well, with flat blades and shortening to lie on the cockpit sole.  Then my nethers wouldn't be sharing the side-decks with the current curve bladed eight footers:

Just as suggested Paulie, I used some stainless spring-a-buttons from an old windsurfer boom, but I've run out of extending booms now and I just hoped I might find an easier way than paying even second-hand commercial prices for a boom I don't need, or spending the time waiting and wandering off to the local monthly windsurfer jumble some miles away.

Graham's on-line answer seemed ideal so I ordered a double one (a half for each oar), only to become embroiled in an e-conversation with the seller about how they sometimes come to a disagreement with salt water, but he'd taken the money and sent them anyway

Terriff!

So I'll give them a go and keep the ends tied on

Just in case