Charging gizmos on raids

This may be genius if it works as advertised.

Re: Charging gizmos on raids

Chris,

It works like a cooler box in reverse - they both use the Peltier effect.

Hot one side and cooler the other and you get out out an electric current. Put in some electric current and the (flat) Peltier junction gets hot one side and cooler the other...so its a reversible process.

What they don't mention is your smart phone could take an hour to recharge, so you need to be cooking/boiling for an hour, which could burn a lot of precious fuel.

I think its easier to nail a 5W solar panel to your hull - the gizmo will slowly charge through the day with no fuss or bother.

Re: Charging gizmos on raids

Paul's spot on; it's a good idea but deeply flawed by the fact that the inventors don't seem to have taken account of energy, only power.

A typical small mobile phone battery will have a capacity of around 4 to 5 Wh, so their 5 watt pot would need to be running for about an hour to recharge it,which is going to mean repeatedly boiling pots full of water just to get an adequate charge.  Something like an iPad needs around 25 Wh, so even the 10 W pot would need to be boiling away for 2 1/2 hours to charge it; the smaller 5 W pot would take 5 hours of boiling to charge.  Even a small notebook PC needs around 50 to 60 Wh to charge, so around 6 hours of boiling with the biggest 10 W pot.

As Paul says, a small solar panel has the big advantage of working all the time that there is daylight, so will generate a surprisingly large amount of energy over the course of a day.  A 5 W panel (something like this: http://www.sunflexsolarhk.com/product/sunflex-5w-flexible-solar-panel-5-watts-free-shipping, which is a smaller version of the flexible panels I have on the electric boat) would give around 10 to 15 Wh on an average sort of day, far more in bright sunshine, and all for around £20 plus the cost of something to regulate the voltage to match the thing being charged.

Re: Charging gizmos on raids

You could get quite a few spare batteries for $100.

I am fascinated by this battery problem. I read on another thread
that a particular hand held vhf had a good battery life because it
lasted a whole day on standby before needing recharging. My cheepo
vhf lasts a week! Similarly my cheepo phone only gets charged once a
week.

My problem is replacing the 30amp drain on my motor battery (how did
your mini generator turn out Jeremy?).

--
Hoping for calm nights

Alastair Law,

Re: Charging gizmos on raids

I think the idea is to recharge by putting the pot on a camp fire that will be going anyway, at a time when there is no solar energy around. It wouldn't be worth using up a gaz canister just to top up your phone, though I suppose it might be worth boiling a pot up to make a quick call if your battery is flat after a cloudy day.
Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Charging gizmos on raids

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Chris Partridge [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think the idea is to recharge by putting the pot on a camp fire that will be going anyway, at a time when there is no solar energy around. It wouldn't be worth using up a gaz canister just to top up your phone, though I suppose it might be worth boiling a pot up to make a quick call if your battery is flat after a cloudy day.

Yes, I think that's the idea.
In another group I'm a member of, there are  a few folks fabricating small solid fuel stoves, mainly for use in the outback when trail walking. These will burn all night and charge their gizmos at the same time. They're using these TEGs http://tegpower.com/pro4.htm

Pete

That sounds like an altogether more practical idea, far better than building a TEG into a cooking pot, in my view.  It'd probably meet the aspirations of the guys with the cooking pot venture in a somewhat more practical manner, too.
Ratcatcherjohn Ratcatcherjohn

RE: Charging gizmos on raids

And there are around 749 million acres of forest in USA expanding at 0.1% / year so not much of a fuel shortage there.

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:53:19 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Charging gizmos on raids

Randonneur wrote
In another group I'm a member of, there are  a few folks fabricating small
solid fuel stoves, mainly for use in the outback when trail walking. These
will burn all night and charge their gizmos at the same time. They're using
these TEGs http://tegpower.com/pro4.htm

Pete
That sounds like an altogether more practical idea, far better than building a TEG into a cooking pot, in my view.  It'd probably meet the aspirations of the guys with the cooking pot venture in a somewhat more practical manner, too.

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Charging-gizmos-on-raids-tp3904694p3905691.html

Re: Charging gizmos on raids

It might be better to put a TEG in a gas-powered lamp that is left burning for a few hours at at time.

Re: Charging gizmos on raids

Chaps,

MilliBee is now wired with 4 car sockets and I have 2 plug-in USB adaptors (1 Amp each) - so bring a car charger or USB lead on the Thames Raid if you need to charge a phone.

Is anybody bringing an iPad or notebook? They might have problems with the 1 Amp limit, or they might simply take longer to charge...we'll have to see what happens.

tony waller tony waller

RE: Charging gizmos on raids

Great news! This is why I was so worried about your boat-towing car problems.

RE: Charging gizmos on raids

tony waller wrote
Great news! This is why I was so worried about your boat-towing car
problems.
Tony,

I'm glad to help.

BTW:
Offline 3 people have offered to help with a tow to Lechlade - my thanks go to all of them.

What a fantastic group we are! I'm really looking forward to the Raid.

-Paul