Coming up Trumps on Trolleys?

This post was updated on .
After recently making enquiries about trolley stub axles

It's possible I have come up with the mother lode - Ross Castors:

http://www.rosscastors.co.uk/

I talked to 'Ross' who assures me it's a coincidence and they sell the standard sort of pneumatic tyred, trolley wheels for a tad over £15 a piece, (Code:  PW-400-8-25.4-68).

Better than that, a metre of 1", (25.4 mm), of 1.5 mm walled, stainless tube for stub axles, (under 'Accessories, axle kits': 1" STEEL TUBE) for rather over a fiver.  Well under half the price from "Metals4U" and you don't have to buy nearly ten feet of the stuff at some seven times as much....

I think

Maths never was my strong point, but Paulie, I reckon you're better off on your own, unless you and/or some others would like to go in on this and we can get it even cheaper by multiple ordering.

Unless someone out there knows better?

Re: Coming up Trumps on Trolleys?

ROSS certainly have an excellent selection.

Those 400mm rubber wheels are larger than standard trailer road wheels, so they must be good for moving a big boat like MilliBee over lumpy, bumpy stuff.

Are you sure the "STEEL" axles really are stainless?

Re: Coming up Trumps on Trolleys?

Had to be too good to be true, didn't it?

I checked with Ross again and he agreed that his enthusiasm had overcome his accuracy.  However he is going to find out about stainless and come back to me....

It'll be 304 grade of course and we'll have to go round the buoys again, again.  Can one of our experts who shall remain nameless, but I shall call Jeremy, tell us about stainless 'pipe' as opposed to 'tube', which I believe is 304 and only sold in internal diameters -

Any good looking at some of that?

On a similar note, I discovered well over a decade ago, that trolley wheels are measured in diameters that include the tyre, so 400 mm is actually pretty standard stuff and the same 15"-ish overall as a small trailer tyre

Life's hell, isn't it?

CW
Alan Alan

Re: Coming up Trumps on Trolleys?

http://www.metals4u.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-Tube/1-od-x-1.5mm-304-Satin-Polished-Tube/85/3040/detail.asp
Jeremy posted the above link on another trailer post so here it is again. Worth reading his post too.

And another thing - I made a launching trolley years ago from galvanised electrical conduit, it lasted many many years.

Re: Coming up Trumps on Trolleys?

Ebay is a good source - I picked up 150mm x 12mm solid stainless bar for my centreboard pivot for less than the price of a pint.

For £10 you can buy 25mm x 500mm of Stainless Tube.... 250mm lengths stuffed into a wooden beam seem good enough for an axle?
Only £2 carriage (2nd class), far cheaper than Metals4U who charge a minimum £15 carriage.

Re: Coming up Trumps on Trolleys?

Yes, ebay is pretty good for small quantities, I recently bought some 12mm 316 stainless bar from ebay and it was much cheaper than getting it directly from one of the local metal merchants.

I can confirm that stainless tube/pipe is usually sized as outside diameter, rather than bore.  Although it's more normal (at least in times gone by) for pipe to be defined by bore, in recent years that's changed (hence the old 1/2" copper pipe is now more or less the same as the new 15mm OD copper pipe).

I happen to have a metre of 1" OD x 16g wall 304 stainless sat here if you want a couple of lumps, Chris.  Let me know what size bits you need for the stub axles and I'll cut them off and stick them in a Jiffy bag to you.  IF you want bits of dowel stuffed down them, then I might well be able to turn some bits up and push them in for you.  In fact, I may have some acetal or similar that might fit, and might be better than dowel, I'll have to have a dig around and see what I've got lurking in the workshop.

Re: Coming up Trumps on Trolleys?

The input is much appreciated Boys

I actually need to make up two trolleys, so four chunks; (it's the fleet you know).  A quarter of a metre should be plenty, for a standard barrow/trolley type plastic wheel and pneumatic tyre.

However Jeremy, I don't see why you should have to stand me a whole metre; I'd pay you for the privilege if it is going begging, otherwise I'm happy to go on e-Bay and take my chances.

304 is resistant enough is it?

Thanks again

Chris

Re: Coming up Trumps on Trolleys?

304 should be OK, Chris, as it's not going to be immersed continuously.

I can easily cut some lengths off and clean the ends up on the lathe for you, plus shorter lengths will be easier to stick in the post.  Unfortunately I can't get started on this till later this week, as I'm to Dublin this afternoon to see our builder.

I'll be back on Wednesday, so will take a look then and see what I've got lurking in the junk pile.

Re: Coming up Trumps on Trolleys?

Thanks for this Jeremy

I'm going to go private to provide my address when you have a moment

Chris

Re: Coming up Trumps on Trolleys?

Sorry for the delay on this, Chris, things have conspired to soak up all my spare time of late.  Anyway, these:

will be winging their way to you in the post tomorrow, so you should have them by the end of the week.

Re: Coming up Trumps on Trolleys?

Beautiful!

Worth at least half a pint, next time we're at the Horse & Jockey

'Proof Spirit' that is

Many thanks

CW

(I've just found out that 'Proof Spirit' is anything with sufficient alcohol that when gunpowder is soaked in it, it will still ignite.  B-Y-O-Gunpowder; parrots optional.)