It was an excellent 2 weeks for me, fun exercise and my back became stronger.
The highlight was completing the Hayling Challenge in MilliBee, with Chris W as crew. We completed it in 5 hours 59 minutes, going anti-clockwise leaving 2-3 hours after low tide. It was heavy going on the right side of the island, tacking against tide. We dropped the genoa when I got a bit tired, but some creamed rice pudding (!) gave me a boost. We realised she was getting nowhere so raised the Wayfarer Genoa again.
The new centerboard in MilliBee performs exceptionally well, providing lift and stability. I almost kept up with the Racing Mirror crews as they sailed up the channel to the race area, about 500m South of East Head. The Racing Mirrors have a full Bermudan rig.
One trip to East Head was amusing - make sure you get the tides right. Can you spot the mistake?
I calculated floating at about 6.30pm, so Al and myself went for a long walk for an ice cream then later to the Cafe. Al left at a sensible time, but it was getting dark when the water finally returned to MilliBee. That produced some stunning sunsets:
I had my "anchor" light on. A simple multi-smd LED that is normally super bright but takes 160ma. So I put a 270 Ohm resistor in series to drop the current to about 50ma. That reduced the load on the leisure battery but it was still bright enough.
It's great fun sailing in the dark - I only saw and met one boat from East Head back to Cobnor. You basically follow the flashing green marks down the channel. But the Navionics app on my tablet was a brilliant backup for the marks, showing my GPS position down the channel.
You just press Start and the screen automatically updates your speed over ground (SOG) and draws your direction as a red line. The line is excellent to ensure you are sailing right down the channel, more or less.
Here is a screenshot of my Track, shown in yellow, that it recorded hands-free. I started at 19:47 and ended at 20:41, 1.1 Nm, an average of 1.3 kts and max speed of 4.2 kts.
Cliff Martin (DCA) noticed the distance error in the Track 1 from East Head to Cobnor. Google shows it to be about 2.3Nm, not the 1.1Nm that Navionics claim. It submit a bug report to them. Perhaps losing GPS coords reset the distance half way.
It looks to me that the app calculated my average speed wrong; and the error was calculating distance as: average speed x time in the summary.
That is: 1.25 * (53 mins) or 1.25 kn * 0.8833 hours = 1.1 Nm
The daft thing is the app recorded hundreds of GPS points. Just adding those points together gives a very accurate distance.
If you have Google Earth here is the .kmz file of my track: