DCA Cobnor

Just a reminder that Cobnor has started, and extends over the weekend, all next week and the weekend after. Phil Oxborrow, Paul Hadley, Al Law and others are drifting in. Anyone else planning to come?

RE: DCA Cobnor

I'll be there when I get my sh*t together.
Watching the forecast, the weekend looks a bit naff. Better Later.
Don't wait up.
Graham

RE: DCA Cobnor

I'm coming on Sunday. Save me a place Graham.
Richard

Re: DCA Cobnor

Been there

Circumnavigated Hayling; got Harry soakers

Back tomorrow with a view to

Testing the hairy stuff

Will That do?

Re: DCA Cobnor

Saturday 10.35 -

Have decided I don't want to muss my hair up

May be down later

Re: DCA Cobnor

MilliBee did the DCA Hayling Challenge in 5 hours 59 minutes!

Chris W was crew and piloted me around the anti-clockwise course.

I was so pleased on a personal level to achieve the challenge.

Also MilliBee coped very well, keeping us dry and safe. The new centre board transformed her, pointing better and generating a lot of lift.

Re: DCA Cobnor

Just back from an excellent week at Cobnor.
Pretty much the best sailing weather we've had there for a few years, even if it was a bit blustery at times.

Many of the usual HBBR subjects were there, including some old faces we haven't seen for a while.
One notable face was posted missing though, anyone seen or heard from our friend Wayne?

Here are a few snaps, see if you can recognise the boats.

Re: DCA Cobnor

It was an excellent 2 weeks for me, fun exercise and my back became stronger.

The highlight was completing the Hayling Challenge in MilliBee, with Chris W as crew. We completed it in 5 hours 59 minutes, going anti-clockwise leaving 2-3 hours after low tide. It was heavy going on the right side of the island, tacking against tide. We dropped the genoa when I got a bit tired, but some creamed rice pudding (!) gave me a boost. We realised she was getting nowhere so raised the Wayfarer Genoa again.

The new centerboard in MilliBee performs exceptionally well, providing lift and stability. I almost kept up with the Racing Mirror crews as they sailed up the channel to the race area, about 500m South of East Head. The Racing Mirrors have a full Bermudan rig.

One trip to East Head was amusing - make sure you get the tides right. Can you spot the mistake?

I calculated floating at about 6.30pm, so Al and myself went for a long walk for an ice cream then later to the Cafe. Al left at a sensible time, but it was getting dark when the water finally returned to MilliBee. That produced some stunning sunsets:

I had my "anchor" light on. A simple multi-smd LED that is normally super bright but takes 160ma. So I put a 270 Ohm resistor in series to drop the current to about 50ma. That reduced the load on the leisure battery but it was still bright enough.

It's great fun sailing in the dark - I only saw and met one boat from East Head back to Cobnor. You basically follow the flashing green marks down the channel. But the Navionics app on my tablet was a brilliant backup for the marks, showing my GPS position down the channel.

You just press Start and the screen automatically updates your speed over ground (SOG) and draws your direction as a red line. The line is excellent to ensure you are sailing right down the channel, more or less.

Here is a screenshot of my Track, shown in yellow, that it recorded hands-free.  I started at 19:47 and ended at 20:41, 1.1 Nm, an average of 1.3 kts and max speed of 4.2 kts.

Re: DCA Cobnor

FYI:
Cliff Martin (DCA) noticed the distance error in the Track 1 from East Head to Cobnor. Google shows it to be about 2.3Nm, not the 1.1Nm that Navionics claim. It submit a bug report to them. Perhaps losing GPS coords reset the distance half way.

Re: DCA Cobnor

The bug report to Navionics is "Case #00265856"

It looks to me that the app calculated my average speed wrong; and the error was calculating distance as: average speed x time in the summary.
That is:  1.25 * (53 mins) or 1.25 kn * 0.8833 hours = 1.1 Nm

The daft thing is the app recorded hundreds of GPS points. Just adding those points together gives a very accurate distance.

If you have Google Earth here is the .kmz file of my track:
Track_001.kmz

cheers Paul

Re: DCA Cobnor

What are you worried about Paulie?

That's close enough for the average programmer

Woe betide a user who doesn't get input

Absolutely correct, though

Scurrilous

Re: DCA Cobnor

'Twas a dark and stormy night; with Paulie at the helm

"Navs" he said to his phone; "Navs, give me a plot!"

And this is the plot that Navs gave -

'Twas a dark and stormy night; with Paulie at the helm

(We already know that)

"You're two cables from the rocks it said,

....or three miles further on"

Re: DCA Cobnor

Twas a dark time for the Navionics   team, who kept having drinks in 3 pubs in parallel.

They couldn't agree on miles, kilometres and the root mean square of gps speed times time.

Then enough embarrassing evidence flew through the ether to send them scurrying back to work on case #265856

So maybe one day they will arrive at the same brewery outlet, at the same time.