Forum Footers and Navigating Noble Marine Web Site

Forum Footers and Navigating Noble Marine Web Site

Ah Chris,

Chris Waite wrote
I don't think, Greg

That I'd know a 'forum link in the footer' if I was trampling one inside my slippers.  Perhaps you could do a computer generated cartoon for us cybilliterates?
Fear not, Chris! There's no risk that you're endangering anything lurking inside your slippers. My post was aimed at one of our number who are subscribed to the forum and respond to the emails that the forum generate via email.

Here's what the bottom of your post looks to those who get their forum posts via email...

Forum Footer
As you  see there is a link that takes you directly to the correct post in the forum.

The footer also contains the highly secret email address that I've partially blanked out which allows subscribers to post a new topic to the forum and not just reply to posts received via their subscription. There are further links that allows folk to remove their subscription and a highly technical link that's only of use to those who want to find out more about the language in which the forum is written - definitely one for geeks only.

...the other day I was talking to the Admin-o-Paul on the phone and describing the dinghy data base on the Noble Marine website.  There are a number of options in a row just under the main heading.
Like this...

Noble Marine Site
The Dinghy Database  is in a drop-down menu some way over to the right under Resources and every time I tried to drop the menu down, it obligingly appeared under Home the first option on the left.  It's doing it again today.
The only mysterious thing about it that I see is that Noble Marine decided not to show the site's branding banner  above the menu as it does on all other pages. (It does also require a wider screen to see all columns.) After selecting the "Dinghy Database" option it looks like this for me:

Noble Dinghy Database
You cannot get from Resources to Home without losing the appropriate drop-down menu and the will to live along with it.
Now you have lost me.

There is no such thing on the Noble site as a "Resources" page. It's merely a heading on the menu. (All the items across the whole menu system that include a down-arrow or down-left-arrow are mere labels and don't allow you access to anything. You'll see how the arrows turn red as your pointer hovers over them) All the individual Resources remain as accessible from the Dinghy Database screen as they are from any other page on the site, as seen when I hover my pointer over the Resources menu item...

Noble Marine Resources Menu
Given what you say Paul had to recommend at the time of your call, I can only assume that you did indeed visit the site at a time it was misbehaving. Certainly, it seems to be working fine right now!

Re: Forum Footers and Navigating Noble Marine Web Site

Greg, you really, really don't get it; as much as I wish, I wish - Oh, how I wish I could!

1.  I am aware that 'Resources', as with 'Noble Marine' and 'Insurance' are not web pages, but merely
'menu headings' (to use your indubitably correct terminology), each providing a drop down menu.

2.  I'd bet my bottom dollar that for you when you hover and the \/ arrow turns red, each menu drops obediently down beneath that menu heading - yes?

3.  Down here in my corner of the cybersludge when I hover, the arrow turns red and the drop down menu appears with each heading as you would expect....

But ONLY left aligned, NOT under its own heading.

The drop-down menu is sufficiently beamy to encroach on the 'Noble Marine' heading, so I can mouse down into that.  The other two - not a hope.

We all know how quick mice are, but no matter how instantly the mouse moves (this is making light of the matter Greg - a joke around the truth of what happens) from 'Insurance', or 'Resources' it cannot get to the left-aligned, drop-down menu which notices and vanishes like Alice's Cheshire cat

Leaving only a cyber-smirk behind

Chris W

Re: Forum Footers and Navigating Noble Marine Web Site

Chris Waite wrote
Greg, you really, really don't get it
2.  I'd bet my bottom dollar that for you when you hover and the \/ arrow turns red, each menu drops obediently down beneath that menu heading - yes?
Certainly!
3.  Down here in my corner of the cybersludge when I hover, the arrow turns red and the drop down menu appears with each heading as you would expect....

But ONLY left aligned, NOT under its own heading.

The drop-down menu is sufficiently beamy to encroach on the 'Noble Marine' heading, so I can mouse down into that.  The other two - not a hope.
In which case we (by which I probably mean Noble) needs to know what operating system and browser you are using to get that effect. It's working as you describe that you expect here, on all the devices and browsers I've tried.

It would, of course, be good if you could provide screen dumps to show the exact effect you get to make sure I understand what you see.

Re: Forum Footers and Navigating Noble Marine Web Site

OK Greg

I'm STILL running the same Windows Seven and Google through Internet Explorer and searching there for the Noble Marine site as when it used to work normally (and did as recently as last year).  As for a screen dump, I already have enough rubbish to deal with, never mind trying some other stunt.

It is really simple - I hover over 'Resources' and the drop down-menu appears in its usual form (Online Guides etc.), but left aligned immediately under 'Home', obscuring the left hand list - Quick Quotes, Dinghy Insurance, Yacht Insurance....    The same applies to the other two drop-down menus.

Chris

Re: Forum Footers and Navigating Noble Marine Web Site

Actually Greg

I've worked out a more simple method - I've taken a picture of the screen with a real live Kodak CD33 -

Chris

It has of course, reverted to putting the picture at the end of the message as far as I had written before I subtended this comment - see above.  Just for interest, I wrote the 'Chris' first, then scrolled down above it and left the cursor in the middle of the intervening three lines - it has put the picture after my initial signature as you can see.

C?

Re: Forum Footers and Navigating Noble Marine Web Site

Chris,

It's a compatibility bug in IE I think. You have an old version because you are on Windows 7. What version is it?

I always use Chrome on PC, phone and tablet and even remove IE on some machines.

Paul
inwe inwe

Re: Forum Footers and Navigating Noble Marine Web Site

Paul
It does it with 10 as well. Must be a Noble problem.

Richard

Re: Forum Footers and Navigating Noble Marine Web Site

Works fine on my Win10 (ex Win8) laptop in both Edge and Firefox, so I'm with Paul in saying it's more likely a compatibility mode setting that's inappropriate for those with problems.

Re: Forum Footers and Navigating Noble Marine Web Site

Hi Chris,

In the end I had worked out what you were trying to explain earlier, so the image just confirmed things, but thanks for uploading it.

In spite of inwe's protestations, it seems to me that there's not much wrong with the Noble site and I do believe it is more likely a case of inappropriate settings on the visitor's machines. (We're yet to learn what browser inwe is using and whether it could be something like Paul's suggestion.)
Chris Waite wrote
I've worked out a more simple method - I've taken a picture of the screen with a real live Kodak CD33
Simple? Surely it is simpler to do the traditional ALT-PRINTSCREEN (to copy the active window to the clipboard) then CTRL-V (to paste it into your preferred image editor) when you can then save it as a .jpg file and upload it.
It has of course, reverted to putting the picture at the end of the message as far as I had written before I subtended this comment - see above.  Just for interest, I wrote the 'Chris' first, then scrolled down above it and left the cursor in the middle of the intervening three lines - it has put the picture after my initial signature as you can see.
I have no idea why you cursor jumps about within Nabble - although it can be very easy to inadvertently move the cursor in the period between setting the upload going and the code appearing. The image code will always appear at the point where the cursor is when the code appears, not at the point where it was when you started the upload.

And, of course, you don't have to suffer keeping the image where the code appears. It's simple enough to cut (CTRL-X) and paste (CTRL-V) it to the location you intended it to go.

Bearing in mind that Microsoft ceased Win7 support on 13 January 2015, it could be time to consider replacing your kit with something that has an operating system that will get constantly updated to cope with new technologies. (While there's much I hated about Win10, causing me to switch to Linux Mint on my main machine, it does have some advantages for those who don't update their hardware that often.)

Re: Forum Footers and Navigating Noble Marine Web Site

inwe wrote
Paul
It does it with 10 as well. Must be a Noble problem.
Nope. The Noble Marine website works perfectly with Chrome on both Windows 10 and my Samsung 6 Android phone.

Which browser do you use Richard?

Cheers

Re: Forum Footers and Navigating Noble Marine Web Site

OK, you two cyberlords

If I want to ask about Windows 10 and demonstrate how to make simple things complicated....

Do I do it under this heading, or start a new topic?

I think I'd call it "Who Put the Ten in Tension?"

Chris W

Re: Forum Footers and Navigating Noble Marine Web Site

I felt guilty about putting the two unrelated items of Nabble's email footers and the Noble web site under one heading.

So I'd say if you were about to ask general questions about (dis)advantages of Win10 in general then start a new topic.