Free Boat! Get in Quick.

This came up on the DCA Facebook Page this evening.
Looks worth saving if anyone has the time and energy.

Free Cherub Dinghy.

Keep us posted if you go for it.

Graham.

LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: Free Boat! Get in Quick.

Launched the same year as me by the looks of things, not in bad condition either.
Steve
LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: Free Boat! Get in Quick.

Probably heresy to even contemplate it but would that hull shape work fitted out for rowing? What do our boat designers think?
Steve

Re: Free Boat! Get in Quick.

Difficult to say without seeing how it sits on the water but that wide transom looks as though it might drag you back quite a bit.

Re: Free Boat! Get in Quick.

It's actually pretty simple Steve

That is not meant to sound patronizing, but in principle, you can row anything that is big enough to float you and small enough to respond to the power of the crew - singlehanded oil tankers are out....

Most dinghies designed for sailing do not row well as they are too wide relative to their length and often not so light either.  The narrower and lighter the hull the better it will go.  The other thing is that they do not have much inherent directional stability, so they're better with a bit of board down and more important the rudder - fixed amidships if you're rowing with both hands, though there are refinements on this and it is possible to move a boat (and assist light weather sailing), with an oar over one side.  I am unable to get Watercraft's back copies to go beyond 2002 and later 'next' -

http://magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/Watercraft-2002, but the picture on the front cover of No. 133 (Jan/Feb 2019) shows exactly what I am talking about.

Quite how well a cherub will go under oar

Has to be a suck it and see

Sort of process

Chris

LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: Free Boat! Get in Quick.

I was just wondering if the flatter hull at the back to promote planing might drag a little when rowing. The Cherub is reasonably slim and lightweight but to survive this long that hull must be pretty strong as well.
Steve
Grldtnr Grldtnr

Re: Free Boat! Get in Quick.

Actually I remember seeing that cherub ,lying at the bottom of a heap of associated boating detritus ,down at Bell wharf, Leigh on Sea. Did think of hauling it out at the time, that's what quarter crate  of ale does to you ,if imbibed too quickly.
P.s my pockets were full,and the trike doesn't have a tow hitch!

Re: Free Boat! Get in Quick.

Ah that's why you cycle a recumbent trike, so you don't fall over when you've had a quarter crate of Ale. Good Thinking.

Sent from my Xperia by Sony smartphone

---- Grldtnr [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote ----

Actually I remember seeing that cherub ,lying at the bottom of a heap of associated boating detritus ,down at Bell wharf, Leigh on Sea. Did think of hauling it out at the time, that's what quarter crate  of ale does to you ,if imbibed too quickly.
P.s my pockets were full,and the trike doesn't have a tow hitch!

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Free-Boat-Get-in-Quick-tp4030926p4030937.html
To start a new topic under For Sale/Wanted/Recycling, email [hidden email]
LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: Free Boat! Get in Quick.

Still tempted but the 160 mile round trip to pick it up is an issue.
Any news on the Thames trip?
Regards
Steve