Gartside Riff

BrianP BrianP

Gartside Riff

I have a Gartside Riff hull that needs a new home. My sailing days are over and this lovely design built at the Lyme Boat Building School needs completion. She is 12' and will make a superb cruising dinghy when fitted out. Her dimensions are the same as the Cornish Cormorant but with a much lighter weight hull.

Centrecase is installed and centreboard built.

She will make a great winter project, with a huge amount of time saved. £200

I have a complete as new lug rig as well for £100

Brian
BarnacleBill BarnacleBill

Re: Gartside Riff

Hi Brian,
I may well be very interested in your Riff.
We are looking for a new Magazine boat and need something light and traditional.
where are you based?

cheers

Richard
BrianP BrianP

Re: Gartside Riff

Milford on Sea in the New Forest.

Brian
BarnacleBill BarnacleBill

Re: Gartside Riff

I am in Hexham, Northumberland - however, I suspect that I need to be in the south in early 2016 I could possibly collect round then.
I'll need to give the trailing logistics some thought - I have an old GP14 trailer that could work
do you have the plans for the fitting out etc?
BrianP BrianP

Re: Gartside Riff

Yes, I have the full Gartside plans set. They alone are $165, the plans are for strip plank, the Academy built it with clinker epoxy ply, so fit out would need to allow for that, but otherwise the same.

It will be a very beautiful boat when completed.

http://store.gartsideboats.com/products/12-ft-sailing-dinghy-riff-design-136

New year would be fine for me. The hull is so light I would imagine the GP14 trailer would be OK. In the pictures it is sitting on a SS trolley that was designed for a 14' Lymington Pram. Note that, at the moment, this expensive trolley is not included at the price!

Brian
BarnacleBill BarnacleBill

RE: Gartside Riff

That’s a bonny boat indeed. I was planning a build of a goat island skiff in the spring as I am looking for a lightweight classic dinghy, this, however looks like a better option.

Interestingly enough, I am currently working on an article on Shackleton’s boat The James Caird for the January issue of Barnacle Bill Magazine (www.barnaclebill.org) and am in discussion with the International Boat Building College at Lowestoff. One of the projects we are discussing with them for the new magazine is perhaps commissioning the build of a replica of Ransome’s ‘Swallow’

Whilst many of the boats we discuss in the magazine are ply built and often stitch and ply, we are also looking at doing an article on traditional boats built with ply and epoxy planking rather than strip planking. I’m quite keen to visit Paul Gartside sometime next year, I’m trying to get a boat builder into each month – they are somewhat scattered about the country! In January I am also off to Ullapool to visit Viking Boats.

We would certainly give the riff a good home, do a great job of finishing her and put her to use.  I am toying with the idea of planning a raid  - I was thinking the Jacobite Raid – a circumnavigation of the Isle of Skye.. We are likely to be going on the Texas 200 in 2016 and I need to think of a reciprocal event of interest over here to host the organisers of the T200

aye

Richard Palmer

Editor

Barnacle Bill Magazine

“for people who build and enjoy small boats”

Tel: (0044) 07939-848306

bb412 logo

Barnacle Bill Magazine is published by The Hexham Magazine Company

c/o 15 Quatre Bras, Hexham, Northumberland, NE46 3JY, UK

RE: Gartside Riff

Hi Brian, just to confirm, I’m planning on ideally popping down late January,

There is a possibility I might be using the Gartside in the Dorestadt Raid in September over in Holland

Aye

To unsubscribe from Gartside Riff, click here.
NAML

Avast logo

BrianP BrianP

RE: Gartside Riff

Late Jan will be fine for me. Thanks for letting me know.
Brian