Giving away some plans

John Lamb John Lamb

Giving away some plans

Hi all, it's been a long time since I visited the forum.

I have reached the age (71) where I don't anticipate building any more boats after the strip-plank canoe I have just started. Over the years I have purchased a lot of plans and never used most of them. So I was wondering about the ethics of just giving away the ones that have not had a boat built from them. It seems a shame to just burn them or store them in the loft where they will certainly be eaten by mice. So I would welcome some feedback, and if the consensus is that it is OK to give them away I will email a list to anybody who is interested. Just to give you an idea, I have unused plans by Paul Gartside, Selway Fisher, Joel White, Duck Trap and probably a few others.
Peter Nobes Peter Nobes

Re: Giving away some plans

Hi John

I think it is ethically sound to give them away. Buying the plans includes the right to build one boat, so if you haven't built one, someone else can.

I'm interested - please send me the list.

Thanks
Peter

Peter Nobes
Teacher of the Alexander Technique, London UK.  <a href="tel:020%207928%206378" value="+442079286378" target="_blank">020 7928 6378

My Blog: Zen for our Time

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 14:54, John Lamb [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all, it's been a long time since I visited the forum.

I have reached the age (71) where I don't anticipate building any more boats after the strip-plank canoe I have just started. Over the years I have purchased a lot of plans and never used most of them. So I was wondering about the ethics of just giving away the ones that have not had a boat built from them. It seems a shame to just burn them or store them in the loft where they will certainly be eaten by mice. So I would welcome some feedback, and if the consensus is that it is OK to give them away I will email a list to anybody who is interested. Just to give you an idea, I have unused plans by Paul Gartside, Selway Fisher, Joel White, Duck Trap and probably a few others.

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Giving-away-some-plans-tp4030976.html
To start a new topic under For Sale/Wanted/Recycling, email [hidden email]

Re: Giving away some plans

I'm not a lawyer, but my instinct is that you bought the licence to build one boat using the plans. If you have not exercised that licence you have the right to sell or gift that licence to someone else. If you had originally bought the plans as a gift for someone there would be no question that the person who received them from you would have the right to build the boat using those plans. I don't think the delay in passing on (selling) the plans is an issue.

But remember I'm not a lawyer and sometimes the law is not as logical as I think it should be!

More importantly you may be premature in assuming you won't build another boat. Can you be absolutely sure that in future years the itch will not start again? Maybe you should keep some (or all) just in case.

Tim

[...]

To start a new topic under For Sale/Wanted/Recycling, [hidden email]

John Lamb John Lamb

Re: Giving away some plans

Thanks for the replies. Emails are on the way. I have to just say that this will be on a first come first served basis, and I will also be asking for the cost of postage, probably around £3 or £4. I hope that's OK?
John Lamb John Lamb

Re: Giving away some plans

Hi all,
Thank you for your interest. I have to inform you that all the plans are now accounted for. Two to forum members, and the rest to a local boat builder who is running a training school.

Best regards
John