HBBR Thames Raid 2016

1234 ... 6

HBBR Thames Raid 2016

The Beale Park Boat Show is a tad earlier this year, June 3rd to 5th. So our traditional Sunday start will be 29th May 2016.

As I recall we have to:
1) Inform the Landlord and strike a deal on using slipway
2) Check all the 2015 camp-sites.   Is there a list?
3) Haggle with the Beale organisers for a parsimonious entry deal.
4) Do the tow car shuffle, book a mini-bus back from Beale on Sunday.

Is anybody entering the boat competition? It doesn't have to be a new build.

Are there any events that clash?

There will be excellent company and the Met Office have said there is a 90% chance of high pressure parked over the UK for the first week of "flaming June". Don't forget your suntan lotion.

thanks
Paul
Roger Wickham Roger Wickham

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Hello All, I'm new to this forum, indeed, I'm new to any kind of forum - so I hope I'm doing this right. I would be very interested in joining in with this years Beale Park raid, if you'll have me. I am a regular visitor to the Beale Park Boat Show and occasionally look at this forum to see what you guys are up to. I started building a 15 foot faering - Oughtred design Elf - about 7 years ago with my son, who has now fled the nest and lives abroad. I have recently re-started the building process - fitting out essentially, and this opportunity would be the catalyst to get me to finish the project and get on the water with it. I've been looking at buying a rowing rig from rowsurfer.com that has a fixed seat but moving outriggers and foot rests. These are usually fitted to surf boards or canoes, but I think the concept would work on a wider beamed boat. Does anyone have any experience with this idea?
With regards the raid, a start at Lechlade sounds perfect to me, but I would happily join in with anything else.
Roger
LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Hi Roger,
You would be very welcome on the trip, I think we are pretty certain about where we are going this year, it is just the starting point (or points) and the route (or routes)that is still open to debate. Do you have any pictures of your build?
Steve
inwe inwe

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Hi Roger. Having been through more than a bit of experience with an elf. Mine is now 17feet long, there is a story there. The thwarts in the elf support the daggerboard casing and you can't see the way you are going. I did the first thames raid in my elf. I'm taking it to Barton Turf in may if you want to see it. Iain's design for sweeps are quite long, I now use them in the Caledonian yawl. For the raid I made a pair of rear view mirrors. Had a lot of fun hitting the bank!!!! Even more trying to get into a lock. Do finish it the elf is quite lively.
Roger Wickham Roger Wickham

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Thanks for your replies Steve and Inwe. Just took these photo's of where I'm at re my elf. Rangs and breasthook blanks are glued up, ready to fit. The spars lying in the boat are from an old Mirror - I'll play around with them. I found some sails at a boat jumble to play with also. I'm not intending to fit a dagger board, but will create a leeboard, and see how that goes.
Well, I tried to insert images, not sure what happened - not too clever with technology           Elf
mikekillay mikekillay

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

The OGA have booked Lechlade for 26- 30th May, so the HBBR will be covered as far as camping and launching are concerned.
See you all there?
And at Beale the following weekend, don't forget to visit the OGA tent at Beale
Mike Stevens
OGA

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Mike,

Thanks - Sunday is our usual start day and some arrive on Saturday and camp overnight. The only problem is juggling space on the launch pad, which we do in a suitably disorganised way.

Some might start elsewhere and meet up.....its like herding cats

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Ah those blessed cats, they will not be herded nor will they do the Hoovering.

Alas I must tender my apologies for this years flotilla of fun.
A family celebration in Scotland requires my presence, if only to do dishes.

I have, somewhere, a full list of phone numbers for Locks, Camp Sites, Pubs, Mini Bus company, almost everything you could want to organise a Thames Raid.

If anyone wants to step up and volunteer as Cat Herder in Chief, I'd be happy to forward it.

Have fun.
Grum.

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Won't be the same without you!

On 3 Mar 2016, at 22:54, Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ah those blessed cats, they will not be herded nor will they do the Hoovering.

Alas I must tender my apologies for this years flotilla of fun.
A family celebration in Scotland requires my presence, if only to do dishes.

I have, somewhere, a full list of phone numbers for Locks, Camp Sites, Pubs, Mini Bus company, almost everything you could want to organise a Thames Raid.

If anyone wants to step up and volunteer as Cat Herder in Chief, I'd be happy to forward it.

Have fun.
Grum.

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/HBBR-Thames-Raid-2016-tp4029271p4029318.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

Chris Adeney Chris Adeney

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Unfortunatly I will not be going down the Thames this year as we have a family party in Germany but I plan to be back for the sunday of Beale Park. Chris A.
LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Hi,
I hope to be there, also decorating to earn credits, back to the paintbrush!
Steve
Saguenaysailor Saguenaysailor

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Hi, I am new to the HBBR but have built well over 20 boats over the last 45 years.  I am interested in joining the Thames Raid in my sailing canoe and would like to be kept up to date with arrangements if possible.
Thanks
Malcolm
LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Hi Malcolm,
You are very welcome to come along, new boats and faces are what helps to make they trip interesting every year. Careful though or you might just find yourself appointed chief disorganiser!
Any chance of a few photos of your canoe?
Thanks
Steve
Saguenaysailor Saguenaysailor

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Thanks for the welcome Steve.  Can't work out how to insert an image at the moment. Will work on it.

Malcolm

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Perhaps I should post this FAQ to this forum:

http://seahawk-forum.968426.n3.nabble.com/Inserting-Images-in-the-Forum-td1599211.html

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Oops! It's already here!

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Inserting-Images-in-the-Forum-td1593037.html
Saguenaysailor Saguenaysailor

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Here's a go at inserting a picture of my sailing canoe.

Malcolm

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Picture insertion successful!

She looks good, look forward to following her down the Thames.

Provided the mast is short enough (or easy to take down) to navigate the lower bridges you might get some good stretches of sailing in during the trip. Rig looks sufficiently effficient to take advantage of the fluky winds the Thames offers up in places.

Tim.

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/HBBR-Thames-Raid-2016-tp4029271p4029336.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Hi Malcolm,
Nice photo, more details please, what design is she, is that a Solway Dory rig?
How does she go to windward?
BTW I also use Craftinsure for my Coot. I also have a canoe so I'm member of Canoe England which gives you free third party public liability, as well as a licence for The Thames & The Broads amongst other places.
Graham
Saguenaysailor Saguenaysailor

Re: HBBR Thames Raid 2016

Thanks for the comments Tim and Graham. The design is my own and it is a Solway Dory rig, although I shall be taking a small lugsail on the Thames.  My question regarding insurance is to do with a possible dinghy project not the sailing canoe as I am already a member of British Canoeing as I also paddle a sea kayak.

Malcolm
1234 ... 6