Havant 10 (Nov 2015)

My daughter Michelle is considering the Havant 10 mile running race starting 10am Sunday 29th November 2015.....mainly as she could follow us as we sail around Hayling Island. She prefers to run organised events as they are safer. She estimates a running time of 1:40, so its all over by mid-day.

On that day high tide at Itchenor is approx 01:07 and 13:25, low tides at 06:49 and 19:12

This could be a possible day/weekend sail for seaworthy craft (sail boat or rowing gig). Non-seaworthy craft could head for Emsworth for cream teas!  However the water will be very cold and there is no safety boat.

The Race is around the south West tip of Hayling Island, so we don't have to circumnavigate and could stick to Langstone Habour/Emsworth.

Chris P - is a HBBR gig viable?

Anybody interested or is it a mad idea?!

-Paul

Race link:  http://www.havantac.co.uk/hayling-10/

Re: Havant 10 (Nov 2015)

Sorry not to have responded before, Paul - only just noticed the request at the bottom of the page...
The weather can be surprisingly good at that time of year, with many crisp, still, cloudless, windless days that are brilliant for rowing or paddling. Not so good for sailing, though.
One of the brilliant things about the area is that there is always a Plan B. If it is too rough to go out in the Channel you can stay in the harbour. If it too rough to go out at all, you can go to any one of a tremendous number of great pubs.
We could do a DCA style rally, launching at Bedhampton or Warblington perhaps though the best option may be Langstone where we could coordinate with Langstone Cutters. The limitation there is that the slipway only has access to the water two hours either side of high water.
Another place might be the Ferryboat Inn at Langstone Harbour mouth, which would be best if the weather is good enough to go out into the Channel. Unfortunately it is right next to the harbour master's office and a new one has just arrived who is very keen on collecting harbour dues.

Re: Havant 10 (Nov 2015)

Thanks Chris,

Plan B should plan A - stay in the harbour/pub unless the sea and winds are friendly.

Presumably we can sort things out later in the year, but a row in the colder months is excellent because you get warm and stay warm. Also it gives you a "fix" in case you have withdrawal symptoms after pre-maturely wrapping your boat up in September.

Could we make it a weekend event somehow? That might justify the journey for those that live further afield.