How to Create a Link to another Message on the Forum

How to Create a Link to another Message on the Forum

NOTE: The techniques outlined below require a lot of switching of web pages, so it's worthwhile knowing that in Windows a "wheel-click" opens a link in a new tab, rather than replacing the contents of the current tab with the new page. Having a number of tabs open makes switching between pages that are to be the target of links and embeddings so much simpler! If you just left-click links then you are likely to lose anything you type on a page by the time you return to it!

If you know you will want to link to an existing topic then, before starting the message...

1. Visit the page you wish to link to - such as this one:

The Page to be linked

2. Highlight the URL in the Address Bar

Highlighted URL

3. Hit CTRL+C (or use whatever method you find easiest to copy a selection to the clipboard)

4. Switch to message you are writing where the link is to appear

5. Select the word or words you wish to form a link

6. Click the LINK button at the top of the EDIT box

Link Button

7. In the box that appears on the greyed out window (Don't remove the selection on the existing "http://") hit CTRL-V (or your preferred method for pasting clipboard content) to replace the current selection with the full URL you placed on the clipboard.

The Link dialogue

Job Done!

Re: How to Create a Link to another Message on the Forum

OK Greg

Today I sat down, happy as Larry, to update 'Evolving Polly Wee' with some stuff on the Pedyuloh, which I wanted to link to the Forward-looking CCTV for rowing topic in the Technical/Eco Forum.

".... just pop the URL into the box."  Oh yes?  My URL now seems to be generic:

'e' (as in Windows Internet Explorer, not 'N' for Nabble):      http://www.ukhbbr.plus.com/forum.html

This remains constant regardless of where on the site you happen to be; it does not identify, the forum, the topic, or the message and of course it doesn't work.

Just how much fun can one prelectrolyte tolerate while wading through the shambolic, mindless morass of cyberspace?

And as well; today the Nabble site won't open up a window for me to upload pictures

Chris

Re: How to Create a Link to another Message on the Forum

Oh and while those two aspects continue to confuse

I can't open Chris Partridge's You Tube clip of Rosie Mae under pedyuloh, as I have not downloaded the latest Adobe Flash Player; so I downloaded the latest Adobe Flash Player and guess what?

I can't open Chris Partridge's You Tube clip of Rosie Mae under pedyuloh, as I have not downloaded the latest Adobe Flash Player.

And next, rather as I thought, to upload the video of Octavia under pedyuloh onto You Tube, I have to join You Tube.  Let me guess, joining You Tube requires opening a Facebook account?

Or perhaps Twitter?

Chris

Re: How to Create a Link to another Message on the Forum

Chris Waite wrote
Today I sat down, happy as Larry, to update 'Evolving Polly Wee' with some stuff on the Pedyuloh, which I wanted to link to the Forward-looking CCTV for rowing topic in the Technical/Eco Forum.

".... just pop the URL into the box."  Oh yes?  My URL now seems to be generic:

'e' (as in Windows Internet Explorer, not 'N' for Nabble):      http://www.ukhbbr.plus.com/forum.html
That started to happen once Paul embedded the forum in in a "wrapper" site with the additional menu leading to other pages (which are still to be completed).

You now need to access the the "Permalink", i.e. the link to the Nabble page itself rather than the page on the wrapper site that holds the forum.

Step 2 in my instructions should now read:

2. Click the "Permalink" link towards the top right on any forum page.

You could also right-click over any link that points to the Nabble page in question, and pick the appropriate option from the menu that appears in your browser. e.g:

Internet Explorer: Copy shortcut
FireFox: Copy link location
Chrome: Copy link address

And as well; today the Nabble site won't open up a window for me to upload pictures
I must pass on that one. It's working for me on the three browsers I have installed here.

Re: How to Create a Link to another Message on the Forum

Chris Waite wrote
I can't open Chris Partridge's You Tube clip of Rosie Mae under pedyuloh, as I have not downloaded the latest Adobe Flash Player.
You mean the one referred to in Forward-looking CCTV for rowing topic?

(And that link was done by finding the message in question, clicking the "More" link and selecting "Permalink" from the menu, copying the URL and then using the "Link" button as I write this message and pasting it there.)
And next, rather as I thought, to upload the video of Octavia under pedyuloh onto You Tube, I have to join You Tube.  Let me guess, joining You Tube requires opening a Facebook account?

Or perhaps Twitter?
Neither. Just use the "Sign In" link on any YouTube page and if you don't have an account use the "Create an account" button. Why do you make everything seem so complicated?

Re: How to Create a Link to another Message on the Forum

Ah Greg!

It's those ever-moving goal-posts again;  PERMALINK, Eh?

If I go to Tescos for a litre of milk, I don't have to 'open an account' with them.  However, almost every on-line organization from the chandlers I used for the boat, to eBay and Amazon and Yahoo, oh and You Tube of course, will not deal with you unless you sign up and leave your personal information splattered all over cyberspace.  You cannot download from Spotify without signing up to Facebook for instance.

I do not want my personal information out there, to be cookied to a cyber standstill, or to be sunk by spam, or to have a small army of passwords I'm meant to change regularly and remember without writing them down.  And you tell me I'm the one making things complicated?

You know it makes sense

Chris

Re: How to Create a Link to another Message on the Forum

Chris Waite wrote
If I go to Tescos for a litre of milk, I don't have to 'open an account' with them.  However, almost every on-line organization from the chandlers I used for the boat, to eBay and Amazon and Yahoo, oh and You Tube of course, will not deal with you unless you sign up and leave your personal information splattered all over cyberspace.  You cannot download from Spotify without signing up to Facebook for instance.

I do not want my personal information out there, to be cookied to a cyber standstill, or to be sunk by spam, or to have a small army of passwords I'm meant to change regularly and remember without writing them down.
For what it's worth, Chris, I'm very strongly with you on this.  I value privacy and find the open spying and collation of personal data that is rampant in this digital age deeply offensive.

My tactic has been to either refuse to sign up to data mining companies like Facebook, et al, or to use a disposable email address and a false name etc to sign in to something for which I can find no real alternative.  Even then I find my primary email address has been uncovered by those intent on ensuring that I have a permanent priapism..............

Re: How to Create a Link to another Message on the Forum

You mean: http://www.youtube.com/embed/F7pYHN9iC9I

No spoof!

Re: How to Create a Link to another Message on the Forum

Chris Waite wrote
I do not want my personal information out there, to be cookied to a cyber standstill, or to be sunk by spam, or to have a small army of passwords I'm meant to change regularly and remember without writing them down.
Just go with the flow Chris...when we all go Ga-Ga and forget that today is Sunday and wake up on a train to Lands End those nice people in white clothes can send us back home.

-Paul

PS: Is it really Tuesday?
PPS: I'm a 17 stone hairy biker called Mary.......it's the best cover you can have to avoid spam.

Re: How to Create a Link to another Message on the Forum

Well Greg

I am now trying to join jolly You Tube, to upload one video....

One video....

And guess what, it's apparently run by Google, where I created an account in 2005 for travel abroad....

But because I don't use it, they've frozen it....

So I cannot 'create' another one....

Because they cannot cope with my 'other' e-address....

Apart from that they do recognize who I am....

I can tell, because they know WE still have a Yahoo account....

One with my Honey, which we've been trying very hard to shut down, itself a joke....

Have you ever tried to disentangle yourself from one of these sprawling, mirocephalic, press-button monsters?

The password for OUR Yahoo site does not work....

I have a separate Yahoo address, which I am obliged to hold to access the DCA Solent site....

Which it will not accept....

Three useless Google controlled e-addresses....

How many hours being bombarded by invitations to join, but unable to sign in to available accounts?

And you have the infernal cheek to tell me that I SEEM to be making it complicated?

Ever considered getting real?

Chris

Pissed off?  Just a tad

Re: How to Create a Link to another Message on the Forum

Hi Chris,

On 13 Dec 12 18:17 "Chris Waite [via UK HBBR Forum]"
<[hidden email]> said:
> And you have the infernal cheek to tell me that I SEEM to be making
> it complicated?
>
> Ever considered getting real?

Is "real" actively maintaining 21 email accounts? (I poll each for new
mail every 20 minutes while my computer is turned on.)

I think your trouble is that you don't operate the way the service
suppliers expect you to or their T&Cs demand. No wonder you get in
trouble.

When I abandon an email address, and I have abandoned a number of
accounts over the years, then I simply never use them again. There is
no point in using an address from a fee supplier haphazardly or half
heartedly and no point in trying to re-activate an inaccessible
account in the way you describe.

And if you genuinely have forgotten or an account's password has
become corrupted, you should abandon that too, create a new one, write
to everyone who might have used the old one and henceforth forget it
ever existed. You are describing a nightmare situation of trying to
breath life into the undead.

You have to realise that email addresses are not connected to
real-world presence like your one and only snail mail address. They
are not important or irreplaceable. They are utterly disposable. Only
keep them while they are useful. Forget them when they go wrong and be
prepared to create a new one any time it suits you.

In short, I have no sympathy with the madness you inflict upon
yourself. I know that sounds harsh, but it reminds me of a tale one of
my students once told me...

She was a very competent, middle aged lady, who had been head of a
very large typing pool some years before. She and a young girl from
her pool were being sent on the same word processing course. She
regarded the young girl as a complete bimbo and airhead and had little
expectation that she would come away from the course having learnt
anything.

However, by the end of the day it was clear that the young girl had
absorbed everything needed and had emerged as a passable word
processort operator. She, on the other hand, confessed to being
completely drained and demoralised, and no further forward than in the
minute that she had entered the training room.

Reflecting on the experience to me, she described a situation where
she was used to several shades of bank paper with two or three carbon
papers between, physical trays in which to put various copies and
filing cabinets where they were placed. Nothing in her experience in
the typing pool related to what was going on in the classroom. Every
time she asked a question, her model of how producing a document,
printing it, filing copies, etc, just fell apart. There were no
comparisions in the processes involved in word processing.

All I could do was say something that I had learn when training as an
adult education tutor. Youngsters have no experience, so what they are
told is absorbed into their empty heads. Learning for them is natual
and easy. However, everything that an adult learns has to fit in with
their existing model of the world, contained in their heads. Most new
things are mere extensions of existing knowledge and don't distrupt an
adult's model of the way the world works. Such things are learned
easily and quickly. However, sometimes something is introduced that
completely and utterly disrupts the existing model of the way things
work. In my student's case that thing was the word processor.

Now 20 years after my student's experience, I think you are suffering
in the same way with computers and the Internet. They simply don't fit
the model that's in your head of how things should work. It seems you
do the equivalent of picking up a screwdriver to remove a nail,
because while you are used to extracting screws you haven't ever used
a hammer and have no idea what a suitable tool to extract a nail looks
like.

I am lucky, I started with computers relatively early and the context
in which I took to them didn't disrupt my model of how machinery
works. You, it seems, are struggling and you have quite a lot to knock
down in your head before you can re-build a revised model of this part
of the world.

Greg Chapman
http://www.gregafloat.plus.com
A Boating Biography
http://www.seahawk17.plus.com
Celebrating the SeaHawk!

Re: How to Create a Link to another Message on the Forum

Ooooh, Gregory!

Twenty-one e-addresses every twenty minutes, over sixty checks an hour….

I never realized you were in such demand

Chris

Re: How to Create a Link to another Message on the Forum

Hi Chris,

On 14 Dec 12 20:10 "Chris Waite [via UK HBBR Forum]"
<[hidden email]> said:
> Twenty-one e-addresses every twenty minutes, over sixty checks an
> hourÂ….
>
> I never realized you were in such demand

It's not showing off about how popular I am.

I only receive mail on some of them around once a year and others once
a month.

It's down to the mail software I use.  It only allows me to set a
frequency of check. I need it that frequently for a small handful of
accounts used regularly for different purposes, but others are there
either because I must poll them every 90 days to keep the web space
that come with them alive. I know if I exclude them from the check
I'll only forget to check them when the 90 days is due.

Greg Chapman
http://www.gregafloat.plus.com
A Boating Biography
http://www.seahawk17.plus.com
Celebrating the SeaHawk!

Re: How to Create a Link to another Message on the Forum

I know you weren't showing off Greg

I was pulling your leg.  Little voices, some of which are not in my head, are suggesting we shut this down

So we'll continue to agree to disagree, yes?

Chris

Re: How to Create a Link to another Message on the Forum

Hi Chris,

On 16 Dec 12 11:07 "Chris Waite [via UK HBBR Forum]"
<[hidden email]> said:
> So we'll continue to agree to disagree, yes?

Sure! The last from me on this one!