Impromtu Meetings

12
Randonneur Randonneur

Impromtu Meetings

Three rivers and two canals

Adrian and myself managed to squeeze in another impromtu hbbr meeting on Wednesday.
Afer a grey start it turned out to be a fine and pleasant day.
Once again there was Lekker Ding and PP forging our way between 2 fine pubs!

The 12 mile round trip was between The Fromebridge Inn (on R Frome) and The George Inn (on R Cam) via River Frome, Stroudwater canal, Gloucester Sharpness canal, River Cam and a sneak along Wicksters Brook. The Timothy Taylor's Landlord at The George,  and Darkstar, American Pale Ale at Fromebridge were both excellent!

http://youtu.be/RLjfRi7si-Y

The rivers Cam and Frome were absolutely beautiful with a portage of about 20 metres between the Frome and the Stroudwater canal  leading to a nose rubbing low bridge... Not for the squeamish.
We didn't go too far up Wicksters brook because I didn't fancy back paddling for too long to get out again.
As it was I needed a 27 point turn with PP's stern and stem both stuck in the reeds on the river bank.

The George has an attached campsite so those with canoe's may find it an attractive place to while away a weekend.

I'll be doing the Frome again as it's only a stone's throw away and so far my favourite location.
Did I mention there's a good pub there??
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27533969@N05/sets/72157635475193796/

One River and no pubs
Today Adrian was tied up with boat maintenace so it was just PP on the river Avon and a short 8 miles on the reach between Strensham and Nafford.
I'd considered portaging the weir at Nafford, but the EA have built the portage point only feet away from the edge of the very fast running weir. What could possibly go wrong??

http://youtu.be/h5QhGx-LvGs

More impromptu HBBR meets to follow soon
Chris Adeney Chris Adeney

Re: Impromtu Meetings

Just read about your trips and they sound really good. If you're planning any more I be keen to join you especially as they are all within a few miles of where I live. Being semi retired now I have time to play during the week! Chris A.
Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Impromtu Meetings

Re: Impromtu Meetings

Nice green water you have over there.

CW and I took a trip out to enjoy the sunshine the other day.

Apologies for the non PC Plastic. Full story here.

http://port-na-storm.blogspot.co.uk/
Chris Adeney Chris Adeney

Re: Impromtu Meetings

I liked the photos you have just posted. It helped the morning surgery to pass more quickly! Roll on retirement. How many more days have you got Chris? Looking forward to next summer. Chris A.

Re: Impromtu Meetings

That is a good question Chris!

In April, I applied for an 'application form' for a pension forecast and holding onto the note that indicated it would take nearly ten weeks, sent it off.  After the allotted time, I started asking where it had got to....

Six weeks after the ten weeks, sixteen in all, I eventually received an e-mail saying that it had never been received and could I resubmit? (That meant I would get the information not eight months, but eight weeks before retirement).

I have to tell you I was so impressed that I threw a massive 'Gordon Ramsay' and walked out.  I have since been on paid sick leave, due to "Stress at work", which is due to expire this very Solstice, my sixty-fifth birthday.  So rather than realize that every employee in the NHS would really like to know how much pension they're going to get and make retirement as simple as the State Pension has been, (a government letter of reminder, one free phone call and submit a marriage certificate - returned in three days), the management of our health service have chosen otherwise.

They would prefer you to fill in the last two parts of three almost identical sections on the NHS pension application form and submit it, not more than three months in advance.  The first part has then to be completed by your 'payroll' office who are already aware of all the information, as they have, by all accounts, been paying you since you joined up.  They would also prefer to pay sick leave and a stand in, rather than improve their disastrous system.

Anyone still wondering why our National Health Service is falling apart?

Callous ineptitude

CW

Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Impromtu Meetings

Chris Adeney wrote
I liked the photos you have just posted. It helped the morning surgery to pass more quickly!
Chris A.
Any chance you have local knowledge of the launch point at Hanley Castle?
http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePoints.aspx?PaddlePointId=293

I've looked on Google Street view but can't read the signs which may suggest that there is restricted car parking.

There's a possibility that I will be able to check it out myself this Saturday if I can get to The Three Kings beer festival.

Pete

Re: Impromtu Meetings

Now that looks like a very handy website.

Grum.
Chris Adeney Chris Adeney

Re: Impromtu Meetings

There  is a launch site near the Three Kings in Hanley Castle but it is very steap and oftain a bit muddy. It might be better to launch at Upton. Perhaps see you at the Three Kings. When are you going? The beer was very good last night but with 32 beers on tap I have a few more to go! Chris A.
Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Impromtu Meetings

Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Impromtu Meetings

These guys are good at not organising events, just like HBBR!

50+ at yesterday's Dudley tunnel meet.

PP made the silver screen. A brilliant day out and thankful of the helping hands at two of the very canoe unfriendly portages....

Re: Impromtu Meetings

That looks awesome - would MilliBee fit? (6ft 2in, electric outboard)

If she does then so would the rest of us. Who is up for it?
Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Impromtu Meetings

Paul,
Yes everyone would fit through OK.
There are a few issues to resolve.
You need to arrange a passage (of the Dudley tunnel) with the canal trust. It is not normally open for small personal craft and even narrow boats required the escort of the electric tug. Definitely no IC engines!
We had to start at 0900 before the first tripper boats started running. We also threw in £10 a head for the canal trust charity as a mark of good will. They really appreciated that :-)
It looks like this may become an annual pilgrimage as it was so well attended.
The next problem is launching. I'm not sure where there is a slipway on that part of the canal although I'm sure a quick Google will find one. The circular route with the 2 long tunnels, took us about 5.5 hours with a long stop for lunch plus portage of 4 locks and a portage from Dudley canal to the Birmingham canal. To do this in Millibee you' d need to lock down and then take a longer route to  lock back up to the Birmingham canal. Saying that, it would all be dependant on where that slipway is.
A final drawback. Goose s**t.  If you thought Mapledurham was bad you should see the inside of Pam now....

You need good lights. The Dudley tunnel is not straight so you don't get to see the pin prick of light at the end until you've gone about 1.5 miles.

On 1 Dec 2013 23:03, "Paul (admin) [via UK HBBR Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
That looks awesome - would MilliBee fit? (6ft 2in, electric outboard)

If she does then so would the rest of us. Who is up for it?

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Impromtu-Meetings-tp4026883p4027043.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

Re: Impromtu Meetings

Pete,

The nearest slipway I can find so far is here

It's 7.5 miles away walking along the towpath - 2 hours even with a smokey motor but that's too far for a same day start. But if a few of us did an overnight-er it could work. There might be other unofficial belonging to the numerous engineering companies in Brum, probably needs a reccy to find them.

Lighting is no problem. I have a good LED anchor light in development complete with Fresnel lens to focus the light horizontally.

So it all depends on the level of interest - what do you think chaps?

Re: Impromptu Meetings

Sounds fun to me. If dates work I'm in.

Tim.

On 2 Dec 2013, at 17:45, Paul (admin) [via UK HBBR Forum] <ml-node+s967333n4027045h8@n3.nabble.com> wrote:

> Pete,
>
> The nearest slipway I can find so far is here
>
> It's 7.5 miles away walking along the towpath - 2 hours even with a smokey motor but that's too far for a same day start. But if a few of us did an overnight-er it could work. There might be other unofficial belonging to the numerous engineering companies in Brum, probably needs a reccy to find them.
>
> Lighting is no problem. I have a good LED anchor light in development complete with Fresnel lens to focus the light horizontally.
>
> So it all depends on the level of interest - what do you think chaps?
>
> -Paul
> http://www.millibee.com

> http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Impromtu-Meetings-tp4026883p4027045.html
> To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email ml-node+s967333n1581180h93@n3.nabble.com
> To unsubscribe from UK HBBR Forum, click here.
> NAML

Re: Impromtu Meetings

What goes, bump - bugger,  bump - bugger,  bump- bugger?

A rower in a tunnel.

At last a trip designed for those who face forward.

Dark, Damp, Goose Shit, Mmmmmmmmmmmm sounds just like an HBBR rally.
At least we won't have to worry about the weather.

So that's a resounding, well maybe ask us nearer the time, from Katie and Me.
Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Impromtu Meetings

Port-Na-Storm wrote
At last a trip designed for those who face forward.
Which means you can achieve some high speeds like this!

Re: Impromtu Meetings

I'll try and work out the route MilliBee should take (Google Earth is useful) - maybe Pete can help.

I work in Brum so I can reccy the route when the evenings get lighter. Late spring might be a good time for the trip. MilliBee can be the sweeper to offer a tow in case a paddle decides to part company with its owner.

Finally there is another use for the xmas fairy lights.

Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Impromtu Meetings

Paul (admin) wrote
I'll try and work out the route MilliBee should take (Google Earth is useful) - maybe Pete can help.
It's quite straight forward. I'll add the connecting detail to this circular tunnel tour when I get a few minutes spare.

http://www.mapmywalk.com/routes/view/332598089

Pete
Randonneur Randonneur

HNY

Well a New Year beckons and it's time to reflect on the last paddle of the year.
After a white and icy start, we were blessed with splendid weather on Sunday to allow Adrian, my sister and me to check out the full navigable length of Wickster's Brook.
I drew the short straw and ended up with the scaffold pole paddles...

Head of navigation and a long back paddle to find a turning spot!

A paddle to the George Inn for lunch and then off home in the last of the daylight.

Now back to the workshop...

HNY all.

Pete
12