Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

Locked 56 messages Options
123
mike160304 mike160304

Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

I have all kinds of problems on Openboat, SFD, DWF Forums that are Yahoo, BUT:

When I go into e.g. Openboat I see immediately the latest few messages, and I can read the first few words of them. I can then click on one to reply, or click on See All to go further down.

When I go into HBBR on Nabble, I have to do a lot more work to get to the same level of update.

Regards,
Mike

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

Mike

Just click on Topics View

You will see all replies sorted in time order, starting with the latest.

Cheers
Paul
mike160304 mike160304

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

Thanks Paul, but if I hit Topics View and click on Epoxy and Polyurethane, Random Jottings, it takes me to the first message in the thread?

Mike
mike160304 mike160304

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

Ah, got it now I think, I have to click on the time of the latest message, on the right.
mike160304 mike160304

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

I still like the way Yahoo shows the first few words of each message in the message list.

I use this to establish a sub-title, to avoid changing my main title, like this:

Main title is Epoxy and Polyurethane etc, sub-title is Does Water Go through Epoxy???

Regards,
Mike

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

Mike,

I'm glad you found your way around. Regarding the first lines I'll see if that's possible.

BTW: I have changed the entire forum to "Narrow" and selected the "Mobile" option so that it displays better on smartphones and tablets with small screens. I've noticed the text is a good size, but the buttons are very small on my Samsung Mini 3.

-Paul
mike160304 mike160304

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

Thanks Paul!
Mike

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

In my view going to Narrow is a waste of time. All it does is remove a couple of useful columns. It also seems to centre the title and description which destroys the point of the carefully crafted header image.

If you want quotes from posts try the Board and Category apps, but these have other side effects that may be undesirable.

No problem here with buttons in portrait mode on Galaxy S3 Mini

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

GregHBBR wrote
It also seems to centre the title and description which destroys the point of the carefully crafted header image.
Now I'm home and on my main computer I see that it's been a deliberate decision to centre the Title and Description fields on the forum.

If nothing else, Paul, do change both back to right aligned as the header image was specifically designed to show the white text clearly on a plain blue background and not be half obscured by the header image.

If you really think it looks better with centred text then please get rid of the image all together as it only obscures the text.

(It is also probably the right time to edit the text on the home page to remove the link to "UK HBBR web site" as that has not been maintained for a number of years now.)

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

Greg,

Fear not - sanity has been restored.

I made the change to see if:
 1) Anybody noticed
 2) Display on smaller devices improved

I could not see much benefit on small devices.

The umbilical cord to the old WordPress forum has been cut also.

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

Paulie

I see the number of 'Views' has disappeared, to be left by a larger empty space in the middle.  I assume that's because I have a bigger screen on my walk-away-from lappy than those who have tablet-o-phones to avoid being even momentarily separated from cyberspace?

Greg

Looking at this layout which I understand is based on what you produced originally, I am mightily impressed.  The logical clarity really is outstanding and it makes Yahoo look like a dustbin full of discarded polychromatic cross-words

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

Chris Waite wrote
I see the number of 'Views' has disappeared, to be left by a larger empty space in the middle.  I assume that's because I have a bigger screen on my walk-away-from lappy than those who have tablet-o-phones to avoid being even momentarily separated from cyberspace?
In fact, both "Views" and "Replies" are still there, but are moved to be under the Subject. Like you, whether on my Tablet or phone, I find it just leaves empty space to the right and there seems little benefit in what Nabble calls the "Narrow" format. I'd suggest a return to "Wide".
Looking at this layout which I understand is based on what you produced originally, I am mightily impressed.  The logical clarity really is outstanding and it makes Yahoo look like a dustbin full of discarded polychromatic cross-words
In Nabble jargon what we have at the moment is called the "Mixed" application. Nabble also offers "Board" and "Category" apps that would add what Mike would like to see - short quotes from recent posts (the first 270 characters)  and the description text for any sub-forums/areas within the current area.

I don't think either would destroy the clarity you like and would add what Mike would like to see. I have a preference for the "Category" app where there are multiple levels of sub-forums, but as, on the HBBR forum, no sub-forums have further sub-forums within them, I suspect that "Board" would be the better option.

There are other side effects/benefits. They both remove the problem Mike identified with the multiple "New Topic" links. You have to visit the appropriate sub-forum before you find a "New Topic" link.
While, as a Moderator, I do have access to make these changes, as It's Paul's forum, I don't like to for fear I'd get my additional rights removed.

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

I suggest we trial new user interfaces on the prototype DCA Solent forum that Chris and myself have dabbled with.

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

Sounds a reasonable plan, but don't forget you need a fair amount of "real" content on a forum to get proper sense of how it will work when it is being used in earnest those who just want to chat about boating rather than those who are keen to explore the possibilities of the technology.

It may be better just to switch to Category or Board here for a week and then ask for feedback. It's only a couple of clicks to put it back again to the way it is now and you lose none of the content (the important bit!). You just change the presentation.

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

Paulie

How can I ask you to stop fiddling while you're ahead?  Try and imagine what it's like for us old farts to be hanging on to the present arrangement by our fingernails and you keep changing the order and hiding things.  Remember Albert and Antoine, the Astute 'A's - Simplicity is Supreme

No more complicated, snooky, little changes

There's a good Cyberlord

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

This post was updated on .
Its all settled down now. No more changes needed as it is pretty much the same as HBBR forum..except for the DCA photo on title page that I temporarily hosted on my personal website that gets used for MilliBee.

So it's ready for some testing.

Paul

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

Here is the prototype DCA Solent forum:

http://dca-solent.1112708.n5.nabble.com/

It's locked down so that nobody can see anything unless they Register. When Registered users who try to post will be blocked and need to be approved by an Administrator.

However I get an email when somebody Registers and if their email address is safe I immediately upgrade them to Member status.

If their email is obviously spam or computer generated and not in the UK e.g. nvjopdw44@hotmail.com I immediately Nuke them and ban their email address. We have to run a tight ship otherwise it all capsizes.

RE: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

Paul, there's something wrong. I'm not registered for the DCA,NABBLE forum never mind an administrator and I can edit the HTML on my phone from my cyber eyrie here in Costa.
Permissions?
Grum.

It's locked down so that nobody can see anything unless they Register. When Registered users who try to post will be blocked and need to be approved by an Administrator.

However I get an email when somebody Registers and if their email address is safe I immediately upgrade them to Member status.

If their email is obviously spam or computer generated and not in the UK e.g. [hidden email] I immediately Nuke them and ban their email address. We have to run a tight ship otherwise it all capsizes.

-Paul
Sail when you can, motor when you can't http://www.millibee.com

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Is-Nabble-better-than-Yahoo-tp4028246p4028289.html
To start a new topic under Forum Ideas/Issues, email [hidden email]

RE: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

Grum,

American smooth yes?  Your browser can view the code and fiddle with it, but no way can you save it to the forum.

The bottom line is that only Members can post, view and reply to topics.....go on I dare you.

Re: Is Nabble better than Yahoo?

I think you’ll find an American Smooth is a fancy dance, sort of a foxtrot with cartwheels.
Do not ask how I know this.

Sent from Windows Mail

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Is-Nabble-better-than-Yahoo-tp4028246p4028292.html