Jig saw blade for cutting Plywood

andre andre

Jig saw blade for cutting Plywood

       Some years back there was a jig saw blade reviewed in Watercraft (it might even have been the Boatman ! )   which due to its (if I recollect correctly) teeth settings was found to be the best for cutting ply easily without damaging it .

     Can anyone give me the name of this blade , or recommend any blades they have found best with cutting sheets of 4mm to 6mm ply ; as well as blades for cutting 9mm to 12mm ply.

    The 3-6mm ply cuts will be long and straight.

    The 9-12mm cuts will be curved (canoe frames )

   Standard Black and Decker  handheld jig saw

Re: Jig saw blade for cutting Plywood

The blades that were reviewed, if I remember correctly, were Bosch Progressor blades. They have a variable tooth pattern and they do work well.

Tim.

On 9 Apr 2013, at 04:31, andre [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

       Some years back there was a jig saw blade reviewed in Watercraft (it might even have been the Boatman ! )   which due to its (if I recollect correctly) teeth settings was found to be the best for cutting ply easily without damaging it .

pete@watercraft-magazine.com pete@watercraft-magazine.com

Re: Jig saw blade for cutting Plywood

Don't know Tim's Bosch blades. The blades I reviewed in Water Craft came from L S Starrett and are particularly useful when cutting thin 3-6mm ply. No breakout but noticeably slower than conventional blades when used on thicker ply. See the Starrett ad on p6 of the current issue or www.starrett.co.uk

Pete G
David Bewick David Bewick

Re: Jig saw blade for cutting Plywood

I use the Starrett blades for cutting plywood with my Bosch jigsaw and I think they are superb.  They are available online.

David.
andre andre

Re: Jig saw blade for cutting Plywood

 Thanks for such prompt comment and replies.

  I ordered online a few minutes ago.

  Here is the link if anyone else needs it.

  http://www.starrett.co.uk/shop/jigsaws/dualcut/

 Rgds,  Andre

Re: Jig saw blade for cutting Plywood

I have a Bosch Professional jig-saw that came with 20 assorted Bosch blades.

It's an excellent jig-saw and with the correct blade it gives a very good finish - also one of the pendulum settings gives a cleaner cut on some materials.

One useful trick is to coat the top side with epoxy before cutting. The epoxy holds the wood grain together for a much cleaner cut on the upstroke.

-Paul
Alan Alan

Re: Jig saw blade for cutting Plywood

Here is a mini review for anyone interested in buying a cordless jigsaw.
My old jigsaw failed so I got a nice cordless jigsaw for my birthday last year. I'm pretty much stuck with Bosch due to having plenty of batteries for use in the CCC, so I chose a GST18V-Li at £120 post free from FFX Tools. It has a quick tool-free blade change mechanism, and a worklight and the usual pendulum control. It is very smooth and free from vibration in use and the best compliment I can pay is that I don't notice anything about it when using it; it just works exactly as it should, maybe a tiny bit slower than a mains jigsaw.

andre andre

Re: Jig saw blade for cutting Plywood

   Starret were very prompt in sending the blades .(arrived within a couple of days )

   It was only yesterday that I got to use them .

   Best jigsaw blades I have ever used.

   Cut several panels of 6 mm WBP ply - all 1200 lengths -and perfectly straight cuts with no ply breakout
   and all edges sharp and square.

   Also did several cuts 1200mm long of three pieces of ply clamped together -again a perfect cut.