Joel White Shearwater Skiff

Re: Joel White Shearwater Skiff

Any chance of some advert details that don't require a Facebook account?  The advert is unfortunately not visible unless I agree to open an account with them, something I suspect I'm not alone in not being willing to do.

Re: Joel White Shearwater Skiff

I'm not very good with social media and failed to find a way of getting a better link or of making content available outside the FB group.

I'll invite Val to post here, or I can forward emails to her.

In the meantime I think I can manage to copy her pictures.
Shearwater skiff picture

Done it!
She wants £4000, complete with "two oars, rudder, tiller, cover, very good combi trailer". The boat is close to Barton Turf.

Simon

Re: Joel White Shearwater Skiff

Thanks Simon, that's yet another temptation.  I think I'm beginning to develop a double ender fetish; first Inwe, and now this lovely Shearwater.

I really am going to have to get rid of a couple of boats soon, as I don't think I can continue to resist this urge much longer................

Re: Joel White Shearwater Skiff

Contact email is nevilleandval@gmail.com

and Val says the price is negotiable!

Simon

Re: Joel White Shearwater Skiff

Asking price now reduced to £3500

Simon

Re: Joel White Shearwater Skiff

Now £3250

Simon

Re: Joel White Shearwater Skiff

What is this fetish about double enders? If you don’t have to beach your boat in a howling winter gale in the Shetlands, all the pointy back end does is make it impossible to reach the rudder if it gets damaged or unhooked, and necessitate an unfeasibly long tiller that is unwieldy to use and prone to breaking.
But they are soooooo pretty.....
inwe inwe

Re: Joel White Shearwater Skiff

You sound soooo jealous Chris. A) you would not be out in a Shetland winter gale! 120mph winds! B0 The correct name is Shetland singular not the Shetlands. Ask any Shetlander.

Richard

Re: Joel White Shearwater Skiff

Hi Richard,
inwe wrote
The correct name is Shetland singular not the Shetlands. Ask any Shetlander.
Mmm! I think you missed the "The" in Chris' "The Shetlands". That strikes me as a correct contraction of the "The Shetland Isles", i.e. a reference to the many individual islands in Shetland. However, I do accept that had Chris wrote "winter gale in Shetlands" that would have been wrong as the area as a whole, the islands and surrounding waters, should have been referred to as "Shetland".

Of course, you could argue that as Chris was talking about beaching an individual boat on an individual island that it was incorrect to refer to all the islands in that sentence. On the other hand some might judge that Chris was making a general point about landing any boat on any of the islands in Shetland in winter gales so the reference to all the individual islands was appropriate.

Isn't language wonderful and the possibility of getting one's exact thoughts across so fraught with difficulties.

Greg
(Ever pedantic and often wrong! )
inwe inwe

Re: Joel White Shearwater Skiff

Well Greg
You said it often wrong. The isles are known by their individual names and the collective known as Shetland. It has always been, ever since it was owned by Norway, a fact that Shetlanders are very proud of. Do not ,for instance try to call them Scots especially in a bar!

Richard

Re: Joel White Shearwater Skiff

And definitely do not refer to them as Scotch, which as any fool knows is a drink. Could one perhaps refer to the Shetlanders as Scottish, meaning like the Scots but not quite the same. Definitely gui quair folk.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

---- inwe [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote ----

Well Greg
You said it often wrong. The isles are known by their individual names and the collective known as Shetland. It has always been, ever since it was owned by Norway, a fact that Shetlanders are very proud of. Do not ,for instance try to call them Scots especially in a bar!

Richard

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Joel-White-Shearwater-Skiff-tp4030225p4030410.html
To start a new topic under For Sale/Wanted/Recycling, email [hidden email]