Last Chance To Buy A Mini-Transat In Support Of Sail 4 Cancer

Last Chance To Buy A Mini-Transat In Support Of Sail 4 Cancer

(Reproduced from Scuttlebutt Europe)

A 6.5 metre Dudley Dix designed 'Mini-Transat' style yacht is being sold to raise funds for Sail 4 Cancer. Originally for sale at a price of £7,500 the price has been slashed to just £4,500 because the boatyard space is needed for another project. The reduced price is intended to push through a quick sale before the end of February.

The boat, which was built as a self-build project in 2013 is being brokered in support of Sail 4 Cancer by Boatshed Hamble. The boat is being sold with all new deckgear from Harken, unused sails from Crusader and Z Spars Aluminium mast spars (2013) with stainless steel standing rigging.
The Dudley Dix Mini is a radius chine plywood design which has received rave reviews both within the United States and Europe. With a fin keel and a round bilge (from sheet material), the design is marketed as a 'low budget performer'.

Whilst the hull needs some work before she can be re-floated, the deck gear, mast and sails are brand spanking new and have never been used. This project would ideally suit someone with a passion for wooden boats who will enjoy the process of finishing this boat to a high standard.
Interested parties should contact Peter Delbridge at Boatshed Hamble on 07710 224 754. Photos of the yacht can be viewed at tinyurl.com/dudley-dix-mini  More information on the design and class can be found at www.dixdesign.com/didimini.htm
Ratcatcherjohn Ratcatcherjohn

Re: Last Chance To Buy A Mini-Transat In Support Of Sail 4 Cancer

Re: Last Chance To Buy A Mini-Transat In Support Of Sail 4 Cancer

simplesimon wrote
The boat, which was built as a self-build project in 2013
Either time travels faster than I thought, or they're not worried about the RCD or if it counts as half built at the time you sell it then it doesn't count as a boat until you launch it and the buyer will still count as the builder and not have to worry about the RCD?

Re: Last Chance To Buy A Mini-Transat In Support Of Sail 4 Cancer

I would guess that, like 99% of home boat builders, they are using a liberal interpretation of "entered into service" in order to get around the incredibly daft rules on resale in the RCD.

Every man and his dog knows that the 5 year rule has nothing whatsoever to do with safety (and the RCD is a safety directive), so this 5 year rule was purely a consequence of industry trying to impose restrictions on self-builders, in order to try and skew the market in their favour.

In my view it needs a stiff ignoring, like an awful lot of other daft and restrictive rules that emanate from the EU.

Re: Last Chance To Buy A Mini-Transat In Support Of Sail 4 Cancer

It's a "racing boat" therefore exempt?

Re: Last Chance To Buy A Mini-Transat In Support Of Sail 4 Cancer

Yes I think so Simon.  Racing boats have their own set of rules - and racing is intrinsically dangerous.

Gizzle Gizzle

Re: Last Chance To Buy A Mini-Transat In Support Of Sail 4 Cancer

If I didn't already have "too many boats"* I would be very tempted although a thorough inspection of the build quality would be needed.  There is a lot of decent quality gear on that boat.

Compared to the price of a production built Pogo, even the older ones, this is a bargain.  That said the pictures show a rather rough and ready finish.

*this is a term my wife uses but I am yet to get a definition from her that we agree on.