Lastminute.com Thames rally THIS WEEKEND

Lastminute.com Thames rally THIS WEEKEND

This post was updated on .
Anybody fancy a last-minute weekend cruise on the Thames on Saturday/Sunday 8/9 October?
Venue: Ferryman Inn, Bablock Hythe (near Witney, west of Oxford). The pub is not a beauteous building but has both of the things we need, viz a campsite, a slipway and beer in the evening SORRY all three things we need...
The cost to camp is a reasonable £10 a night. They also do B&B which I may avail myself of as my new tent had to go back to Tesco with a faulty zip.
The idea is to turn up on Friday or first thing Saturday, cruise in one direction until lunchtime, then cruise back again. On Sunday, we will cruise in the other direction.
We have to leave on Sunday evening because the landlord is going on holiday.
The weather forecast is surprisingly clement but the Met Office has not been doing very well lately.
Anyone up for this?

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally NEXT WEEKEND

Yes me please,
I am currently in Scotland looking after various crumblies and have been given special dispensation to go off and play with my chums next weekend.
Yee and indeed Ha!
Graham.

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally NEXT WEEKEND

And me too! Will bring folding canoe, well suited to bidirectional pottering and it hasn't had a run out for a while. 1 tent, two nights.

Tim.

On 2 Oct 2016, at 19:54, Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes me please,
I am currently in Scotland looking after various crumblies and have been given special dispensation to go off and play with my chums next weekend.
Yee and indeed Ha!
Graham.

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Lastminute-com-Thames-rally-NEXT-WEEKEND-tp4029649p4029650.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally NEXT WEEKEND

I would love to have joined you. Unfortunately I can't get tthe time off wo** :-)
Have fun
PP

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 8:03 AM, Timmo [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
And me too! Will bring folding canoe, well suited to bidirectional pottering and it hasn't had a run out for a while. 1 tent, two nights.

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally NEXT WEEKEND

You could come down Saturday morning, Pete. Don't suppose we will be up absolutely first thing...

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally THIS WEEKEND

I'll be there! - will appreciate the usual help launching/recovery.

One supply chain logistics problem is I don't have a working electric drive yet, so if no favourable wind I'll have to use the 2-stroke on tickover and keep downwind of everyone etc.
However, Amazon say they can do next day delivery.......

-Paul
inwe inwe

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally THIS WEEKEND

I'll Come if I may, I'll bring the red devil ( kayak ).

Richard
inwe inwe

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally THIS WEEKEND

Has anyone actually booked their place at the campsite or do we just turn up.

Richard

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally THIS WEEKEND

I will speak to the landlord today to ensure we have enough camping spaces. If you want to go B&B I would ring him and book (he says he gets a lot of people coming in at 10.30 and demanding accommodation). The number is 01865 880028.

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally THIS WEEKEND

The Ferryman is expecting five happy campers on Friday afternoon, staying until Sunday afternoon. There are more spaces available and B&B if anyone else wants an impulse weekend on the river. The forecast still looks good!
inwe inwe

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally THIS WEEKEND

Paul,
Did you want to borrow my Torquedo, The battery is full at the moment.

Richard

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally THIS WEEKEND

inwe wrote
Did you want to borrow my Torquedo, The battery is full at the moment.
Wow. Xmas comes early - yes please.  I had not planned on planning down the Thames at 10 knots, but you only live once. Just kidding.

How does it recharge? I have 2 caravan type extension leads plus 3-pin adaptors each end, we might be able to blag an outdoor socket from the Landlord.

inwe inwe

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally THIS WEEKEND

I have a) charge lead for the car as well as a mains charger. Will bring it all.

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally THIS WEEKEND

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally THIS WEEKEND

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally THIS WEEKEND

Many thanks to Chris P for organising this impromptu rally.
A good time was had by all.
Here are a few more scary photos.

inwe inwe

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally THIS WEEKEND

May I add my thanks to Chris for this weekend. Even cheaper than first thought.
And again next year. Learnt a lot. Thanks guys.

Richard

*Thanks Graham !!!!

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally THIS WEEKEND

And my thanks as well.

More photos, all from day two...

The skies on the way back were spectacular...

Re: Lastminute.com Thames rally THIS WEEKEND

Yes a great shout Chris and we caught the best of the weather - remember it was October!

The launch of MilliBee reminded me of the Golden Shot - left a bit, right a bit, release! This time she really did roll off quickly.

Thanks to Chris, Richard, Graham and Tim for recovery. With concrete one side and a large bush the other she had to be gently motored in with Richard's Torquedo, right up to the rear roller. I had planned to move forward to connect the winch strap, but the chaps were onto it like an Formula 1 team....no more than a 25 second pit-stop .

A special thanks to Richard for loaning his Torquedo - quite a powerful beast, ideal as a rib tender to get to one's yacht against wind and tide.

It's an ideal location, easy for anyone with a tiny canoe up to a pocket yacht/Wayfarer. Potter around or explore some distance.

-Paul