Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

12345

Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

Righto people,
The months are fairly whizzing past and already we are discussing what to do in 2015 without one single HBBR event being organised for 2014.
So in anticipation of the great whizzo jamboree that will be the Beale Park Boat Show 2014, I'm organising yet another trip from Lechlade to Beale.  If others want to go on down stream and swing round the great ring of Oxon or whatever, then please carry on and organise your respective bits.

I am planning to be at The Trout at Lechlade on the Saturday 31st May and set off down-stream on Sunday. This coincides with the old gaffer's weekend at the Trout so we should be in good company.

Arrival at Beale will either be late Friday afternoon or Saturday. This adds approx two days to the time we have previously taken, which is quite deliberate. We'll sort out stopovers nearer the time but they are likely to be very similar to those  we've used before.

I'll arrange things with the Old Gaffers at Lechlade, and try to sweet talk the new Organisers at Beale.
Right now I need some idea of the level of interest.
So stop lurking, eavesdropping, and being generally non-committal and shout out now.

Who's up for it?

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

Count me in. Not sure which boat though....looking forward to exploring the stopovers.

With the extra time WAGs may want to join on certain days. I know Dilys would love a walk along the toe path.

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

"Shout out" grotesquely

And a lottamus

CeeDub
LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

Yes please, probably racing my Laser Saturday so will arrive Sunday morning.
Steve

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

Regretfully not the early part, but may catch up by Friday evening. Will watch for stopover info and let you know if I can make it.

Tim.

On 6 Apr 2014, at 15:18, Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Lechlade-to-Beale-Park-2014-tp4027474.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

AdrianG AdrianG

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

I'm there, dude!
Peter Nobes Peter Nobes

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

I'll join in, but probably not for the entire week.

On 7 April 2014 19:29, AdrianG [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm there, dude!

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Lechlade-to-Beale-Park-2014-tp4027474p4027487.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

Peter Nobes
Teacher of the Alexander Technique
London UK
www.alexandertech.co.uk
www.facebook.com/AlexanderTechniqueLondon

www.youtube.com/ZenForOurTime

South Bank Alexander Centre
www.AlexanderCentre.co.uk
020 7928 6378
Chris Adeney Chris Adeney

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

Sounds good. Count me in as by then I should be an almost retired Doctor.Can we arrange the weather as I am a bit fedup with the strong head winds and rain we have had the last couple of times? I like the idea of a gentle drift down the Thames with warm sun and a light following wind! Chris A.
Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

Lovely weather, just the thing to get you looking forward to those balmy days of June.

I'm just thinking out loud at this stage, but I've been considering the itinerary for this years' Raid.
The consensus seems to be that a leisurely trip is preferred, which of course means it has to be a day or two longer and that means finding more places to stop. As Timmo will tell you there aren't many options but there are a few worth considering.
There will be at least six people sleeping ashore and there are a few undeclared yet who might bump the numbers up.

First off, I'm wondering about making the first day quite short, leaving Lechlade around Sunday lunchtime and stopping at The Swan at Radcot, for the night. This is our usual lunchtime stop so it should only take three hours or so, an easy start.

Quote; "The Swan dates from the late 17th century and stands on the banks of the Thames. It comprises a small, neat front bar with a log fire, and a restaurant to the rear. There are permanent and visitor boat moorings and camping for tents and caravans on the island. Open from 8am for breakfast."

We could then move on to Shifford Lock our usual Monday stop, which of course will now be a much shorter journey.

Then on to Eynsham Lock at Swinford where we've stayed on the Island before.

It would be good to be able to shorten the next leg as its a long haul down to Abingdon. There aren't many options but one outside possibility would be the Sea Scouts in Oxford. They say Youth Groups only and I doubt if any of us would qualify, but they might be persuaded. Does anyone have any contacts or other ideas?

Any suggestions or comments gratefully received.

Grum, (I'm not organising this you understand)

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

Nice thinking Graham. Wish I was able to be on that trip.

I did look at the Sea Scout place at Oxford out once. It's right by the busy Donnington road bridge in a relatively low rent suburban/industrial area on the edge of Oxford. Not an attractive stop, but definitely in a good place, no real alternatives nearby unless anyone has connections with an Oxford University College with a boathouse along that stretch somewhere who could be persuaded to allow the group to stop there. Probably worth someone checking the Sea Scout place out (may have improved since I saw it.) Noise wise we encountered worse at Marlow!

Tim.

On 16 Apr 2014, at 20:02, Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Lechlade-to-Beale-Park-2014-tp4027474p4027504.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

John P John P

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

Just to let you know that Josephine and myself will have to miss the HBBR trip and Beale park this year but we wish you all the best for the Thames trip. We have now 'signed up' for an alternative event, a cruise in company from Quiberon to the islands of Belle Isle and Houatt off the coast of south Brittany, this taking place over three days, 7th to 9th June, so unfortunately it clashes with Beale Park. There is also a cruise in company planned for the River Vilaine, not far from Quiberon. That event ends a few days before the Quiberon cruise starts, so, being retired, we have had thoughts of doing both these events.

 I don't think that the Quiberon event has been publicized on the internet but if anyone here is interested I can send them the information I have been given. I think numbers for the event are limited but there may still be places available. The event is for traditional looking sail and oar boats, so I suspect that our own boat barely qualifies, hope we don't spoil the photos too much!  - John
pete@watercraft-magazine.com pete@watercraft-magazine.com

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

John

With some nice hi-res pictures, this would make a good story for Water Craft!

Pete

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

May Day! gosh look at the calendar, only a month till The Thames raid.

I have now managed to tie down this trip at both ends.
After many bounced e-mails and answer-phones have finally managed to speak to David Read of StatelySolutions.co.uk who is taking over the running of the Beale Park Show, and he is happy for us to sneak across the lake when no-one is looking.
He admits he hasn't quite got his head round the various comings and goings on the lake but will be speaking to Gillie tomorrow who will no doubt put him straight.
At least we now know there will be some boats at Beale this year.

I've also e-mailed Mike Steven of the OGA Trailer Section to warn him we might crash the party at The Trout at Lechlade the previous week-end and he's happy with that.

So all we need to do now fellow voyagers is sort out the bits in the middle.

Now as I've said before, I'm not organising this you know, really, so can I have a volunteer to suss out The Swan at Radcot Bridge who profess to have a camp site and see if we can stop there Sunday 1st June?

Rough Itinerary is;
Sunday, Radcot,
Monday  Shifford
Tuesday Einsham.
Then it gets a bit fuzzy.
Possibly Oxford or Abingdon
and there's a camp site next to the bridge in Wallingford I need to sort out.

So far officially signed up for this trip;
Chris Waite, Paradox Pete, Adrian Gingel, Graham Neil, Paul Hadley, Mermaid Steve, Chris Adney.  with guest appearances from Tim'O and Peter Nobes, and new member Philip Hoath is considering joining us.  Ratcatcher has sent his apologies but will have them lined up in the beer tent when we get there.

Now are there any more of you lurking out there who are planning to come?
Speak to me boys.

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

Sadly, I won't be able to be there this year, but I hope to make the Show on the Saturday.
Have a great time, guys!

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

Sorry to hear you won't be joining us Chris, it just won't seem the same.
Still hey ho.
For the others who plan to come, after the avalanche of volunteers offering to contact the Swan at Radcot (not) I did it myself. So I've spoken to a nice lady who says we can just turn up and pitch on the island or in their field. There are out-house "facilities" available and they will only charge us seven quid per tent. Excellent.

So that's Sunday night sorted.
I'll contact Shifford (Monday) and Eynesham (Tuesday) next week.
I've managed to track down a contact for the Riverside Park in Wallingford, which is currently closed for the off-season.  Its just above the bridge on the left-hand side convenient for all facilities and the Town Centre as they say. Even has a leisure centre/swimming pool so I'll let you know how that goes.

That still leaves a bit of a hole in the middle which can be plugged by our usual stop in Abingdon.
Always open to any suggestions, I'm still not sodding-well organising this you know!

I remain as always your obedient servant.
Grum

AdrianG AdrianG

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

Awesome organisation, Grum. Many thanks for doing that. One of us would have cracked eventually. Probably.

On the plus side, think of all the beers your friends will buy you, in appreciation of all the hard work you've done in not organising this event.

BTW, out of curiosity, what craft will you be voyaging in this year?

Kind regards
Adrian

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

Adrian, your appreciation is duly noted.
You will be given full opportunity to show this further in the bar of The Swan.
In return I can put you near the top of the list for the key to the latrines at any given stop.

Currently life's complexities mean I am not entirely certain which boat I will be bringing, the reasons for which I cannot give for fear of divulging information of a personal nature pertaining to others, but I would anticipate there is currently a more than 75% chance Katie Beardie will be making an appearance.

Which of your beautiful vessels will you be travelling in?

Looking forward to halcyon days of warm sunshine and gentle following breezes.
Hope springs eternal etc.

I will be asking shortly for ideas on vehicle transfer etc.
Cheers Grum.

Re: Lechlade to Beale Park 2014

I have a new best friend.
Jez, duty manager at Abbey Sports Centre is dealing with the bookings for Riverside Park in Wallingford, and he says we can camp, next to the river, complete with moorings for a couple of small boats. There will be toilets and showers available, and we only have to slip him a few sovereigns.
The site is just across the bridge from the Hot Spots of Wallingford which if memory serves has both a Waitrose and a Costa, so has to be fairly up-market don't you know.
All of the above subject to contract, which I will deal with.

Next;
The Lechlade - Beale Park Car shuffle.
Some of you with willing wives may not need to move cars (I will).
Who needs help and who can offer any?
There aren't so many of us this year so maybe we can manage between us rather than hiring a mini bus, what do you think?

Waits for deafening silence .................tumbleweed rolls across the screen.
12345