Losing formatting when posting

Martin Corrick Martin Corrick

Losing formatting when posting

I've written a post for 'Introduce yourself' but the formatting disappears in the preview - I mean things like tabs and line spaces - so I just get a great big block of text.

It seems that one can't write a post offline (in .doc format) and then paste it in, which is what I tried to do... The system works all right when I type straight in, and a picture went in too.

Cheers,

Martin

Re: Losing formatting when posting

Martin Corrick wrote
It seems that one can't write a post offline (in .doc format)
Good gracious me! I should think not! This is a web page you're writing not a WORD document.

The edit box expects plain text, unless you check the "Message is in HTML Format" box, when - surprise, surprise, it will accept... HTML!

If you want to write off-line, then prepare your text in NOTEPAD, then your text will paste into the edit box beautifully. (That's the simple version. For a slightly more technical answer, see Nabble Help.)

If you don't want to log into the web site, you could also send you post by email (Notes on how to do that are in the FAQs Section) and if you normally send HTML mail it should keep its formatting when it arrives on the forum.

However, I'd recommend that you avoid using any special formatting for your message. It will look horribly ostentatious and stand out like a sore thumb. Plain text is quickest, simplest and best.
Martin Corrick Martin Corrick

Re: Losing formatting when posting

Blimey Greg, you keep late hours... Many thanks for that.

I wasn't using anything fancy, only line spaces, but they didn't carry over. I suppose Notepad is Microsoft software, which I don't have, but I expect there is a way for me to write in HTML with my Linux system. I don't particularly want to use email. I will investigate further.

I was writing something for 'Introduce yourself' and it got a bit rambling and long, so I switched it into my word-processor so I could chop it about more easily. And so I could save a copy in case I could make further use of it. Having been a writer for many years, I always have an eye on the future potential of anything I write. Sad, I know, but there you go...

Martin

Re: Losing formatting when posting

Martin Corrick wrote
Blimey Greg, you keep late hours... Many thanks for that.
True, I was up a bit late last night. Not sure that I was totally compis mentis. When I awoke this morning I did wonder if my response had come across as a bit sarcastic. Apologies, if it did.
I wasn't using anything fancy, only line spaces, but they didn't carry over. I suppose Notepad is Microsoft software
Indeed, it is the bundled text editor with Windows. Saying you were using .doc format meant I made the assumption anyone working in that is Windows based. (I work in OpenOffice Writer and unless mailing my document to anyone else stick with ODF format.)
which I don't have
but every Linux distro that I know of has a thousand assorted plain text editors, from which you can choose, though many, it's true, are optimised for writing program code. Use which ever one suits you best.
I expect there is a way for me to write in HTML with my Linux system.
The expectation is that you'll write the raw code as I am doing here inserting the
<quote>...</quote>
tags round your text after clicking the "Quote original" button above the edit box.
I don't particularly want to use email. I will investigate further.
I only suggested that on the assumption that you were a Windows user and used to Outlook Express, which defaults to HTML. Your Linux based email client may do the same, but hopefully doesn't! :-)
I switched it into my word-processor so I could chop it about more easily. And so I could save a copy in case I could make further use of it. Having been a writer for many years, I always have an eye on the future potential of anything I write. Sad, I know, but there you go...
Not sad at all. I have vast quantities of old material stored here. I know the feeling.

Re: Losing formatting when posting

Martin,

Which version of Linux are you running? If you can't find a suitable text editor I can ask a few people at work for recommendations.

Don't forget to keep things simple - multiple pictures across the page look great on a big monitor, but the HTML formatting can go pear shaped on a narrow window.

Standard practice for blogs is a medium sized picture with text above or below. I agree Greg, a simple text editor is sufficient.

You could try creating a plain text email and store it as a Draft, then copy/paste to the forum. It might work well.

Martin Corrick Martin Corrick

Re: Losing formatting when posting

Gosh, the newbie gets a lot of help on this forum! Thanks, Paul...

I have Ubuntu 10.04 with a standard set of applications including OpenOffice. I know nothing about text editors and would appreciate a recommendation.

Martin

Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Losing formatting when posting

Ubuntu distributions have gedit as the default text editor.

You should find it pre installed in your accessories folder.

Pete
Martin Corrick Martin Corrick

Re: Losing formatting when posting

Pete - thanks very much! I have now posted a piece in 'Introduce yourself' which seems to have workedpretty well.

I copied the word-processed document into gedit, got it straight and then copied it over to the forum. The picture is OK and even the hyperlinks seem to be working, which is great.

Many thanks to all for your help!

Martin