Microyachts

Microyacht Microyacht

Microyachts

Hi, I'm Steve, recently moved to Nottinghamshire after living most of my life near the Essex coast and rivers. I'm the webmaster/owner of the Around in Ten group. Have spent many years designing enclosed miniature sailing boats and turning many of them in to scale RC Models.

I recently sent this email to Paul:

Hi Paul. Thanks for your reply and the info on yr Elusion. Pity.

After 5 to 6 years, I'm still looking for "That" ideal design for the Around in Ten Challenge, not that I think that I would take on the whole event. My personal challenge would be a "Dash" from Falmouth to Madeira! The boat has to be enclosed but able to open up when the sea is calm and the sun is shining. I've made many models of my Puffin and although everyone sailed well, I'm still not sure. I like all of Matt's boats because of their shallow draft combined with chine runners. They are all light in weight yet very strong.

All the "Old" designers say that a boat for the ocean MUST have a deep, long keel load with 40% or more of ballast (Lead!). A 10ft boat built in that way with sufficient beam and depth to give a good payload for essential supplies (FOOD and Water) will travel at 1 to 2 knots! Crossing an ocean is a worry but also worrying about running out of food due to the many months at sea would be a nightmare.

Lately I've been watching videos of Paradox and other of Matt's designs under way in heavy weather and really surprised how well they sail, remembering they have flat bottoms, no keel, chine runners and not a lot of ballast!  I was considering a stretched to 10ft  Elusion with a solid but removable cabin top. Did Matt produce plans for the boat? Or did you proportion the measurements from sketches or photos?

I've just retired and technically have a lot more time! Haa . . . . . BUT some days I could work almost full time in between other jobs around the house. I used the HULLS program to produced all the offsets for my various versions of Puffin. It may come in useful yet again!

Bye for now

Steve

http://www.calvertonweather.co.uk
http://www.aroundinten.org

Re: Microyachts

Welcome aboard Steve.

Personally I found 10ft a bit short and slow, the Paradox is a better size for the sea. Don't forget Matt sailed Elusion around the Florida coast not far from the shore, slipping over shallow corals to shortcut a longer leg that a more traditional boat would have to take. Also there were several miles of portage, which needed the lightest, shortest hull possible which could well be a compromise for the sea. At the time of building Illusion the true displacement of Elusion was unknown* and I have an inkling he had a water ballast system (perfect for portage as you can empty it). With Illusion I calculated that 60kg of water ballast was possible with a false horizontal floor creating one long tank.

As for a solid cover, the problem is the boom gets a bit high which in turn needs more ballast. And if you are forced to row a cover becomes an impossible barrier, so paddle/yuloh is your only option - add in the British weather and she will soon start to fill up like a bath tub. A Paradox being larger has a drain/bilge system I think.... but it doesn't rain much in Florida!

Also don't overlook a simple leeboard - it worked fine on Illusion.

*Searching around the displacement of Elusion now seems to be ~360lbs or 163kg. That's roughly 75kg bloke plus 60kg ballast plus 25kg hull.

Food for thought.

Microyacht Microyacht

Re: Microyachts

This post was updated on .
Hi Paul,

Yes, ten foot is small until you look at: Sven Yrvind's AiT Boat I think the beam is 6ft and bottom of hull to top of cabin the same! What with half a ton of ballast I think his total displacement is about a ton! When Harley, Beau and Nick came up with their plan to beat the "Smallest" world record they checked the record books and the smallest reduction on the record holder's boat. Serge Testa is the man to beat, who in 1987 completed his circumnavigation in 500 days in his 11ft 10in boat named Acrohc Australis! The record keepers won't accept like only 1" less for a new record and although that would still give you the record, it was thought that something in the 10ft range would be more acceptable. So, probably, some silly s*d said, "Yeh lets make it ten foot"!

Although the race never happened, the support boat "VAL" and her owner Nick Dwyer set sail on their own circumnavigation but decided what's the point in sailing all that way to paradise and then coming back. I kept in contact with nick via radio and spoke to him from places like the Panama Canal, Galapagos Islands, Marquesas, many Polynesian Islands including Tahiti and Tonga and finally onto Fiji where he has bee for the past few years. As a matter of interest, Nick said that at no time did he think the voyage would have bee that difficult for a suitably equipped enclosed 10ft boat. There again, a month earlier or a month later might have been totally different.

For my own boat and my target of Madeira, I'm now thinking more in terms of a shallower, flattish bottomed boat possibly with chine runners, plus leeboard (if there's any windward gain), which is why I was asking about your copy of Matt's Elusion. Did you plot the offsets using HULLS program?

Bye for now

Steve