And you'll be finished before me, despite starting years later!
Vivier's kits are an engineering marvel. Suggest you read ALL the instructions before assembling. On the Ilur I found several places where a page referred to battens having fitted earlier when there had been no mention of them before. All solvable,
but would have been easier if I'd read ahead better.
Can get a real sense of satisfaction when you turn her over and see how much of the interior is already in place.
On 12 Oct 2018, at 20:31, Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I wish to formally and solemnly declare that I have started another build.
I have purchased a kit for a Francois Vivier Morbic 12 from Alec Jordan.
This will come as no surprise to anyone who has heard me prattling on about building one for the past few years.
The Kit is extremely comprehensive and includes the building frame as well as all the plywood parts.
Its great to see some activity on the forum, I was beginning to give up hope.
It seems to be true confession time so I'll admit progress on the Morbic 12 has been non existent for the best part of this year. I've been far too busy goofing off and enjoying myself.
The the pile of bits shown previously has somehow managed to turn it's-self into a three dimensional hull shape, but that's as far as things have got.
I managed to punch a hole in the bottom of Katie Beardie on the way to the Thames Raid this year, thankfully Roger was at hand with a big role of Gaffer Tape and we made it to the end without getting the sandwiches wet.
I hadn't got round to fixing her when I decided to have a day sail in The Heron in Chichester Harbour to review the DCA fleet. I noticed there was a bit of water in her when launched, and by the time I was half way to East Head there was an awful lot more, enough in fact to make me turn tail and run for home.
Turns out the bucket containing the anchor and chain had managed to find a very soft spot in the planking on the journey there. I wanted the boat for Cobnor so set-to with repairs. It reminded me of digging out rusty sills with a screw driver on my first cars. Just keep poking until you hit solid ground.
I managed to stop at the keelson and a handy bilge runner then square it off at a frame and the transom. A bit of joggling and some of the spare Robbins Elite from the Morbic and we were back in business.
I managed to get to Cobnor with a serviceable boat and had a fantastic time sailing on my own and was joined by my very enthusiastic crew for the second week.
It'll be a few weeks before I can get back to the Morbic, more goofing off, Oh yes and Katie Beardie still has a hole in her bottom, hope its a mild winter.
Nice colour Graham. I second the boredom . Just got primer and first coat all over. More paint needed. But you have a lovely finish on her. I did wonder two days ago why I was feeling so light headed for about three days, it only dawned on me this morning - spending the whole day with your head inside the hull painting. Duuur ! Can't wait to see her turned over.