New Boat Magazine!

BarnacleBill BarnacleBill

New Boat Magazine!

I am now publisher and editor (as well as tea boy) at Barnacle Bill Magazine. BBM is about boats and the adventure of boats. It's for people who enjoy building and messing about in boats and it's for people who dream about building and messing around in small boats.
We're crowd funded and the first 1000 digital subscribers become Patrons - it's $2 a month subscribe to the digital edition and you can do so by clicking the link below. We are being published by The Hexham Magazine Company and are that company's flagship publication
Issue 1, January 2016 will have about 34 pages and is due to be published in early December, we have some excellent content from some of the leading independent boat designers in the world as well as reports and reviews, history and expedition content.
Please , don't feel obliged to subscribe but I would be very grateful if you would, and i genuinely think that you will enjoy the content. There are several levels of subscription you can choose from digital or print copy. The title is monthly and is professionally produced and printed.
January 2016 will include articles on the Storer OpenGoose/Oz Goose, John Welsford, Osbert Lancaster, Gavin Atkin, The legacy of Arthur Ransome, 15' clinker classic dinghies, round the Isle of Wight in sailing canoes, A visit to Overwater Boats in Cumbria, a retrospective of Henry 'Chippy' MacNish, Shackleton's shipwright on the Endurance expedition and much more. we are already at 36 pages for January and February and March are filling up!
Throughout the year we'll be collaborating with Duckworks Magazine and Small Craft Advisor Magazine in the United States on some international projects and will be sponsoring at least one expedition/raid...circumnavigation of The Isle of Skye anyone?

I've communicated with Paul and Graham and we'll be working with the HBBR to see what we can do to support you guys and encourage more people into the wonderful world of sawdust and epoxy reactions! ...sorry..boat building.

You can subscribe here

https://www.patreon.com/BarnacleBill?alert=1&ty=h

Re: New Boat Magazine!

Greetings all.
Richard has now published the first edition of Barnacle Bill Magazine

He has generously made the first edition free of charge in order to create some interest and spread the word. You can read it here Barnacle Bill

or better still why not subscribe here, https://www.patreon.com/BarnacleBill?ty=h

It costs less than the price of a pint.
Go on you know you deserve it.

Cheers then.
Grum.
BarnacleBill BarnacleBill

RE: New Boat Magazine!

Thanks Graham.

Folks – does anyone know of anyone in the UK who has built or owns a Jim Michalak ‘birdwatcher cabin’ style boat?

I’m planning a feature on this style of boat in March and whilst the designs are popular in the States and in Oz and NZ I have

Yet to find anyone who is sailing one in the UK/Ireland which seems odd because the design looks very suitable for lake work here.

Anyway, if anyone has , please can they let me know or ideally put me in touch

Cheers folks

Richard has now published the first edition of Barnacle Bill Magazine

He has generously made the first edition free of charge in order to create some interest and spread the word. You can read it here Barnacle Bill

or better still why not subscribe here, https://www.patreon.com/BarnacleBill?ty=h

It costs less than the price of a pint.
Go on you know you deserve it.

Cheers then.
Grum.

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/New-Boat-Magazine-tp4029198p4029218.html

To unsubscribe from New Boat Magazine!, click here.
NAML

Avast logo

RE: New Boat Magazine!

I have had a missive from the Rodent Entrapment Officer.
He reminds me that there was what we think was a Michalak Birdwatcher at Barton a few years ago.

Quote "Greetings Dark Lord,
Further to the question posed by "Barnacle Bill" ***  I seem to remember, on possibly the first HBBR Barton Gathering,  meeting a chap on the staithe at Neatishead with his recently completed "Birdwatcher".  As per usual. I don`t recall any details, do you ?  I sort of recall some of the assembled gentlemen, possibly Tim o` C,  having quite a chat with him. I think it was a green craft.

Cheers    He o` t` rodent entrapment.

***  "Barnacle Bill"    Did not this gentleman appear in a very dodgy bit of doggerel from yesteryear which I can`t quite recall but was of a similar ilk and pedigree  to that good lady you will no doubt remember as "Eskimo Nell"  ??"

 I think it was the second time we were there when Gavin's lad got a bit wet in Timmo's Ardilla.

The first time we were there was when Wayne landed in the catch net, and CW and Tony broke the mast on the Shearwater, what larks, Happy memories!

The Birdwatcher resembled a skip with a couple of telephone kiosks laid on deck, or maybe a couple of paradox's rafted up with a corridor down the middle. They hadn't even bothered to put the mast on the centreline but I remember seeing it again as I battled into a headwind up Barton Broad and it was going like a train. I would have taken a photograph but if I stopped paddling I immediately started going backwards.

The guy and his wife turned up at Neatishead Staith and then disappeared again.
Anyone remember or know who he was?

Grum
BarnacleBill BarnacleBill

RE: New Boat Magazine!

Brilliant work Watson!

I can certainly recall seeing a photo of a 'granny Smith' green floating skip with a phone booth on top close hauled on tinterweb as I've been trolling for answers, I'll see if I can find the pic again.

Certainly a michalak design of it looks like a number 32 with a mast sticking out at an odd angel but appears to sail like a train full of valkeries on a day off from giving picking which viking to smoke.

Although I may be hallucinating all this as I've taken to bed with lurgy and a temperature as a result of spending a weekend reading J Slocum non stop.

Sent with Fluent Mail
www.fluentmailapp.com

On 7 December 2015 17:25:52 GMT+00:00, "Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have had a missive from the Rodent Entrapment Officer.
He reminds me that there was what we think was a Michalak Birdwatcher at Barton a few years ago.

Quote &quot;Greetings Dark Lord,
Further to the question posed by &quot;Barnacle Bill&quot; *** &nbsp;I seem to remember, on possibly the first HBBR Barton Gathering, &nbsp;meeting a chap on the staithe at Neatishead with his recently completed &quot;Birdwatcher&quot;. &nbsp;As per usual. I don`t recall any details, do you ? &nbsp;I sort of recall some of the assembled gentlemen, possibly Tim o` C, &nbsp;having quite a chat with him. I think it was a green craft.

Cheers &nbsp; &nbsp;He o` t` rodent entrapment.

*** &nbsp;&quot;Barnacle Bill&quot; &nbsp; &nbsp;Did not this gentleman appear in a very dodgy bit of doggerel from yesteryear which I can`t quite recall but was of a similar ilk and pedigree &nbsp;to that good lady you will no doubt remember as &quot;Eskimo Nell&quot; &nbsp;??&quot;
&nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;I think it was the second time we were there when Gavin's lad got a bit wet in Timmo's Ardilla.
&nbsp;
The first time we were there was when Wayne landed in the catch net, and CW and Tony broke the mast on the Shearwater, what larks, Happy memories! &nbsp;

The Birdwatcher resembled a skip with a couple of telephone kiosks laid on deck, or maybe a couple of paradox's rafted up with a corridor down the middle. They hadn't even bothered to put the mast on the centreline but I remember seeing it again as I battled into a headwind up Barton Broad and it was going like a train. I would have taken a photograph but if I stopped paddling I immediately started going backwards.

The guy and his wife turned up at Neatishead Staith and then disappeared again. &nbsp;

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/New-Boat-Magazine-tp4029198p4029220.html
To unsubscribe from New Boat Magazine!, click here.

RE: New Boat Magazine!

This post was updated on .
Well what do you know.

Apparently the Birdwatcher is a different boat designed by Phil Bolger.
The Jim Michalak boat is called an  IMB.
And if we google that children it takes us to the old HBBR wordpress web site where we see the actual boat in question at Neatishead.
Michalak IMB

I don't know who's photo it is, but only a few of us had editorial rights to that site so its either, Chris Perkins, Chris Partridge or Paul Hadley's. I would however bet a sovereign that that wet-suit belongs to Gavin Atkin's Son Ewan, and that hairy knee may even belong to Gavin so he may know more about the boat and its owner.

More happy memories of the occasion can be seen here;
https://ukhbbr.wordpress.com/past-events/barton-turf-may-23-24th-2009/

We must go there again, Oh yes I think a visit has been mentioned for next year.
Roll on Spring.
BarnacleBill BarnacleBill

RE: New Boat Magazine!

Brilliant!
Thanks, it is slowly registering in my fever addled mind the elusive answer you have found is sitting in the virtual staff room in BBM Towers in the form of technical columnist, Gavin Atkin, that knee might be the evidence we need!!
I'll wander down the virtual editorial corridor and have a chat with him.

Btw, let's get HBBR featured as 'playmate of the month' .. I mean club of the month in February, I'd only need a few dozen words on the club, meets and some pics.

--
Sent with Fluent Mail
www.fluentmailapp.com

On 7 December 2015 18:36:13 GMT+00:00, "Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well what do you know.

Apparently the Birdwatcher is a different boat designed by Phil Bolger.
The Jim Michalak boat is called an &nbsp;IBM.
And if we google that children it takes us to the old HBBR wordpress web site where we see the actual boat in question at Neatishead.
Michalak IBM

I don't know who's photo it is, but only a few of us had editorial rights to that site so its either, Chris Perkins, Chris Partridge or Paul Hadley's. I would however bet a sovereign that that wet-suit belongs to Gavin Atkin's Son Ewan, and that hairy knee may even belong to Gavin so he may know more about the boat and its owner. &nbsp;

More happy memories of the occasion can be seen here;
https://ukhbbr.wordpress.com/past-events/barton-turf-may-23-24th-2009/

We must go there again, Oh yes I think a visit has been mentioned for next year.
Roll on Spring.

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/New-Boat-Magazine-tp4029198p4029222.html
To unsubscribe from New Boat Magazine!, click here.
NAML
BarnacleBill BarnacleBill

RE: New Boat Magazine!

I thought it was more likely to be a Michalak version. PB was great with concepts but the best versions seem to be modifications of those concepts by folk like Mik and Jim.

They are odd looking but the YouTube evidence looks compelling when they are under sail. I can't help but thinking what a great weekend boat they might be, a mate with a 23 ft sloop on Ullswater was bemoaning the expense and hassle of maintenance and the time taken in deployment. He was expressing amazement at these odd designs and their sheer practicality.

Ive emailed the Gavster

NAML
BarnacleBill BarnacleBill

RE: New Boat Magazine!

Extraordinary self righting ability.

http://www.jimsboats.com/15feb10.htm

I've been itching to build a scamp but you know, the IBM is cheaper and more practical as a camper with kids.

It just looks so... Well....

And the Scamp is a fine looking wee salty boat

NAML
BarnacleBill BarnacleBill

RE: New Boat Magazine!

Bolger is like Andre Lefebre, the great French car designer who drew the DS... Michalak is Phillipe Opron, his apprentice and the designer of the Citroen CX
Men who completely ignored design convention in every aspect of the vehicles they drew. Every technical challenge has a unique and innovative solution.
Not everyone's casse du tea but quite extraordinary nonetheless.

[...]

NAML
inwe inwe

RE: New Boat Magazine!

I feel it can't be Timmo as I feel sure he was partaking of a case of submergence at the top end of the staithe at the time. If I have the year correct.

Re: New Boat Magazine!

Thanks Richard

I remember the dunking (and your assistance in retrieving me) but don't remember the IMB. Maybe if someone has a picture of the underside it would jog my memory?

On 7 Dec 2015, at 20:46, inwe [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I feel it can't be Timmo as I feel sure he was partaking of a case of submergence at the top end of the staithe at the time. If I have the year correct.

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/New-Boat-Magazine-tp4029198p4029227.html
To start a new topic under For Sale/Wanted/Recycling, email [hidden email]

inwe inwe

Re: New Boat Magazine!

I think you will find the photo was taken by Chris Perkins who by chance took quite a few!!!!!!
Including the one below: sorry Tim.

Re: New Boat Magazine!

For a complete numpty I look ridiculously pleased with myself. Perhaps I was thinking how lucky I was not to have had the life jacket inflate on me. Apologies to CW too, looks like I was doing my best to bring him into the water as well.

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/New-Boat-Magazine-tp4029198p4029231.html
To start a new topic under For Sale/Wanted/Recycling, email [hidden email]

Re: New Boat Magazine!

The dunking was rather amusing to watch, especially as Timmo is a self-confessed "outdoor pursuits teacher"

The IMB boat looks like a standard beamy dinghy with extra freeboard (like MilliBee) but the most impressive 'windage' cabin ever invented!

Re: New Boat Magazine!

My just come uppance! The 35 years since I was ever paid to do any outdoor activities were clearly showing.

On 9 Dec 2015, at 09:31, Paul (admin) [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

The dunking was rather amusing to watch, especially for a self-confessed "outdoor pursuits teacher"

The IMB boat looks like a standard beamy dinghy with extra freeboard (like MilliBee) but the most impressive 'windage' cabin ever invented!

-Paul
Sail when you can, motor when you can't http://www.millibee.co.uk

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/New-Boat-Magazine-tp4029198p4029233.html
To start a new topic under For Sale/Wanted/Recycling, email [hidden email]

David Bewick David Bewick

Re: New Boat Magazine!

<quote author="Timmo">
For a complete numpty I look ridiculously pleased with myself.

Tim, It could have been the look of a sharp intake of breath at the moment when your nadgers hit the water?

David.

Re: New Boat Magazine!

Thanks... you've summoned a new detail from the memory banks!

Tim.

On 10 Dec 2015, at 09:50, David Bewick [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

<quote author="Timmo">
For a complete numpty I look ridiculously pleased with myself.

Tim, It could have been the look of a sharp intake of breath at the moment when your nadgers hit the water?

David.

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/New-Boat-Magazine-tp4029198p4029235.html
To start a new topic under For Sale/Wanted/Recycling, email [hidden email]