New Canoe

Chris Adeney Chris Adeney

New Canoe

Does anyone know anything about the Gilpatrick Laker 13 canoe? I remember trying one at Cotswold Park a couple of years ago. I'm thinking of building a new canoe as although last year's one was very attractive it proved to be extremely difficult to canoe against the wind on the Thames as the bow kept on getting flicked around. What I wanted something small, suitable for one person, relatively light, stable, and with good tracking so it is possible to paddle comfortably against the wind on a river such as the Thames. I remember this canoe is being attractive and easy to build. Chris A.
BrianP BrianP

Re: New Canoe

Build thread, you may have seen, here

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?15522-13-Laker-(Strip-Canoe)

I like his designs. The book with all the free plans is terrific value. It's noticeable how full the ends are when you look at the mould shapes. The build method allows much fuller ends than epoxy ply seems to allow.

I bought the book new last July from the Book Depository for just £9.97,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1565234839/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Brian

Re: New Canoe

Don't know about the Gilpatrick Laker, I do know a significant number of otherwise devoted open canoe single blade paddlers resort to a double blade kayak paddle when punching into a headwind.  Need one with a reasonably long shaft, best jointed for stowing away when not needed. I found one that breaks into four pieces on E-Bay a few years ago that was very cheap! Haven't looked recently.

On 16 Jan 2013, at 13:20, Chris Adeney [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> Does anyone know anything about the Gilpatrick Laker 13 canoe? I remember trying one at Cotswold Park a couple of years ago. I'm thinking of building a new canoe as although last year's one was very attractive it proved to be extremely difficult to canoe against the wind on the Thames

Ratcatcherjohn Ratcatcherjohn

RE: New Canoe

Chris    Just book a tow from TBA   She goes to windward like the proverbial off a stick !!!

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 05:21:03 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: New Canoe

Does anyone know anything about the Gilpatrick Laker 13 canoe? I remember trying one at Cotswold Park a couple of years ago. I'm thinking of building a new canoe as although last year's one was very attractive it proved to be extremely difficult to canoe against the wind on the Thames as the bow kept on getting flicked around. What I wanted something small, suitable for one person, relatively light, stable, and with good tracking so it is possible to paddle comfortably against the wind on a river such as the Thames. I remember this canoe is being attractive and easy to build. Chris A.

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/New-Canoe-tp4026093.html
To start a new topic under Introduce Yourself, email [hidden email]
WalneyJohn WalneyJohn

RE: New Canoe

This post was updated on .
Hi Chris,
I was my canoe that you tried out, the 13 feet Laker is the same as the 16 feet version but with two frames removed when building. I can confirm that it is a light and stable design, however with the large flatish bottom, tracking can leave a bit to be desired.

According to Gilpatrick's book you could add a longitudinal keel and bilge runners that will help a little with directional stability although he does not like them for asthetic reasons.

The tight bilges of this design can help with paddling a straight course when combined with edging / leaning, which alters the hull shape presented to the water, lowering the resistance to turning.

More weight forward when paddling into the wind also helps to keep a straight line. You could also consider adding a strap-on skeg (sounds kinky) similar to those used on sea kayaks, this will stop the aft end spinning whilst paddling.

Regards
John
WalneyJohn WalneyJohn

RE: New Canoe

Chris,
I have the Gilpatrick book at home if you would care to borrow it.

Send me a private email if you're interested to: jsharpe4(at)sky.com

Regards
John