New Topic Button

Alan Alan

New Topic Button

Sometimes people post in the wrong area and I think this is because there is a "New Topic" button both above and below each forum area. Is this something that could be changed, i.e. put the button inside each forum area?
And even more minor: The "insert image" button in the Insert Image Dialogue Box doesn't "click" so the user doesn't know if the command is being responded to, until several seconds later.

But compared to the latest Safari I am now lumbered with - slower and with more errors - Nabble is miraculous. (Oh, and I can no longer use javaprop.)

Re: New Topic Button

Hi Alan,
Alan wrote
Sometimes people post in the wrong area and I think this is because there is a "New Topic" button both above and below each forum area. Is this something that could be changed, i.e. put the button inside each forum area?
As one of Paul's "moderators" I am able to edit the CSS code on the forum. I will see if it is possible to edit the styling code to make it clearer that the "New topic" and "View" links under each area apply to the area above and not below - but it may have to wait till after Christmas.

However, there is something else that can could be done to improve matters. Currently, on the forum's "Home page", the "New Topic" link at the top of the page is not set up optimally. If you use it you will post a message to the general forum, when the intention is that all messages should be posted in one of the specific areas.

Paul, as a moderator I can't alter that behaviour. Can you edit the User Permissions for the top level area to remove the "Create_topic" permission for all user groups. IMPORTANT: That means that all the subordinate areas will inherit that inability to post, so you MUST then need to visit each and every subordinate area and modify their User Permissions to reinstate the "Create_topic" and "Reply" permission.

The effect of that change should be that anyone attempting to use the top level "New Topic" link will be presented with a list of areas in which they are allowed to post. Click on the appropriate one and they are only then sent to the message composition screen.
And even more minor: The "insert image" button in the Insert Image Dialogue Box doesn't "click" so the user doesn't know if the command is being responded to, until several seconds later.
That is largely down to the speed of your connection - and I have little sympathy.  Explanation follows:

My broadband service is satellite-based and that suffers huge latency - to use the jargon.

Here is the backwoods of Norfolk I gave up on relying on a landline to provide an acceptable connection - even the promised "fibre to the cabinet service", should it ever arrive, is not expected to give me a connection greater than 2Mbps.

The delay after any click is something you have to get used to. My click, instead of having a travel, at most, a few thousand miles before you get a response has to travel 22,500 miles up to the satellite then after switching within the satellite, another 22,500 miles back to earth, before it then continues its way on the various terrestrial connections to the server that others experience. Once the server has done its stuff the result then has to find its way back through the terrestrial cables beofre popping up to the satellite and back down again to me. I don't think you know how lucky you are!

Re: New Topic Button

Hi Alan,

I've just taken a quick look at the code and remembered why I haven't implemented something similar on my own forums.

Not only will it require some CSS coding (which I am capable of doing), but it also requires some NAML code adjustments (for which I have to be added to the Administrator group).

In technical terms, the NAML needs to be edited so that as it generates the HTML code for the page, it assigns the appropriate table cells to a special class. With that change in place, it should then be relatively easy to adjust the appearance of just the right cells but no others.

This is definitely one for after Christmas, but probably possible!

Re: New Topic Button

Alan,
If you hover the mouse over the buttons in a second or two the help text will pop up. Like "Create Post in General Topic".

I do that every time just to be sure.

Paul

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Re: New Topic Button

We use satellite broadband in France and can concur with your comments about latancy delays. However, once the clicks are registered and the file starts to download, it arrives pretty damned fast. Certainly better than the .5mb available over the landline in our locality (assuming the guy that trims the hedges hasn't once again taken the phone lines out with his flail!)

[...]

Hi Paul,

I've re-visited changing the bottom row and think it may be easier than I thought.

Can you edit line 247 of the macro: subapp_section_extra_row

Currently it reads:
Please modify that line to read:
That should give the row a unique handle that will allow me to change the appearance of the "New Topic • View more »" row  and nothing else, so it appears to be part of the section above.

And if I don't come up with some CSS code that satisfies then no harm is done as the change you make, by itself, has no impact on the appearance of the page.

Let me know when you make the edit and I'll add the CSS changes.

Re: New Topic Button

Greg,

I can't find "subapp_section_extra_row" - which page is it on?

Re: New Topic Button

This post was updated on .
OK found it. It now reads.

<nabble_embed> <override_macro name="subapp_section_extra_row"........     <tr class="subappextrarow"> ........... </nabble_embed>

Nabble Embedded as the browser/renderer try to process the HTML

Re: New Topic Button

Hi Paul,

Thanks!

You should see that the  "New Topic • View more »" row is now in the light colour that matches the block it belongs with and there is a dark bottom border to separate it from the following section.

I hope that does the job.

Are you going to have a go at editing the permissions so that the top level "New Topic" link can't be abused?
Alan Alan

Re: New Topic Button

Fantastic! What great service from Greg and Paul. That looks much better to me, I hope the other users find it an improvement.
I think I described the issue with the button very poorly. What I meant was the button doesn't visibly "move" or audibly click; I wasn't complaining about the time taken for the image HTML (if that's what it is) to be inserted in the text box. Trivial really, as I now know that it always works.
Apologies for asking when everyone has better things to do, Happy Christmas All.