Newbie, Hello

tonyand tonyand

Newbie, Hello

Hi,
Having just launched my Puddle Duck Racer, "The Mucky Duck"*, I thought I'd better introduce myself to the group.
69, more or less retired, living on a narrowboat with my wife and 2 dogs, suffering a bit from a wonky back.
The initial impulse for the build was to provide some exercise for my back, with my physio's approval. However, the imagination starts to wander during those long hours in the workshop inhaling epoxy & paint fumes, so now we're planning to carry it on top of the campervan I'm converting for European touring next year (if they'll let us in after Brexit). Maybe in time I can upload some pictures on the Amsterdam canals or in front of the Doge's Palace.
Future plans are to add a spritsail and possibly a small outboard.
I picked up on the "Insurance for home-built things" thread and have just insured through Noble Marine - Thanks for the info.
Incidentally, I now appear to be master and commander of 2 vessels; one weighs 15 tons and the other about 50lb.
Tony
*There's a well known canal pub nearby at Fradley Junction called the Swan. Boaters know it as the Mucky Duck.
John P John P

Re: Newbie, Hello

Hi Tony  - is that foam sandwich?  If so it should be light and ideal to go on top of a camper van.

A bit of one-upmanship - sorry - but if pressed I could find pictures of our home made sailing dinghy on both the Amsterdam canals and in front of the Doge's Palace (in Venice I take it).  The boat reached the former location 'on its own bottom' as an extension to one of the HBBR Thames raids. The latter destination was reached with the help of car and boat trailer.  Both interesting places to visit, but the old city of Venice is not really accessible to small private boats, although you might find a berth at one of the boatyards away from the tourists on the northern side of the city.  After a quick sail close past Venice old city we then headed for a marina at Fuscina and our subsequent day trips to Venice were via the hourly ferry from Fuscina.

tonyand tonyand

Re: Newbie, Hello

Hi John,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, it is foam sandwich. The Duck has to sit in the water permanently so I didn't want anything that could rot. I also hoped for light weight but at 76lb (weighed it yesterday) I'm a bit disappointed. I'd guessed around 50lb but secretly hoped for less than 40lb. I have a tendency to be a bit belt-and-braces so it could probably be made lighter.
Thanks for the information re Venice. We honeymooned there and loved the place. I need to research licensing etc. for small boats on the continent generally but there doesn't seem much point until this Brexit mess staggers to it's sorry conclusion.
Amsterdam seems one hell of an extension to a Thames raid.
Tony
John P John P

Re: Newbie, Hello

Hi Tony, yes, Lechlade to Amsterdam and beyond was one of our best trips - after spending a week in the Sixhaven marina accross the river from Amsterdam central train station we went back to the Islemeer, visited Edam and Enkhousen then accross the Islemeer to Stavoran and the Frisian canals and lakes. Through Frisland and out into the Waddensea at Lauwersoog. Accross the Waddensea to the island of Scheermonikoog.  After that we sailed back into Friesland then made a train journey to the UK to collect our car with the boat trailer on the roof rack, then brought the boat back by road.  So we did our sailing with the great benefit of the prevailing winds then returned by road - a plan we have followed for several of our trips.

I am not aware of any current licensing requirements for small boats visiting the rest of Europe from the UK. Who knows if that will change after Brexit, if it does it may not change for quite a long time from now - perhaps years? The RYA website should be a good place to look for information about this.  Having made a dozen or so trips accross the channel with our sailing dinghy I can say that I have never been asked for any documents on arrival on either side.  Indeed, I suspect that no one seeing us arrive has even thought that we might have started from another country. If a sailing dinghy enters some small harbour or lands on a beach the assumption made by anyone watching from the shore would likely be that it has popped round from somewhere just along the coast.  And if it arrives in some remote place, possibly in pitch darkness, who will even see.

tonyand tonyand

Re: Newbie, Hello

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply. For some reason it went to my spam folder so I've only just seen it (you don't want me to launder a few million from Nigeria, do you?).
Useful information on European licensing, though as we've both suggested, who knows what the position will be by next year. If you'll excuse me getting political, I'm joining a Remain march in London on Oct 19th, so no doubt that will kill the whole Brexit process. I wish.
Meanwhile the Duck creeps towards readiness. I had to raise the rowlocks by 3" to stop the oars whacking my knees, and while modifying the cover for a better fit we had a tremendous prolonged rain storm, so I've just bailed out over 90L of water. I'm also fitting a pair of front view mirrors as I currently find it almost impossible to see what's ahead of me; a fairly major requirement on a tight, twisty canal with big, steel narrowboats likely to appear round a bend at any time.
Regards,
Tony

On Tuesday, 24 September 2019, 22:09:09 BST, John P [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Newbie-Hello-tp4031141p4031160.html
To unsubscribe from Newbie, Hello, click here.
NAML