Of Fenders and Foil

This post was updated on .
These days, I bumble around with several household jobs on the go at once....

You know, picking up bits of part finished projects, scratching my head for a few minutes and putting them down again, having remembered why I gave up last time.  There are a couple that keep coming back -

1.  A long time ago, I acquired a lovely fender made by Kesteren of Holland.  It's quite grubby, but it looks as if a white spirit scrub will help that, the same thing would probably do my hide quite a lot of good too.  The other problem is it could do with a little more air inside - this does not apply to me; I'm full of the stuff and it's well up to temperature.  The fender has a small 4 mm. (?'filler') hole near one end that has no outer cap, but a millimetre or so in, there is a brass ring-ish fitting with a dimple in the middle - it does not appear to have any hole through it though there is some awkward, white, hard substance preventing full inspection.  Anybody have any good ideas?

2. I keep thinking I am going to continue to fit out my little big van, Tranny Bianca.  Most recently Screwfix has shoved yet more advertising bumph through the letterbox and this time it has rolls of insulation based on some fluffy/bubbly filler between layers of aluminium foil.

Now I seem to remember that Jeremy, of eco-house fame, described aluminium foil based insulation as being on a par with snake oil.  People seem to continue to produce and use the stuff, so, are there any advances on this opinion, these days?  In a little big van, there is not so much room for thickness of anything fluffy, or bubbly.

Another time and place, I'll tell you more unusual stories about fenders and functions

Bothered, but not hot

Chris W
Ratcatcherjohn Ratcatcherjohn

Re: Of Fenders and Foil

Good afternoon Chris

Not sure if this will give you some clues.  ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwaXegHFH8E

PS  3year cardio MoT passed all OK

Cheers  John

[...]

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Of-Fenders-and-Foil-tp4030798.html

To start a new topic under Technical/Eco Forum, email ml+[hidden email]
Ratcatcherjohn Ratcatcherjohn

Re: Of Fenders and Foil

Chris  Looks like you have to scroll down about six items.   John

[...]

Of Fenders and Foil. These days, I bumble around with several household jobs on the go at once.... You know, picking up bits of part finished projects, scratching my head for a few minutes and...

To start a new topic under Technical/Eco Forum, email ml+[hidden email]

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Of-Fenders-and-Foil-tp4030798p4030799.html
To start a new topic under Technical/Eco Forum, email ml+[hidden email]

Re: Of Fenders and Foil

Right on the Money John!

I looked at the fender quite carefully and apart from Kesteren it also had a four leaf clover design -

M88ni - where the 88 is the clover leaf and I now realize that is actually the Majoni name, only missing its middle three letters.

All I need now is a new valve

C   ol–)

Re: Of Fenders and Foil

Chris Waite wrote
2. I keep thinking I am going to continue to fit out my little big van, Tranny Bianca.  Most recently Screwfix has shoved yet more advertising bumph through the letterbox and this time it has rolls of insulation based on some fluffy/bubbly filler between layers of aluminium foil.

Now I seem to remember that Jeremy, of eco-house fame, described aluminium foil based insulation as being on a par with snake oil.  People seem to continue to produce and use the stuff, so, are there any advances on this opinion, these days?  In a little big van, there is not so much room for thickness of anything fluffy, or bubbly.

Another time and place, I'll tell you more unusual stories about fenders and functions

Bothered, but not hot

Chris W
Not sure about the "fame" bit...

I can, however, confirm that foil-based insulation is, indeed, snake oil.  I've been spouting this for years, based on independent tests that showed the stuff was, essentially, useless as insulation.  However, last year I was challenged to do a real-world test, so I purchased a roll of the stuff and used it to "insulate" the loft space above my workshop.

I can confirm, from this experiment, that the stuff has no perceivable insulation qualities at all.  The loft space is still very hot in summer and very cold in winter.  The only useful function the foil stuff performs is to reflect light, making the two loft lights I have a fair bit more useful.

On the boating front, I'm about to try and finish off the Winsome electric boat project, after many years of it having sat with me doing nothing at all.  Both the skiff "Aero" and the duck punt "Quackers" have gone to new homes, so I'm back to only having one boat that I'm determined to get finished.  Mind you, "finished" is rather flexible term, perhaps.

Re: Of Fenders and Foil

My apologies Jeremy....

I forgot to thank you for your advice

Much appreciated