Overkill

Guys

Is there any way we can reduce the number of repeated postings.  If you look at the latest topic on the Mirage Drive, the recurrence of earlier messages appended to the next comment makes it almost impossible to read

Well, for an old fart like me anyway

Chris W

Re: Overkill

Oops.

Possibly guilty! Or among the guilty.

I normally reply via e-mail and have to remember to delete the thread. Not easy… remembering in general is getting to be harder.

From: "Chris Waite [via UK HBBR Forum]" <[hidden email]>

Is there any way we can reduce the number of repeated postings.

Re: Overkill

It's down to laziness/lack of procedure when responding by email.

This is what I do everytime:

Hit Reply, hit the End key then with the mouse select everything from the bottom up to a few lines in the previous message, then press Delete. Then I type my reply.

Alternatively I use Ctrl+A to Select All then press Delete, which zaps everything in about 2 seconds.

Admins now have the ability the edit messages, so I'll do a bit of trimming to keep the peace.

Re: Overkill

On 13 Sep 2011 at 12:19, Chris Waite [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> Guys
>
> Is there any way we can reduce the number of repeated postings.  If
> you look at the latest topic on the Mirage Drive, the recurrence of
> earlier messages appended to the next comment makes it almost
> impossible to read

This is one of the disadvantages of top posting. When you top post
you often have no idea how much text there is in the rest of the
message. If you bottom post then, for clarity, you only leave in
sufficient old text to make your response intelligible.

--
Hoping for calm nights

Alastair Law,

Re: Overkill

Chris Waite wrote
Guys

Is there any way we can reduce the number of repeated postings.  If you look at the latest topic on the Mirage Drive, the recurrence of earlier messages appended to the next comment makes it almost impossible to read

Well, for an old fart like me anyway

Chris W
The simplest way seems to be to use the web interface for posting, as you have to deliberately click the "quote" button (as I've done for this post) in order to include any previous post.

Jeremy

Re: Overkill

I'm going to open this little pot back up again for a moment

If you go back in 'Evolving Polly Wee' to where Ratcatcher John has replied, you will see that not only has he (?accidentally) appended my previous message, but the appendage has huge holes in it, like Victory's Fore Topsail after the Battle of Trafalgar; yes, the actual sail still exists and is usually on view at Portsmouth dockyard:

http://www.hms-victory.com/index.php?Itemid=120&id=87&option=com_content&task=view

These spaces do not appear (to me, on this laptop) in my original message.

None of you cyberspacemen has cared to comment on this, but let me explain a little something.  Not only do I still find any pictures added after the text have to be picked up from the bottom of the message and put back where the I want them and have placed the cursor, but also

But also, I have learnt to avoid this by prewriting the message and copy/pasting it in chunks with the pictures inserted as I go.  That is just the start; having got the pictures 'left aligned', 'medium' in the right place in the text, I then have to go through afterwards, juggling 'message' and 'preview' and insert something in the region of twenty-five 'returns', (yes the 'enter' key twenty-five times) after each picture to get the text under it rather than stuck on one side with another picture partially overlapping and odd words or phrases stuck in corners.  They are all technically in order, but trying to follow them with a human eye destroys the whole message.

The required return/enter's approximate to twenty-five but vary by four or five a time - probably depending on whether the picture is 'landscape' or 'portrait'.  This is such fun as the photographs are only indentified by title (numbers in my case) while writing them in the box and only by picture on the 'preview' itself.

When I eventually 'Post' it appears to me that each photograph is 'left aligned' with an explanatory sentence or two, inbetween.  However, it seems to me that by the time John of the Rodent Entrapment has replied, all my invisible twenty-five variable little enter/returns have magically poured through his (?e-mail) gizmo, which of course automatically appends my original message and re-inserted themselves into his reply, hence the gaps.

Can you just imagine how much fun I had aligning the last but one message, which has some thirteen pictures in it?  That's at least three hundred and fiddling times on the 'enter' key

Just thought I'd mention it

Re: Overkill

Ahh Cee Dubbs my Ancient Cyber Warrior.

Your own personal Scotsman and Single Malt Monitor here.

Get your hands off my mate Ratcatcher for he is not the guilty party here.

Your messages come with the pregnant pauses already added long before John gets the chance to reply.

Actually the version as seen on the web forum looks fine its the e-mail version which gets all tentative.

I haven't bothered to comment for two reasons. I know my postings do exactly the same thing if I try to get fancy so I keep things as simple as possible, and well it adds a sort of quaint suspense to the whole thing.
You read a bit, wonder what happened next...................

 scroll down,

 and down,

 and down, wondering if that's it...................................

and then there's another bit. Great fun.

No I don't know why or how to stop it either. No doubt there will be a genuine technical expert along in a minute to explain all, but I'll get bored half way though and wander off..............................

Re: Overkill

Chris.

HTML is a tricky beast. The message has to fit on 101 different sized screens ranging from 50in TVs to tiny smart phones.

The web browser or mail program automatically adjusts the text and pictures to fit in the 101 window sizes.

So its a waste of time getting a perfect layout on one screen as the 100 other screens might have a different layout.

I just go for a single column and leave the pictures floating:

paragraph
blank line
picture
blank line
     ......repeat ad nauseam.

Then the browser has the best chance of generating a tidy layout on 101 different screens.

So good effort old chap, but it was never to work properly on different systems....unless you become a HTML expert. I'd prefer to spend the time with your "working girls".

Paulus Computerus

Sent from my HTC

Re: Overkill

Hi Chris,

Well...

I gave up attempting to suggest what was best for you to do because when I confessed that, just once, I managed to find an inserted image appearing at the bottom of the edit box instead of at the cursor position, I felt I had lost all credibility with you.

Having said that, I would still claim that you are doing your image placement very wrong because when you say...

Chris Waite wrote
If you go back in 'Evolving Polly Wee' to where Ratcatcher John has replied, you will see that not only has he (?accidentally) appended my previous message, but the appendage has huge holes in it
that is exactly what I see in every message with images that you post.

The cause is described in some detail in the FAQ about inserting images.

What you should be doing is selecting NONE. (The effects are also described in the FAQ.)

These spaces do not appear (to me, on this laptop) in my original message.
That's because you take the long winded action you describe to fill the space alongside each image that you have so laboriously told Nabble to place to one side to allow the text to flow beside it!

What is worse is that your efforts are largely self defeating as other people will probably be using the settings on their browser to view the text at different levels of magnification to suit the own screens and eye sight and, they may need a significantly different number of CR key-strokes to skip past the image.

None of you cyberspacemen has cared to comment on this
Sadly, only because I feared I wouldn't get anywhere. I apologise. I feel guilty. I should have made the effort.

having got the pictures 'left aligned', 'medium' in the right place in the text,
And this is where you are going wrong!

Read the dialogue, then the FAQ! You are NOT left-aligning the image you are setting it to "float left". It means that the following text will draw up alongside the image. (You then set about over-riding that with all those carriage returns! Use the correct settings and all your problems disappear!)

If you want the image to be on a line of its own with text stopping above the image and starting on a new line below then you set the float to NONE. As described in the FAQ, this will make the image act as if it is the next letter you type. So you should type, or paste in, the first block of text, then hit the CR key a couple of times, as if to start a new paragraph. Now insert the image. Once the image code is in place hit the CR key a couple more times to prepare for the next paragraph and then type/paste your next block of text.

by the time John of the Rodent Entrapment has replied, all my invisible twenty-five variable little enter/returns have magically poured through his (?e-mail) gizmo, which of course automatically appends my original message and re-inserted themselves into his reply, hence the gaps.
That, of course, is down to the wickedness of our ratcatcher (and a significant number of others who post via email).

No one should ever append the entire contents of the message they are replying to when sending to a mail list or forum. The whole point of these technologies is that the software being used should already have stored a copy of the original message on your machine or at the forum. There is absolutely no need to send it back to everyone. They already have it. (It's behaviour that makes me so angry, I find myself skipping over the posts of those who did and not reading their messages! I'm sure its my loss, but I find it a pain!)

Can you just imagine how much fun I had aligning the last but one message, which has some thirteen pictures in it?  That's at least three hundred and fiddling times on the 'enter' key

Just thought I'd mention it
I'm glad you did! I needed to get my pent up frustration off my chest as well!

I know that for some strange reason we never managed to nail down why you always seem to get the cursor jumping to the bottom of the edit box - you'll need to remind me of your operating system and version and browser and version - however, the placement of images should still work for you if you follow the guidelines in the FAQ.

If the information in the FAQ with regards to image placement doesn't work for you, then let's take any further discussion to private mail, because if the FAQ needs updating, or correcting, I need to know, and an announcement of the new guidelines needs to be made.

Re: Overkill

adminHBBR wrote
I just go for a single column and leave the pictures floating:
No Paul! Absolutely not!

The setting for the layout Chris is seeking to achieve is NONE. (Floating is what is causing Chris his problems.)

Re: Overkill

By "floating" I meant not forced to be Left, Center or Right.....None is indeed the simple, reliable choice.

Re: Overkill

Hi Paul,

Apologies! I re-read your message and realised that I shouldn't have taken it in a strict HTML interpretation of the term. Damn jargon!

Incidentally, I realise that the Images FAQ does have some misleading information towards the end of it, where it talks of image sizes. The FAQ is largely copied from another forum I maintain which is embedded in a page so that it cannot be displayed wider than 750px. I will need to change the FAQ, but will wait to see if Chris finds your (much more succinct) guidance (than mine) helps.

Re: Overkill

Greg, your encyclopaedic replies make even my offerings look paltry

This time, you actually used a magic word 'None'.  How many out there are old enough to remember a comedian by the name of Charlie Drake and his Backless-Boomerang song:

"Don't worry boy, I know the trick and to you, I'm going to show it;
If you want your boomerang to come back, well first you've go to throw it"

"Oh, yes; silly me - never thought of that!"

You are absolutely right, if it don't 'float' then it sinks, not to the bottom in this case, but to the left.  I had a little trouble with 'Introducing' myself after we moved to Nabble, but then it all seemed to settle down and I cannot now remember when I first assumed that 'Left Float' meant the same thing as 'Left Align'.  I have just had a go according to your advice and my entry is impeccable - I think that is what I mean....

I rarely read the instructions, or FAQ's in this case. Partly because such things often move from the patronizing to complete gobbledy-gook like electrons round the Universe so that they are in both places at the same time while carefully avoiding being what or where you want and partly because like most blokes, I'd rather die than stop and ask the way.

The cursor still jumps to the bottom when inserting pictures within prewritten text and the text itself sometimes jumps if I go back in to alter it after it is written - maybe once it is on 'Preview'??  I'm using Windows Seven on a Toshiba laptop - standard issue stuff, but originating in the USA; any good?

I feel I should go back in and correct all my sins and wickednesses; but I have a forefoot to attend to

Said Mr Higgs to Mr Boson
"There's loads of stuff that we can't see, son!"
Said Mr Boson to Mr Higgs
"Like sub-atomic building jigs?"