Polythene Pam is for sale.

12

Polythene Pam is for sale.

I find myself with at least one boat too many so to make some space its time to find a new home for Polythene Pam.

Pam is a Selway Fisher Ranger 16 canoe.
She is a veteran of many HBBR rallies and took part in the original Thames Raid.

She is built from 4mm brazilian mahogany plywood.
She has watertight buoyancy chambers at each end with screw hatches.
easily modified to take two people.
She has a sailing rig with Rudder and dagger board.
I'm sure I can find enough bits to rebuild the rig if you want it.
sails are made of Polytarp.
She will come with a double paddle.
Will go on the roof of a fairly small car.

Could be easily converted to mirage or pedal power.
Price? enough for a few sheets of birch ply and maybe some glue.
Make me an offer.

I might bring her down to Cobnor of anyone wants to come and kick her tyres.

cheers
Graham
Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Polythene Pam is for sale.

I could be interested if she's still available.
I can only make Cobnor on the bank holiday Monday or Tuesday.

How much is birch ply?

Pete

Re: Polythene Pam is for sale.

Hi, Pete, I'm sure we can sort something out, both on viewing and ply. I'm in Scotland right now I'll be in touch when I get back later in the week. Cheers Graham.

"Randonneur [via UK HBBR Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I could be interested if she's still available.
I can only make Cobnor on the bank holiday Monday or Tuesday.

How much is birch ply?

Pete

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Polythene-Pam-is-for-sale-tp4026780p4026804.html
To start a new topic under For Sale/Wanted/Recycling, email [hidden email]
Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Polythene Pam is for sale.

PP survived another day.
More than can be said for her new owner's arms and shoulders.
Adrian led me astray and insisted we put in a short 14 mile paddle!

I'm pleased to say that the sacrificial blue paint from the runners now adornes several choice landing spots on the Gloucester - Sharpness canal...

Purton. Ready to go.

Resting

Sleeping

P stop at Saul Junction

Lunch stop after 7 miles. Are we nearly there yet?

Re: Polythene Pam is for sale.

That Adrian G he can be such a task master!

I'm glad to hear that both Pam and you survived. She's not as sleek as Iain Oughtred's finest so I think you were at a disadvantage, I'd take the rudder next time, great if there's any kind of cross wind.

Cheers Graham

Re: Polythene Pam is for sale.

PS I should have said, congratulations, 14 miles is a seriously long way in Pam, reminds me of the Thames Raid. Well Done that man!
AdrianG AdrianG

Re: Polythene Pam is for sale.

14 miles? Hmm, the S-G canal is only 16 miles long so that must mean a Sharpness to Gloucester trip is eminently do-able!
:)
...with a gentle paddle back after lunch. Ho ho ho.
:o

Must get me a sail - this paddling lark is for the ducks.

Adrian

Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Polythene Pam is for sale.

32 miles? Hardly worth getting out of bed for, especially for those whose paddles weigh less than a gnat's whisker.

I'll watch from my deckchair at Saul junction!

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Polythene-Pam-is-for-sale-tp4026780p4026849.html
To start a new topic under For Sale/Wanted/Recycling, email [hidden email]

Re: Polythene Pam is for sale.

AdrianG wrote
a Sharpness to Gloucester trip is eminently do-able!
:)
Plan it and they will come.

Re: Polythene Pam is for sale.

Me sir!

On 27 Aug 2013, at 18:36, Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

AdrianG wrote
a Sharpness to Gloucester trip is eminently do-able!
:)
Plan it and they will come.

Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Polythene Pam is for sale.

The problem is finding somewhere central to camp.
The best I can think of is Tudor campsite at Sheppard's Patch.
http://www.tudorcaravanpark.com

This is really not central enough to make Gloucester and back in a day. Sharpness wouldn't be a problem however.

Me and Adrian stopped at the excellent pub next door for some quick refreshment yesterday. (They also do B&B)

Those with canoes I'm sure could find somewhere to put in or alternatively start at Purton where there is free parking and a canoe pontoon.

Saul junction would be ideal for an end to end as it's close to half way. There is a marina with slipway, restaurant, toilets.  It just seems to lack any camping but I could explore and see if there's anything near the tow path.

Of course I'd you're not interested in doing the end to end anything is possible.

Summer is not over yet!

Pete

On 27 Aug 2013 21:09, "Timmo [via UK HBBR Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Me sir!
>

> On 27 Aug 2013, at 18:36, Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:
>
>>> AdrianG wrote
>>> a Sharpness to Gloucester trip is eminently do-able!
>>> :)
>>
>> Plan it and they will come.

Re: Polythene Pam is for sale.

When are you paddling again chaps? I'm in Gloucester and would love to make it a regular local event.

Canoodle needs an outing (11 foot canoe) and she would fly with an electric outboard!

BTW: Just got back from New Orleans and a ride on the swamp air boats. Top speed is about 40-45mph!

Re: Polythene Pam is for sale.

Paul (admin) wrote
Canoodle needs an outing (11 foot canoe) and she would fly with an electric outboard!
Lazy Sod, mind that alligator doesn't bit your bum!

Stupid Boy!

AdrianG AdrianG

Re: Polythene Pam is for sale.

It would good to see on the water, too, Paul. I'll either give you a shout when next an impromptu trip is planned (and vice versa) or else we'll give an 'organised' paddle a go. Or both.
We might have to hobble the outboard, mind! Or cadge a tow.
Kind regards
Adrian
Randonneur Randonneur

Re: Polythene Pam is (not) for sale.

Paul (admin) wrote
When are you paddling again chaps? I'm in Gloucester and would love to make it a regular local event.

Canoodle needs an outing (11 foot canoe) and she would fly with an electric outboard!

-Paul
Sorry Paul, I grabbed a weather window on Sunday and just went for it.

The idea was to paddle to the old Mill at Tewkesbury up the Mill Avon.
Unfortunately there was a big snarl up that I couldn't get through, so had to about turn and paddle against a viscious headwind (on the Severn) to the Yew Tree at Chacely (the "quiet" pub).
This was made all the easier with my nice new Werner Skagit paddles. (which cost more than the boat )
After that it was a downwind leg to Lower Lode, a quick call in at the Inn for a pint, then back across the river to the pull out before the rain arrived.

Next time I'll be more organised and let you know in advance.

Here's what you missed...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27533969@N05/sets/72157635475193796/

and some "phone" footage.
http://youtu.be/DRiEW9vmvX4

Plan is for Eckington soon and when Adrian gets back from hols, this:
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?5684-2-rivers-1-brook-%28and-a-couple-of-canals%29&highlight=saul

Pete

Re: Polythene Pam is (not) for sale.

Wow, if I had a paddle like that I'd be looking for a better canoe.
Now I just happen to have a shapely little thing called Katie...................

Nice to see Pam being used, I seem to remember taking Katie up that very same cut a couple of years ago, I didn't get much further until I met Chris Partridge coming the other way in a tea tray.

Its brought back fond memories recorded here by the man 'imself.

hbbr-at-tewkesbury

Re: Polythene Pam is (not) for sale.

What a great set of pics, Pete - brought back memories of a lovely weekend.
Thinking of which, I must get that 'tea tray' on the water again. Anyone fancy the paddle up the Arun from Pulborough to Pallingham?

Re: Polythene Pam is (not) for sale.

Chris, I have a loose agreement with CW to paddle up the Arun in the not too distant future. We are both a bit busy administering to the needs of our respective families right now but hopefully things will settle down quite soon and we can arrange something. Give it a month or so.
Cheers
Graham

Re: Polythene Pam is (not) for sale.

Excellent idea Chris

I am always rather embarrassed to invite people to Arundel to go on the river.  Hollywood may be ‘Tinsel Town’, but this is ‘Tourist Town’ and part of the programme involves fleecing incomers for parking.  Ruthie and I live in an antique shoebox, with an extremely rare and valuable forecourt, where our cars are leant against the wall, standing room only.

Next, I am also supposed to beg a fiver a hull from friends, to use our inaccessible, slimy, dog-legged, rubble-strewn slipway.  This is all very well when catching the last hour of tide, (Arundel is an hour late on high tide compared with the mouth at Littlehampton), to carry you up the beautiful, beautiful Arun valley on its subtle bore.  No roaring wave like the Severn – just a sort of four hour swelling which raises the water level to brimming, moving progressively up against the underlying current and there are pubs, really lovely.  There are also a number of bridges.  Then for the next eight hours it careers the other way, emptying out and rapidly becoming a mud-lined sluice with several knots of grumpy brown water trying to rush you past the boulders that form the bottom end of the slip itself and under the town bridge.

Anyone fancy a go?

However, some twelve miles upstream at Pulborough high tide is four hours late on Littlehampton and much better behaved – about like the Kennet, but too-ing and fro-ing.  It gets pretty narrow right up by Pallingham – the highest tidal and therefore navigable, point and in between there is a stunning pub and even more beautiful bridge (ask your liver) at Stopham:

The caveats here are a steep and also slimy, but free, concrete slip and that the upper reaches tend to be infested with fallen trees, pampas, tigers and natives with blow pipes

For reasons of human limitation, tides are best adhered to and weekend start times look approximately like this

Arundel:
September – 13.30 on 21st    14.00 on 22nd
October – 12.00 on 5th    13.00 on 6th    12.00 on 19th    13.00 on 20th

Pulborough:
September – 08.00 on 14th    10.00 on 15th    08.00 on 28th    09.00 on 29th
October – 07.00 on 12th    08.00 on 13th

The last weekend in October doesn’t suit either location

Should I continue?

Re: Polythene Pam is (not) for sale.

Chris,

Is it anchor friendly? Life is too short to be faffing around with tents with missing pegs.

Paul

Sent from my HTC

12