Polythene Pam

This is a small Photo

This is a medium photo

This is a large Photo

And this wasn't resized at all.  Its hard to get the text where you want it.

Re: Polythene Pam

Port-Na-Storm wrote
Its hard to get the text where you want it.
Image positioning follows the standard HTML rules. (HTML is the computer language used to build web pages.)

1. By default images appear "in line". (The "Float: None" Setting)
i.e. An image behaves just like the next letter in a word. Obviously it will be much taller than a normal letter so forces the lines of text apart in order to accommodate itself and it will cause word wrapping if it is so wide it would go beyond the end of the line.

If using the default positioning, I recommend hitting the carriage return/enter key a couple of times before and after inserting any image to ensure the image starts on a new line and no text will continue from the bottom right of the image.

2. Images can be set to "float" (The Float: Left/Right Setting)
Floating takes an image out of the "normal flow" (to use HTML jargon). It appears to the left or right at the position it was inserted. Any following text then fills the space to the side of floated image and otherwise continues in the normal flow of the page's content.

In general, therefore, I would recommend NOT using "Float Left/Right" unless the image is to be displayed at one of the smaller sizes offered and a good quantity of text follows the image. There needs to be sufficient text flowing beside the image to reach fully past the image and return to occupy the full width of the space available. If it doesn't then any following images can begin to catch on the earlier ones and it all gets very messy.

3. Images can be displayed centred (The "Float: Center" Setting)
In HTML terms the image is being displayed as a "Block" and that block is then centred within the space available. As a block nothing can be displayed or flow to either side of it.

This is probably the best setting for most people to use. Text before the image will stop as if the end of a paragraph. Following text will start on a new line. However, note that images that are wider than the available space will be truncated and only show the left hand portion.

Size:
Of the three sizes offered in the Insert Image dialogue, the largest nicely fills the width available in the forum. The smaller sizes could be considered for floated images.

(Paul: I suggest this answer is extracted and placed in the root forum as one of the FAQs)

Re: Polythene Pam

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your explanation. Very Helpful.

I notice you replied as a Comment , which i'm now responding to as a comment, so I'll be interested to see where it lands.

I'm sure i must have something better to do with my time but this is strangely compelling.
Grim.

Re: Polythene Pam

Hi Osbert,

On 27 Sep 10 11:43 "Port-Na-Storm [via HBBR Forum]"
<[hidden email]> said:

> I notice you replied as a Comment , which i'm now responding to as a
> comment, so I'll be interested to see where it lands.

That's because within a Gallery at the moment there is no "Reply"
option. It is set up rather blog-like, hence "Comment" is the term
used, the convention for that form of web site.

Greg Chapman
http://www.gregafloat.plus.com
A Boating Biography
http://www.seahawk17.plus.com