Re: Subscribing by Email

I think it might be worth noting that the Digest email message does not contain complete posts - only the first couple of lines . If you want to read the complete message you have to go online.

Also there is a link in the footer of the Digest message that needs changing so it takes one to the HBBR bit of the Nabble site. Simon

Re: Subscribing by Email

simplesimon wrote
I think it might be worth noting that the Digest email message does not contain complete posts - only the first couple of lines . If you want to read the complete message you have to go online.
Thanks for that information. I have amended the FAQ.

In my view Nabble does it right. A digest should be a summary of posts, not a full aggregation of the day's mail. All mail programs that I know include sufficient filter/folder facilities to separate out mail from a list, so your mail program will aggregate it for you. Surely, no one needs the list server to do it?

If you just want to reduce the volume of mail received then use one or more of the many subscription options that Nabble provides. No one need be inundated with unwanted messages from Nabble.

The FAQ already reported that you can't reply from a digest and that's probably a good thing as so few mail programs can properly handle digests properly. Few insert the correct subject line and threading information to ensure they don't break correct handling by other subscriber's mail programs. :-(

Also there is a link in the footer of the Digest message that needs changing so it takes one to the HBBR bit of the Nabble site.
I don't think that can be changed. I believe it's part of the standard text of the digest. Bear in mind that it's possible for a Nabble application to be embedded in multiple sites so Nabble has to send you to its own site. The situation is no different to that with the existing WordPress/Yahoo combination. You didn't get directed to the Wordpress site from anywhere within the Yahoo site.

To help, Paul has added a link to the UK-HBBR prototype site in the description line on the forum home page. Perhaps that link needs to be added to all pages within the forum? And, of course, you can just launch the UK-HBBR web site, as soon as you see a post in the digest that looks of interest.

-------
It seems that Paul still hasn't managed to get the permissions right yet. Responding to the FAQs was meant to be impossible. The "Forum Ideas/Issues" section was meant for this kind of message. I'll leave Paul to move both your reply and mine, in the hope that leaving them here will help him track down the problem.

Re: Subscribing by Email

Simon,

As Administrator I cannot control the content of Digest emails. The Nabble designers have probably chosen to send just the first few lines to cut down the size of the email - on busy forums a digest can get annoyingly large.

The emails come from the Nabble server which does not know it is embedded inside the HBBR blog, which is on a Google server, hence the messages open on the Nabble site.

To counter this I have put a link at the HBBR Forum level underneath the title. That link takes you to the HBBR blog.

There is a feature to automatically redirect you from the Nabble server to the Google server. So clicking on the Nabble link would open up the HBBR forum page.  I have not enabled that feature yet but I will experiment with it.