Re:Yuloh, was/; A new member

On 19 Dec 2014 at 4:59, John Shuuttleworth [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

>  My main query now if this:-  What does a yuloh do
> that a sculling oar doesn't?  So far it seems that  a yuloh is just a
> sculling oar with Attitude.i.e.  The tether, the fixed pivot and it's
> position along the loom control the angle of vertical swing and also
> the pitch and sweep of the sweep of the blade.   If that's so, I don't
> think it's bad for starters. It loses the need for skill in the
> operator and it uses all the main power just to propel.  Am I close?

I'm no technical expert, but I have been using what I am told is a
yuloh to power my boat for the last 10 years.

When I first stared I did some investigation and these are some of my
conclusions.

The yuloh is mainly oriental and has the blade of the oar horizontal
when at rest, The power strokes follow a pattern called 'falling
leaf' where the leading edge changes with each stroke. The tether and
fixed pivot are not a requirement but, depending on the set-up, can
make things easier.

The sculling oar is more occidental and has the blade vertical in the
water at rest. The stroke is called 'slalom' where the same (lower)
edge of the blade always leads. This geometry has the added advantage
that the blade can also double as a rudder when gliding. It has the
disadvantage that it cannot be easily mounted on a pin so you have to
put up with the friction of a crutch or notch in the transom.

Neither system has a reverse gear or brake so make sure your bow is
sturdy.

> I've found the Wooden boat article thanks, and you've confirmed that
> curved looms don't seem necessary, a crank on the end has the same
> effect as the blade doesn't care what goes on between the ends.

Quite right, but a nice curve can make stowage round the gunwale much
neater.

I decided early on that the terminology could just get in the way and
will usually describe my activity as rowing or sculling, almost never
as yulohing.

--
Sail when you can, row when you must, motor
when you have to be at work in the morning.

Alastair Law