Refurbishing a trailer

BrianP BrianP

Refurbishing a trailer

I am refurbishing a galvanised trailer. Just a couple of area where the galvanising has gone. While she is stripped of her suspension and rollers, I would like to freshen her up a bit, and cover the couple of bare areas.

Am I remembering correctly that galvafroid is the paint to go for?

For info, the trailer sits under a Teifi Skiff which Chris(P) has written nice things about on his blog. Very good looking and should be fun.

Brian

Re: Refurbishing a trailer

Yes Brian, Galvafroid is definitely the stuff to use.  It's almost as good as galvanising in my experience.
BrianP BrianP

Re: Refurbishing a trailer

Thanks Jeremy. It's ok to use over galvanised as well? I thought I would freshen up the chassis?

Had a good session this morning. Used a grinder to cut the rusted bolts off the suspension and rusted solid rollers. Unbolted the rusty and stiff front wheel to be replaced by a new one I have already.

Cut the bolts holding the damaged trailer mudguard, so all ready now to repaint and put back new suspension, rollers and mudguard, so it will be good as new.

Brian

Re: Refurbishing a trailer

BrianP wrote
It's ok to use over galvanised as well? I thought I would freshen up the chassis?
It seems to be OK on galvanised.  I painted some on the cut ends of a galvanised trailer stem post that I shortened and also painted over the "good" galvanising at the same time and it still looks OK around 15 years later.  I was first made aware of this stuff by the maintenance people at work many years ago, who used it to paint over the failing galvanising on security fencing, so again that suggests it's OK painted on top of it.
BrianP BrianP

Re: Refurbishing a trailer

Anyone found a particularly good price supplier for 350kg Indespension units and 5" rollers?

Brian

Re: Refurbishing a trailer

BrianP wrote
Anyone found a particularly good price supplier for 350kg Indespension units and 5" rollers?
Indespension?

(or maybe trailertek.co.uk - I doubt you'll get much of a discount anywhere for new gear)

NB Check the mounting bolt spacing. Flexitor units look very similar but have different spacing (and are now out of production). I had to replate and redrill our dory trailer when refurbishing that - a right pain

Simon

Re: Refurbishing a trailer

The last set I bought came from Towsure in Southampton (http://www.towsure.com/category/Trailer_Suspension).  It's the set (suspension, wheels, tyres, hitch etc) that's on the alloy trailer I currently use and seems to be of reasonably good quality.  This is the second or third set of suspension stuff I've bought from them for various trailers and I've never had a problem with it.  The only thing I've noticed is that the paint on the suspension units is rubbish, so I now just give them a couple of coats of something decent before bolting them on to the trailer.
Frank Baldry Frank Baldry

Re: Refurbishing a trailer

I have not tried it but Zinga sounds like a good alternative to Galvafroid http://www.zinga-uk.com/files/Zinga_versus_Galvafroid.pdf

Re: Refurbishing a trailer

BrianP wrote
Anyone found a particularly good price supplier for 350kg Indespension units and 5" rollers?

Brian
I have a pair of redundant suspension units from MilliBee's old trailer - 500kg, a bit rusty and made by TowSure.

BrianP BrianP

Re: Refurbishing a trailer

Thanks for thinking of me Paul. I think the 500kg have a larger 8 hole mounting than the 350kg and might be a bit too stiff for just a rowing skiff.

Having had all the worry of the suspension collapsing 200 miles from home, I rather fancy sorting the trailer out with new components so that I can count on a few years of dependable towing. It's actually a very nice strong custom trailer which carries the boat perfectly, so well worth sorting it out.

Brian
BrianP BrianP

Re: Refurbishing a trailer

Looking on the internet, prices and delivery were looking expensive, 5" rollers came with the wrong brackets, so decided to drive over to Ambrose Trailers in Christchurch, who have always been pretty helpful in the past.

Well. they were very helpful. Bought everything I needed for £86 which was way less than I had been looking at on the net. That includes 2 x 350kg suspension units, one new hub and bearings, two 5" rollers with correct brackets swapped for the ones which were too short, two long bolts for the front wheel and a dozen nuts and bolts to mount the suspension units.

Hopefully put everything together next week. Then refurbish the boat and oars.

Brian
BrianP BrianP

Re: Refurbishing a trailer

Rebuilt the trailer, painted interior with Danbolin, polished hull and sanded the gunnels. Then oxalic acid wash, and they look great. I thought they were teak, but look more like cedar.

Anyone know what's best to oil cedar?

Just the oars and foot plates to do now.

Brian