Well it all starts with the visit by Alec Jordan and his trailer loaded with plywood. I am no different. The new build is a Selway-Fisher Lillie. I fell in love with this boat at the Beale Park (RIP) boat show and vowed that this would be my next build. So as with so many of us Alec cuts out a good few months of labour . A 15ft sailing canoe Yawl. I also vowed that no longer would I row into the banks of rivers etc. etc.
Ready to label and cut out. The SF plans were for stitch and glue, as an awkward bu...r I prefer clinker so Alec reworked the plans for clinker-ply and hey presto.
MDF moulds ready for the strongback. I hadn't used a box strongback before always used a frame.
Having constructed the box strongback, what a job, fully 19ft long and costing me more MDF, mounting the 9 building frames onto the strongback making very sure that they were square and spaced correctly, I started by mounting the stem and sternpost , then the keelson. Once this lot was glued and planed to size The planks were cut, matched and the long task of scarfing and gluing the planks began. The planks were 5mm thick to keep the weight down. It worked because when the hull was glued up I could turn it over on my own.
With the planks glued up and planed to shape - fiting. I still had a few clamps left over from Calluna but - quite a few had gone. Oh well make some more. Started to put the planks on the frames as well as other details on my other hobby!! Oh where does the time go?
Onward a few planks.
More of this later when I can stand more pressure of this programme insisting that I taken photos the wrong way around.
I have given the bottom a coat of Jotun primer and an undercoat glued a pair of bilge runners on. Very easy turns over a treat . I also added some strengthening strips to the keel box. The exposed part of the box was only meant to be 9mm either side of the keel. Can you imagine that coming onto the beech. So I added another 9mm either side . This will also allow me to affix brass keel band either side of the box. I have acquired some 1/2 inch square st/st to fix to the bilge runners, drilled them for screws , ground the ends down , and slightly bent them to fit the bilge runners.
I decided that I was getting fed up with her bottom !!! and turned her over. Next came the carlins and deck beams. It is starting to look a bit more like a boat.
I have to admit its starting to get a bit cold so I've had to invest in another diesel heater as after a number of years my original one has packed up and so offered to the scrap heap. the bow and stern tanks are buoyancy chambers with access hatches for storage. Big black dot you see in the bulkhead.
Also pictured is the rowing thwart, this will be one of the few bits varnished. Teak !
After that little venture into painting the bow and stern tanks/lockers I got carried away , painted Calluna's lockers and started on the inside of this one. It might have been the paint fumes. Then I ran out of paint. Both the primer and locker paint . Just arrived today. Marked out the mast holes and centres of mast steps. Then forgot the hole cutters. It's called age I think! Just started painting carlins and deck beams and carried on to the inside of the hull. The deck will be the last to go on as this allows clear access to the whole of the interior without having to get in the hull. Two holes cut for access hatches. I got out Calluna's broken mast marked it out so I can now start to cut it down to size. Quite a bit shorter and thinner as well. Will start producing shavings next.
It has been getting colder in the barn and the old diesel heater packed up BER so ordered another should arrive in the next few days. I can buy red diesel from the farm.
I had the rowlocks delivered by my hearing aid person in the summer, nice bright st/st . The airline queried them but allowed them on the flight when convinced they were not a weapon of mass distruction.
I suppose that little phrase will get flagged up by phrase searches. More later.