Semaine du Golfe 2019

John P John P

Semaine du Golfe 2019

Our sailing dinghy is registered, at least I think so.  About 500 boats already registered.  Anyone else here coming along?
When we have been before we have usually extended the week by sailing a bit further along the coast or out to the offshore islands, which are lovely.
David Bewick David Bewick

Re: Semaine du Golfe 2019

Yes, John.  I've registered with my Tela "Thetis" in Flotilla 3.

David.
Frogsider Frogsider

Re: Semaine du Golfe 2019

Also going to be there.  “Salvo”, 5m Tricorn coastal cruising dinghy in flotilla 3b.  Might stay on for a few days extra sailing once the crew have gone home as I do fancy visiting the islands.

I did not build this boat - but I did have to do quite a lot of work to get her back into sailing order.

John P, what are you sailing?  (Edit: Sorry! Silly question.  I remember reading about the boat you designed and built.  Would like to see it.)

Patrick
John P John P

Re: Semaine du Golfe 2019

Good to see that we are not the only ones going to Semaine du Golfe next year. We have also been alocated a place in flottila 3, although I am thinking about asking for a transfer to flottila 2 since we have mostly been in that group before and we are 'true' sail and oar, not having an engine.

Re. islands off the coast in the vicinity of the Morbihan, at the link below if you scroll down there are some pictures and text from back in 2011 when we visited Houat and also sailed west a little way along the lovely coast of southern Brittany.  Would be good to do that again, although I would also like to go east from the Morbihan towards Nantes and Le Parc naturel régional de Brière where I hear Roger and Mary did some interesting canal (or ditch) cruising a few weeks ago.

http://www.hostellerssailingclub.org.uk/index.php/articles/sailing-festivals/73-semaine-du-golfe-brittany-2011

Unfortunately the dates for Beale Park in 2019 clash with Semaine du Golfe.  We definitely want to go to SdG, having missed the previous one, but it will be a pity not to get to Beale Park and also any Thames trip that might or might not be organised by the HBBR in the days prior to Beale Park.  To make up for this, I wonder if others here would consider an HBBR trip a bit earlier in the year, to either replace or supplement the Thames trip?  Perhaps something on inland waters that we could do with our rowing boat?

Re: Semaine du Golfe 2019

I think the problem John

With moving the Thames Raid away from the Beale Park weekend is that we would lose the kind provision of relatively safe, free parking, in exchange for the doubtful privilege of having a motley selection of smally boats providing a visual back drop of messing around in boats on the lake.

It is also apparently a celebration of the tenth anniversary of the Raid....

 C    ol–)

Re: Semaine du Golfe 2019

We won't be moving the Thames Raid to Beale Park, especially the 10th anniversary. It is already firmly embedded in many people's minds.

But an additional splash and paddle Thames event could be organised by someone. The Rose Revived pub has a short, steep slipway - just enough for MilliBee so anything lighter or narrower should be fine. Little Jim has a great trailer, so she would be ok also.
The pub had parking, camping, beer and food a few years ago. Best to double check.

Cheers
Paul
John P John P

Re: Semaine du Golfe 2019

Chris and Paul - I certainly was not sugesting moving the dates for the Thames 'raid'. I was just moaning about the fact that it clashes with SduG while at the same time trying to sow the seed for a second, probably lesser, HBBR event that does not clash with SduG.

I was pleased to find that dates for Beale Park Boat Show in 2019 are available on the internet. I had been wondering if the show would survive since I thought the number of exhibitors, espeicially the commercial boat builders, seemed to be much reduced at this years show.

John