St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

12

St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

Right then chaps I'm starting a new thread for the St Deny's Visit.

Just a reminder that this is an invite to come and visit our club and use our boats, particularly our Edwardian Rowing Skiffs but also our fleet of sailing dinghies and kayaks. You are welcome to bring your own boats but you will have to launch them at the public slipways and arrive by water. Not a bad idea actually as parking is a serious problem.

St Deny's Sailing and Rowing club is situated on the River Itchen in Southampton.
Our Web Site is here.  St Deny's Boats

The river is tidal and we need to have a High Water around noon to make best use of the double high. There are two weekends in May which would work; either 11-12 May or 25-26th which is also the Spring Bank Holiday Weekend.
Can I please have your preferences and any indications of interest.

Thanks
Graham Neil
Hon Secretary
St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club.
(Grum)

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

Thanks Graham

I'm interested and either date works for me, if pressed I'd suggest the first on the basis that other people are more likely to create plans for me over the bank holiday weekend!

On 7 Feb 2013, at 18:49, Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> Right then chaps I'm starting a new thread for the St Deny's Visit.

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

11th May for me - I think Chris P has plans for rowing the day after??

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

I'd take either

But the earlier weekend sounds good to me too

Hoping to sneak in by water....

Bedraggled, wet, windburnt, knackered, dehydrated, hungry

And sober; UGH

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

Ping - which date have we chosen?

11-12 May seems to be the early consensus.

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

If we chose that date I'll have to pass. I've just been booked for a work event postponed from before Easter because of snow!

Tim.

On 3 Apr 2013, at 13:13, adminHBBR [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> Ping - which date have we chosen?
>
> 11-12 May seems to be the early consensus.

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

The May 11-12 date was the most popular. The ice should have pretty much melted by then.
At the moment there only seems to be three takers unless others are keeping their powder dry.
So now would be a good time to speak up if any more of you are interested.

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

Sorry to have been silent....busy.
Cant do 11/12 May as I am coaching those days and it is the Hamble River Raid on the Saturday (huge fun btw). Can do 25/26 as long as I can avoid Weymouth Regatta.
ChrisP

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

I could do 25/26.

Tim

On 5 Apr 2013, at 08:23, Chris Partridge [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> Cant do 11/12 May as I am coaching those days and it is the Hamble River Raid on the Saturday (huge fun btw). Can do 25/26 as long as I can avoid Weymouth Regatta.
> ChrisP

Chris Adeney Chris Adeney

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

Sorry not to have responded sooner but I do not look at the Internet very often! I think the earlier date would be better for me but either as far as I know would be all right. Chris A.

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

At this juncture,

Would the Master of Ceremonies, care to choose a date; to discourage any more blushing and farting on the part of we pilgrims, who are hoping to come and pay homage at the shrine of St Denys?

Steady as she goes

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

Righto,
After getting a serious nudge from CW, I have now fallen off my fence of prevarication and settled on a date for the St Deny's Visit.

Due to a number of circumstances it will be held on Sunday 26th May.

While I dittered around Events took hold of the situation and decreed that is when it must be.

High Water is at 12.25 BST which should hold well into the afternoon. We can start launching from around 11.00 onwards.

So far I've had interest from; Chris Waite, Tim O'Conner, Paul Hadley, Chris Partridge, and Chris Adney, I hope you can all still make it, and I hope more of you will come, every one is welcome.

Details nearer the time.
Graham

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

Its now less than a week until the visit to St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club.
Which in case you have all forgotten is on Sunday 26th.

So far I've had interest from Timmo, CW, AdminPaul, Chris Adney, Chris Partridge, and a late entry from Wayne Oliver.
If there are any others lurking who would like to come can you please shout, similarly if any of you now can't make it, it would be good to know.

Some of you are coming long distances so you might prefer to car-share, I think there are two from the Oxford area, two from Gloucester/Cotswolds, and two from Arundel/Chichester.

Parking near the club can be problematic, there is a small car park over the river in Riverside Park but it gets busy. I might be able to arrange something once I know the numbers.

Address details here. St Deny's Boats

RSVP and all that.
Graham.

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

I'll be there! Happy to offer lift.

Tim

On 20 May 2013, at 18:37, Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> Its now less than a week until the visit to St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club.
> Which in case you have all forgotten is on Sunday 26th.
>
> RSVP and all that.
> Graham.

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

Do we have a plan regarding when people will arrive etc.? Just planning travel times and what time to pick people up.

Tim.

On 20 May 2013, at 18:37, Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> Its now less than a week until the visit to St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club.

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

Chris A,

If you are still going and can give me a lift I'll be glad to share the costs, and have a good chat along the way!

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

A plan?
Now that would be something.

You will all have heard that tides can be a bit peculiar around the Solent.

Low water on Sunday is at 05.51  the rising tide stops rising for a while during what is known as the Young Flood Stand, this will occur between 08.00 and 10.00, at a height of about 2.0m.

After 10.00 it will begin to rise again until First High Water at 12.25 at a height of 4.8m. It will do a brief curtsy and bob back up to Second High at approx  14.49 at a height of 4.4m. After that its a steady decline all the way back to LW at 18.12.

All of this gives us a window of opportunity from about 10.30 until 16.30 at the latest.

So if we say 10.30- 11.00 ish at the club.

We may want to consider a picnic lunch or a BBQ at the club. I'll find out if the bar is going to be open.

Graham

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

I will be there, but might be a bit late as I will be rowing on the Blackwater on Saturday and returning on Sunday morning. I will have to get shot of a massive grp boat before coming over to Soton as well.

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

I reckon to be there as well

And it had occurred to me to come by boat, but I'm busy being a Grandpa at until Thursday lunchtime and the trailer is only half renovated, so I do not currently even have a way of getting Ms 'PW' to the water.

Have boat will travel; hook, crook

That sort of thing

Till soon

CW
paulo paulo

Re: St Deny's Sailing and Rowing Club Visit.

hi Graham and all
long time since I have posted on here an habitual lurker in the wings.  If its not too late I would like to participate in the St Denys event if that is still possible, just me sans le boat and  I will be driving but I can take my chances over the river if parking nearby is not on, staying in town overnight  so should be able to get there early.
look forward to seeing you all on Sunday Paul
12