Quantcast

Thames 'Raid' 2012

1234 ... 18

Thames 'Raid' 2012

Since people need to get dates in diaries I thought we could propose dates for a 2012 Thames raid linked to the Beale Park Boat Show and see what the interest is.

Suggestion:

Meet at the Trout Inn by Lechlade Lock on the afternoon/evening of Sunday 3rd June 2012 when we can shuffle cars down to Beale. Pootle down the most beautiful bits of the Thames for a few days and arrive Beale Park on the morning of 8th June. The show runs from the 8th to the 10th.

Those dates are now in my diary and I'm looking forward to it.

Those interested can now reply to this thread and we'll see what the uptake is.

Does anyone want a go at planning/co-ordinating?

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

I'll try to help with the planning Tim - I'd prefer to finish on the Saturday which makes for a more leisurely trip.

Perhaps we have a two speed trip - the speed freaks can try to finish Thursday evening which will be a new record, the rest of us (including me) take things easy and sample every pub along the way within staggering distance turning up late Saturday afternoon.

I don't want to fit into a "slot" to suit the organisers because I find it too constraining...its much better to take the River as you find it and chat to people along the way...which makes it a good holiday for those in high pressure jobs.

Alternatively the live-aboards may want to take the slow route, since they can drop anchor anytine, anywhere. Hopefully I'll have a cooler box in MilliBee for the gin and tonic...

-Paul
Sail when you can, motor when you can't http://www.millibee.com
Peter Nobes Peter Nobes

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

Have we actually booked Barton Turf?  It's one of the things I look forward to all winter so I wouldn't want to miss it.

Peter

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

Hi Tim,
I'm certainly up for the Thames Raid.

I'd prefer to arrive Friday at the latest, maybe even Thursday evening, so I can enjoy the boatshow.
I'm happy to slot in with an organised time if the organisers are offering something in return. e.g. free entry and camping, I might even enter the ABBA.

If my memory isn't too fuzzy I seem to remember that last time we only did a half-day on the Thursday arriving at Wallingford around mid-day and the Friday slot was only a couple of hours so we could easily knock a night off without having to rush things.

I think there is enough flexibility for everyone, slow and fast to travel at the same daily rate.  The speed freaks generally arrived each day around 3.00pm having a well earned siesta, while the slow fleet pottered on and arrived in time for tea. Of course some of the "slow" fleet would get on better if they got out of bed in the morning

Graham

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

Sorry: this is a long one...

I hate to feel anyone thought they were doing a daily distance to suit me as the 'organiser'. I know I probably appear to be a 'speed freak' but it's not really my intention. Just that, to date, I've been in a canoe which nips along with very little effort. It is a shame the need to prebook campsites made the raids feel constraining and over organised.

My hope is that someone will actually take up the organiser mantle entirely. A different approach and style is probably appropriate and I would enjoy just coming along for the ride.

Plan is to be in a live-aboard myself next time and I have no idea how well it will go! I keep trying to work it out by staring at the moulds but I think I will just have to build and try it. Could be a complete slug. I'll probably also pack a tent 'just in case'.

The location of suitable campsites is a major dictator of daily journey distances on the Thames, though there is more choice on the upper reaches. Even then there is generally a need to book in advance for any group of more than four or five tents and, as soon as you start booking you start dictating and constraining. Being independent of campsites creates a lot more flexibility, though a significant number of mooring spots are chargeable, you have to look out for the signs. There are opportunities for clandestine camps in discreet places along the towpath, but only for one or two tents at a time.

It would be nice for people to be able to go at their own pace and certainly those of us in the easier to propel boats tend to get a lot more pub and wandering ashore time. My only small concern is that we lose the social element of evenings at a campsite in the company of other HBBR members. That may not be a critical factor for some, it's a feature of the trips that I do enjoy though.

I'd still hope to reach Beale on the Friday morning because I may (if the boat is worth showing) try for the free place in return for entering the competition.

We could be sociable on the Sunday evening, perhaps also at one or two campsites on the way down then the party could split into groups going at different paces with correspondingly different arrival times at Beale.

Alternatively we could propose meeting on the Saturday and set off on the Sunday (though the campsite at the Trout Inn can get very crowded on a Saturday night.)

Maybe people need to say what their comfortable daily mileage is and we can try and plan round that.

There is an issue with Barton Turf though. The dates effectively clash at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Tim.

On 13 Nov 2011, at 11:46, adminHBBR [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> I'll try to help with the planning Tim - I'd prefer to finish on the Saturday which makes for a more leisurely trip.
>
> Perhaps we have a two speed trip - the speed freaks can try to finish Thursday evening which will be a new record, the rest of us (including me) take things easy and sample every pub along the way within staggering distance turning up late Saturday afternoon.
>
> I don't want to fit into a "slot" to suit the organisers because I find it too constraining...its much better to take the River as you find it and chat to people along the way...which makes it a good holiday for those in high pressure jobs.
>
> Alternatively the live-aboards may want to take the slow route, since they can drop anchor anytine, anywhere. Hopefully I'll have a cooler box in MilliBee for the gin and tonic...
>
> -Paul

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

Daily distances on the first Lechlade to Beale trip were:

13 to Shifford Lock (though some of us stopped at Rushey lock after 9 miles) then 11 to Eynsham, 15 to Abingdon, 14 to Wallingford and 8 on the Friday to Beale. We did arrive very early in Wallingford but that can only be because of the current, perhaps fewer locks or some early rising because the distance was quite 'normal'!

Tim.

On 13 Nov 2011, at 17:31, Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

[...]

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Thames-Raid-2012-tp3504097p3504819.html
See how NAML generates this email

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

Peter Nobes wrote
Have we actually booked Barton Turf?  It's one of the things I look forward to all winter so I wouldn't want to miss it.
No, not yet.

Simon
Peter Nobes Peter Nobes

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

Thanks Simon.

So, who's interested in going to Barton Turf this year?

Peter

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

Peter,

On 14 Nov 11 13:46 "Peter Nobes [via UK HBBR Forum]"
<[hidden email]> said:
> So, who's interested in going to Barton Turf this year?

Please move (There's an option under MORE link) your post to the
correct place:

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Barton-Turf-2012-tp3397745p3397745.html
and edit the subject line!

Then there's a chance we'll avoid confusing those who only post via
the web.

It will also make it easier for those who would never read posts about
a Thames Raid to know that a conversation about Barton Turf is going
on!

Greg Chapman
http://www.gregafloat.plus.com
A Boating Biography
http://www.seahawk17.plus.com
Celebrating the SeaHawk!
Peter Nobes Peter Nobes

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

It's still "on topic" as my decision about the raid will depend on what's happening about Barton Turf.

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

Hi Tim, et al.

I too like the social aspect of the raids, in fact its one of the things that makes the hard work bearable, and I wouldn't have wanted to be without the banter and good humour this year when the heavens poured down. So I wouldn't like to see the company spread out any more than logistics demand.

I hadn't realised we had done those distances on the Thursday and Friday, maybe time has dulled the pain. As you say it is difficult to find a daily distance which suits everyone and which fits in with available camp sites, and I think you have done a brilliant job so far.

Personally I need the goal of reaching a particular destination each day, but I prefer to toodle along at my own pace during the day not worrying where everyone else is. I will be camping ashore again, but I'm not averse to a spot of wild camping if it is discrete. (i.e. I don't get shot at )

 As I have said privately, organising a bunch of independently minded souls like HBBR is akin to herding cats. You have so much more patience than I do!

As to Barton Turf, I won't be there if it is held on the late Spring Bank Holiday. Its too close to the Thames Raid and Beale Park. We've talked before about moving the date of Barton, usually after we've just battled against the Bank Holiday/Half Term traffic and the hire fleets have started chugging down from Stalham. The Broads is a fantastic area to explore, wouldn't it be nice to go at a quieter time. David from the DCA goes every year between the Bank Holidays and says its very quiet.

Please remember one of the factors of being a disorganisation is that there isn't an organising committee, but things don't just happen by accident.  If any of you want to have a rally at Barton or anywhere else then please start a new thread, see who's interested, and get it organised.

Peace Love and Understanding man.
Graham

David Bewick David Bewick

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

I am definitely interested in doing the "top half" of the Thames en route to Beale Park next year.  It will certainly give me an added motivation to get my new boat finished for the early part of the season.  I have no idea what my comfortable daily distance is but I will just try to keep up and get there before last orders!

At the risk of straying off topic, we will probably not be going to Barton in 2012.  We enjoyed it this year, but it is just too far for us to travel regularly for a w/e.

David.

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

On 14 Nov 2011 at 7:20, Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> Hi Tim, et al.
>
> I too like the social aspect of the raids, in fact its one of the
> things that makes the hard work bearable, and I wouldn't have wanted
> to be without the banter and good humour this year when the heavens
> poured down. So I wouldn't like to see the company spread out any more
> than logistics demand.

Agreed

> I hadn't realised we had done those distances on the Thursday and
> Friday, maybe time has dulled the pain. As you say it is difficult to
> find a daily distance which suits everyone and which fits in with
> available camp sites, and I think you have done a brilliant job so
> far.

Hear, hear!

> Personally I need the goal of reaching a particular destination each
> day, but I prefer to toodle along at my own pace during the day not
> worrying where everyone else is.

Again, I agree.

There is a big advantage to sleeping aboard. It is free to stop
anywhere on the river as long as you are not causing an obstruction
or touching the bank so arranging to raft up at some location would
be a possibility.

I hope to be there, but this time I will definitely have some petrol-
driven equipment.

--
Hoping for calm nights

Alastair Law,

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

Port-Na-Storm wrote
If any of you want to have a rally at Barton or anywhere else then please start a new thread, see who's interested, and get it organised.
Done. See this thread

Simon

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

I'm with Grum

I reckon the present formula ain't broke, so don't anybody fix it.  Once sleeping aboard then there is considerably more flexibility, but I would not want to miss the soirees and the general loose knit cameraderie.  I spend the whole intervening period dreaming of slipping silently twixt willowed banks....

To the next beer break

TimmO, you spent a long time getting the original distances and camp sites sorted for the upper, (as well as the lower) Thames and I don't think they can be bettered - I suspect more people will eventually sleep aboard, reducing the pressure on the sites themsleves and to be honest did anyone see us counted in and out?  The real problem first off was that probably none of us had done any serious exercise for the past decade and any reasonable distance would be bound to make the eyes water.  I'll be there in the great scheme of things and hopefully with 'Polly Wee', whom I hope to enter in Pete's Parade at next year's Beale, so earlier start and Friday finish for me please.

I also agree with changing the weekend away from the Bank Holiday for Barton, but keeping an extra day, or two, or seven to make the trip worth while.  The extra pressure from England on a Bank Holiday makes it hardly worth the biscuit - for how many offspring, particularly that actually attend the meeting and aren't already in the area, compared to retired adults for instance?  Children - love 'em, but could never manage a whole one

Count me in for The Trout at Lechlade and Beale Park, including any communal transport arrangements and I'll be sleeping afloat in the interim.

Bring me my brass bound bazooka; methinks I hear the drone of a low flying aircraft

CW

Oh, and for once I think I actually agree with Greg, if I understand him correctly - shouldn't this topic be under HBBR Meetings; time for a movement, Mr Admin?

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

Chaps,

For me the cameraderie was indeed the best bit of the 2009 Thames Raid - like others it felt like the best holiday in years.

It looks like the consensus is to stick to a similar formula, so I can't resist that immortal joke "I'll go with the flow!".

At a push I reckon 3 extra people could sleep on MilliBee, so if there are enough spare berths on the larger craft to accomadate canoe paddlers we might be able to arrange a liveaboard camp one night. Perhaps we can raft the canoes to the larger boats to provide protection and stability, assuming we can find a quiet spot to shelter in.
The liveaboard experience is wonderful - to sleep and cook breakfast aboard the boat that you built is a great feeling. CW will confirm it becomes your proud little world.

Grim will be over the moon to know I'll have the same smokey 2 stroke as last time, but I'll make an effort to be more raid-friendly. Another battery and a bigger charger will help as the electric outboard was a hit, especially in the locks. The electric boat association offers charging along the Thames from members houses - that could increase the range of the electric outboard.

-Paul

Sail when you can, motor when you can't http://www.millibee.com

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

As an alternative to the outboard, you now have six months to get fit enough to do the journey by yuloh....

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

Been there, done that, got the blisters.

--
Hoping for calm nights

Alastair Law,

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

If blisters are the only problem I'm sure CeeDubbs, the inventor of the most efficient of yulohs, could advise on the creation of a pedal operated, blister free system. Seems to me it would be very much in keeping with the philosophy and design ethos of the Paradox to have such a mechanism installed. I can see you now, reclining in sheltered comfort quietly pedalling along while simultaneously brewing tea.

Tim.

On 16 Nov 2011, at 09:43, alopenboat [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> Been there, done that, got the blisters.
>

> > As an alternative to the outboard, you now have six months to get fit
> > enough to do the journey by yuloh....

Re: Thames 'Raid' 2012

Actually, much to my surprise, blisters were not a problem at all, I
don't know why. Didn't I read somewhere that, even for CeeDubbs
blisters were still a problem, but not on his hands. Chris Partridge
voiced a similar complaint recently.

As it is, I may bring my Seagull outboard or I may invest in a small
generator to go with my electric drive.

--
Hoping for calm nights

Alastair Law,